Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ID's and Credit Cards in Femme name

San Francisco girl
    I have only two credit cards in my legal (boy) name... one from Citibank, and one from Macy's. On both of their web sites, there is a place to order additional cards for "family." The only thing asked was the name on the new card. No other ID. No SSN.

I now have a card from each with Wendi as the name.

Like many other girls, I never had a problem using my "boy" card. But giving a card in my fem name is quite validating, especially when sales people or restaurant employees address me with that name.

Wendi

Quote Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
    I've thought a lot about this recently as I buy online lots and some folks get confused. If I buy in my fem name I have difficulty collecting the item from the post office (UK) as they need id in the name of the person the parcel is addressed to, If I buy in my male name then some of the traders I buy from are a bit prickly. Also the stupid posties - who cant seem to post stuff to the right address are talking about me (or so a friend says who works for royal mail) I hate this big time!!!!

My solution. I'm going to change my name by deed poll and then I can legally ask my badk, Card companies etc to issue cards in my fem name that's one reason why I called myself Leslie (unisex name) Anne-Marie (sexy Fem name) the cards will be Mr Leslie A Smith. I will be able to order in my own name (Leslie) and put Ms, easy to explain away if I need to - not quite up to outing.

Thats it, I'm gone

Wow I've ordered a lot of stuff off line and never once had an issue with using my legal name... as much as I may hate it. Of course I really don't care what the shipper must be thinking about me. Chances if he's thinking transgendered his assumptions are wrong anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wendiwoman View Post
    I have only two credit cards in my legal (boy) name... one from Citibank, and one from Macy's. On both of their web sites, there is a place to order additional cards for "family." The only thing asked was the name on the new card. No other ID. No SSN.

I now have a card from each with Wendi as the name.

Like many other girls, I never had a problem using my "boy" card. But giving a card in my fem name is quite validating, especially when sales people or restaurant employees address me with that name.

Wendi
    Speaking of clerks using your name based off of your card. I used my debit card at Safeway a while back and inadvertently outted myself. The man's reaction was too good when he looked at the receipt and then to me. He was about to say my male name and sputtered out "Have a nice night" instead.

Soo... moral of the story if you have a card with a male name at Safeway and you don't want to be outted... Use cash or suffer the humorous consequences.

ok wow sorry for necroing this thread I was searching for an entirely different topic and did not even think to check the dates.
    Last edited by Jessinthesprings; 02-12-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: doh!

Kathryn Janos
    Just a thought...

Unless you can get a LEGAL ID from your issuing agency, I would not screw around with fake IDs (excepting maybe for bar usage), and I wouldn't keep it on me unless I were going to or from a bar (which means you shouldn't be driving anyway!). Always have your legal male ID on you anyway.

As to the credit cards, typically they'll give you one with any name you please on it as long as one corresponding to your legal name exists.

Think I am gonna...just take my next DL photo fully enfemm...have been taking the last few with light makeup ...just gonna go for it and take the next one fully made up ...and the hell with it.

I fail to see the point in doing this, except for self satisfaction maybe.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    When I am out en-femme and need to show my ID, I simply hand them my driver's license and say, "Sorry, the picture is not a very good likeness." It has never failed to add a touch of lightness to the situation and the transactions have always proceeded amicably.
    I'm with Holly - show them your real ID and your real credit card. The worst your going to get is a smile. How paranoid must we be if we really think some SA has nothing better to do than record your info and spend their time trying to out you at home or at work? It's a question of YOUR acceptance for yourself - can you tolerate the SA your dealing with for only five minutes at the check out knowing that you are a crossdresser?

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar

We all assume that we pass if no one says anything to us.... chances are you are being read more often than you realize. When you hand over your male ID/CC they will likely already know you are a guy.

Charlene

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    When I am out en-femme and need to show my ID, I simply hand them my driver's license and say, "Sorry, the picture is not a very good likeness." It has never failed to add a touch of lightness to the situation and the transactions have always proceeded amicably.

I do the same........just state the photo was taken on a "Bad Hair Day!!"

Quote Originally Posted by LynnInDenver View Post
    Amusingly, I use my actual legal middle name as my femme name already. Didn't have to change it legally.

That said, I've thought about getting an 'alternate' credit card, but really I haven't needed it. Usually I'm either at a location that's LGBT friendly (and they see mismatches anyway), or I plan ahead and carry enough cash for my outing.
    I question getting an additional credit card for your fem name. Just stop and think about the JUNK MAIL to your house that this would create!!!! Somehow, the fem name and info would get out and every credit card and insurance company would want you business........Very Bad Karma!!!!!

If you are seriously considering getting a fake ID, do yourself a favor and consider NOT doing it simply because it is illegal.

I have been all over en-femme, shopped just about everywhere, gotten into bars and clubs and even cleared TSA checkpoints at the airport with my male DL. Like the other girls replying, I usually said something like "I'll show it to you, but I've let my hair grow out a bit since the picture was taken". Its usually good for a chuckle or a remark like "I like it better this way" or something. Besides, at the end of the day the vast majority of us, if we are fooling anybody at a distance close enough to hand over an ID, were only fooling ourselves.

That being said, for some it is a "satisfaction thing" or a feeling of completeness. Just like some girls don't feel complete with out gluing on nails or padding out their hips, and others are happy without these things. If it makes you feel better, do it. After all, crossdressing to begin with is to make you feel better, right?

So to find out your states stance on the ID issue, give your state driver's licensing agency a ring. Ask if it is OK to have a state issued DL and an ID card. If it is, ask if they use the picture on file or take a new one. If they take a new one, ask if it has to match the DL picture. (In Texas, it is OK to have both, and the pictures don't have to match) If the pictures do not have to match, ask about the state's policy on wearing a wig, or just flat out ask if they have a policy on Transgendered individuals getting a female picture taken before having the gender marker changed.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:
    The state will not issue you an ID card with a femme name on it. Whoever says they have one is misleading you. You will have to do a legal name change, which changes your name on everything. There simply is no way to have one legal ID that says "Bubba" and another that says "Bonnie".
    The state will not change your gender marker (the little m or f) simply because you ask them to, or have your picture taken en-femme. Some states will not change your gender marker, period. Even if you have final SRS and letters from a hundred doctors and lawyers. They go by whats on your birth certificate and getting that changed is a whole other issue and also widely varies state by state.
    So that means your "femme" ID card will still have your male name and a little "m" out beside gender.
    And finally, remember that your state will now have a picture of you en-femme. That means anyone doing a background check on you has the potential to see both pictures. Although unlikely unless you are having a criminal history or security clearance check done, its still a possibility.

With all that being said: I have both a Texas DL in boy mode and a Texas ID in girl mode. Everything but the picture matches: name, address, gender marker, etc.
    And yes it does give me a little feeling of satisfaction now when I'm asked for my ID and I can show them the one with the hair style of the day.

Good Luck,
    Kim