Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Close to Flying En-Femme

It is what it is
    Hey everyone, I am alive I tried to post up last night, but I couldn't get on here thanks to database errors. So, I typed out the experience on MS Word. Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa Mae
    Well, I finally arrived at my destination after a night of traveling as Marissa. It was everything I thought it would be… at least when I wasn’t walking.
    I left the house at around 8:15, and began to carry out my plan. First things first, of course: change  So I stopped at the gas station up the street (because it has private, outdoor bathrooms), and completed the transformation in very good time; and, I am getting better at makeup! I wore my pink knit sweater, new dark wash jeans, and my favorite boots. I felt great, to be finally out in public doing something other than drinking at a bar or club (which isn’t a bad thing, mind you!). I drove to the airport, parked, put on my nails, got my bags out, locked the Jeep, and there I was: out and about as Marissa!

I walked to the terminal, past many, many people going on their way in life. Some smiled, some didn’t notice, and not one person said or did anything to make me uncomfortable. I knew this would be the case, but I want to reiterate to anyone who is on the brink of going out: you have more to fear from your own nerves than you do other people My confidence level just kept going up with each step, and I loved it!
    But it wasn’t all roses, and the trouble free grace period was about to end. By the time I reached the right check in kiosk (on the complete opposite side of Dulles from where I parked), my feet were in agony. My favorite boots, while looking the part, certainly didn’t feel all that sexy. I had to sit before I even reached the check in booth, but I knew that I didn’t have time to waste, so I soldiered on and got my bag checked. I hobbled over to a ledge and sat down, faced with a dilemma: I can’t walk, and I still have to go through security and a shuttle ride to the gate. As much as I hated to do it, I removed the boots and went the rest of the way in socks. Security was a breeze, didn’t get bothered one bit. Even got called “Ma’am” by a cordial attendant.

After a huge fiasco at the gate (another story not worth telling here), I get on the plane. This is where I faced what every crossdresser fears; what we all lament about when talking about being confronted with people who outright want to point you out: it seemed that I had the luck of being on the same small, cramped flight as some St. Louis school wrestling team, of high school age it appeared. Well, I guess I was getting the trial-by-fire of a lifetime. I heard a few of the kids laugh and say something at the boarding gate, and as I got on I heard the same hecklers again. But I was more concerned about my battered, sweaty, aching body, than to care about some adolescent children express their social insecurities to their buddies, in an attempt to make sure that everyone knew that they weren’t different than the norm. (if confronted by one, I had a retort chambered… something to do with guys rolling around, grabbing one another seemed more straight than… oh, never mind haha).

The flight went by without any issues. The attendant was a sweetheart. I finally had my first chance to recuperate. But as we got off the plane, within the first few steps, I knew I was finished with heels. But I had to go to the