Thread: Got total acceptance from Goth Teens

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar

Got total acceptance from Goth Teens

I've had an interesting week. Some of the highlights including some friends I've known for years but had only recently been able to catch up with and that I have recently come out to inviting me to a party.

En femme.

It was a Goth themed party as they have always had some gothic taste and their daughter is Goth. She's now 15.

I was as nervous as heck. But the level of acceptance was stunning!

Not just the family but the daughters Goth friends were there. And several other non-goths dropped in during the party.

My CDing was entirely a non-issue with them, it was natural, free and easy.

So on discussing Goth history and sub-sub-cultures the subject of gender issues in their age group came up. Now remember this is rural Australia we're talking about, it has a university in town but it's close to the Country Music capital of Australia too!

I was surprised to hear that pink has become such the standard colour of boys fashion that the girls are claiming blue now. And not only are 'man skirts' seen as quite attractive amongst teen goths and emos but its been turning up amongst the 'mainstream' kids on casual days!

The party went late and I overnighted. The next day despite morning stubble etc not an issue. More lovely conversation with people ranging from 40's down to early teens.

Then after I got home i ended up in conversation with a 19 year old Goth girl who along with her goth boyfriend I'd become freinds with over the last couple weeks. The subject of androgyny came up and I decided to come out. Again, total utter unconditional acceptance. We ended up chatting late and exchanging pics and fashion talk.

It was truly awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by battybattybats View Post
    I've had an interesting week...

It was truly awesome!
    Awesome is an excellent word to describe what I just read! I WISH I could have had such a great week when I was your age, but it was so unattainable for me back then (the whole cd acceptance thing).

I had some really cool goth friends several years back, I've since lost touch with. Even though I've always been attracted to gothic girls, I was a bit intimidated by gothic people until I had the opportunity to hang out with and worth with several of them. They were some of the most open-minded, coolest, creative, and accepting people I've ever met. It doesn't surprise me too much that your gothic friends were very accepting of your crossdressing.

What an awesome and uplifting thread post.
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

Awesome story, thanks so much for sharing.

I've encountered plenty of goths over the years and have found them to be gentle and genuinely open to whatever, even a bunch of regular joes attending the first Bauhaus reunion tour back in 1998.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Excellent!

Mrs Peel, We're needed jennifer41356's Avatar
    at the Goth club here in Dallas, The folks there, young and older dont care what people wear, the Goth culture is is about individuality and they tend to be accepting of all, because most of the "normal" population also looks at them as being weird
    Love the Goth kids and some of the clothes they wear, and of course the music aint so bad either

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Good times, Batty!

Yet ANOTHER reason to emigrate Downunder!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Nice story Batty, those people you'll always fondly remember and hope you stay in touch with them. I think the Goth families understand what its like being ostrasized by society like a lot of cd's feel.
    Last edited by Jess_cd32; 01-17-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by battybattybats View Post
    I've had an interesting week. Some of the highlights including some friends I've known for years but had only recently been able to catch up with and that I have recently come out to inviting me to a party.

En femme.

It was a Goth themed party as they have always had some gothic taste and their daughter is Goth. She's now 15.

I was as nervous as heck. But the level of acceptance was stunning!

Not just the family but the daughters Goth friends were there. And several other non-goths dropped in during the party.

My CDing was entirely a non-issue with them, it was natural, free and easy.

So on discussing Goth history and sub-sub-cultures the subject of gender issues in their age group came up. Now remember this is rural Australia we're talking about, it has a university in town but it's close to the Country Music capital of Australia too!

I was surprised to hear that pink has become such the standard colour of boys fashion that the girls are claiming blue now. And not only are 'man skirts' seen as quite attractive amongst teen goths and emos but its been turning up amongst the 'mainstream' kids on casual days!

The party went late and I overnighted. The next day despite morning stubble etc not an issue. More lovely conversation with people ranging from 40's down to early teens.

Then after I got home i ended up in conversation with a 19 year old Goth girl who along with her goth boyfriend I'd become freinds with over the last couple weeks. The subject of androgyny came up and I decided to come out. Again, total utter unconditional acceptance. We ended up chatting late and exchanging pics and fashion talk.

It was truly awesome!
    Batty,

I'm thrilled for you! That must feel really great, and it's nice to know there is a group of folks w/whom you can feel like be yourself -- whichever self that happens to be at the moment.

Great - but you seem to look a little GOTH in your pictures, so maybe that helps
    JoAnne Wheeler

Batty,

Thank God for the young who embrace their right to self expression!! I am sure they experience plenty of negative reactions to their persentation but
    are courageous enough to be true to themselves. Acceptance is something they desire and deserve and they are unafraid to push against social norms. We can learn alot from them. I am happy you had such a wonderful and encouraging experience!

Kelsy
    Born female intended

" Don't die with your music still in you!"

I've been a Goth ever since Floodland by the Sisters of Mercy was released and my drab clothing reflects that, lots of black and dark blues, however my girly outfits tend to be pinks & white for days and greens and browns for evenings. I often cover my red nailpolish with black if I have to go out in drab and I don't want to clean my nails.

I think your looking at a few things all coming together there.
    1- As a general rule, society seems to be pulling their collective head out of their backsides and being more tolerant of others.
    2 - Concerning the point I made above, the younger generation is leading the way. These days, being different IS the norm!
    3 - The goth crowd has ALWAYS been about doing your own thing and not just being one of the crowd.

It just occurred to me that there is at least a fourth point.

4 - YOU are a pretty cool person too. If they know YOU then what your wearing may not be terribly significant.

That was awesome Batty you must have loved it all.
    Angie

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I agree with Kim there are 4 good points and the 4th is a very important one!

I'm real happy for you Batty as I can only imagine how great it must of felt to have such total unconditional acceptance by so many people in the same place at the same time
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    I've encountered plenty of goths over the years and have found them to be gentle and genuinely open to whatever, even a bunch of regular joes attending the first Bauhaus reunion tour back in 1998.
    That would have been a fantastic concert!

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnne Wheeler View Post
    Great - but you seem to look a little GOTH in your pictures, so maybe that helps
    JoAnne Wheeler
    Oh I sure am, but that's not important to the revelations I experienced.

Let me restate this bit with emphasis:
    Breaking gender rules is becoming not just acceptable but increasingly fashionable! Non-Goth or Emo boys on days where school uniform is not mandatory are increasingly wearing skirts!

Quote Originally Posted by Cissy Chiana View Post
    I've been a Goth ever since Floodland by the Sisters of Mercy was released...
    I remember the moment I first saw and heard the clips to This Corrosion and Dominion. Even my Mum loved those! I'd been into Goth things for years but in country towns they were rare, usually the occassional rubber bat at the annual show in a showbag or the rare Hammer film late at night.

It was years before I heard the term Goth applied to the culture and, like most of us in that era, I refused the label because I just liked the style but I wasn't adopting the style in order to fit in with others.

A bit reactionary sure, but the criticism of us in those days that we were all wearing black 'to be individuals' and therefore were hypocritical when in fact we were all wearing what we liked and what each of us liked was often black. These days I'm less willing to be defined by opposing others incorrect views as much as fitting in with them so I proudly label myself Goth.

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    It just occurred to me that there is at least a fourth point.

4 - YOU are a pretty cool person too. If they know YOU then what your wearing may not be terribly significant.
    Awww thanks! You are very cool too!
    You as well Rachel!

And while I knew two of the adults at the party and had met two of the teens a decade ago when they were young kids the vast majority were meeting me for the first time and i doubt the two I'd met remembered it. So the acceptance from the very first moment, the warm and not in any way mocking or amused smiles when I walked into the room was before I could make an impact as a person

It was so unreal as to be at first hard to believe, then I fell into it and relaxed only to every so often feel a bit worried (such as when the discussion of boys voices breaking came up and I started talking about my own experiences without thinking or when i spotted my morning stubble in a reflection and realised it had been visible from the start with one of the new people who dropped by on the second day) but each time i was reminded again that no-one was reacting to that at all, that passing to any degree mattered to me and me alone there.

I even ended up joining in playing SingStar, dropping any attempt at a femm-ish voice to utterly fail at singing Roxy Music's Avalon and Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence! LOL.

It was truly fantastic.
    Last edited by battybattybats; 01-17-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Yep I think Ms. Kim and Ms. Rachel have hit the nail right on the head. One thing I do wish to say is that I am not sure I would like a world with no separation of the sexes, just seems that would be too much Androgyny=Android=Automaton for my liking. But then thats just me.

Lora

All I want is a world somewhere, a place to wear pretty underwear
    A dress, some makeup, hose and heels
    OH wouldn't it be loverly

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"---Helen Keller

Thats really cool Bats! I cannot imagine how it would feel to be dressed as my femme self and be at a social event and be totally accepted. I do daydream about it sometimes. I am happy for you.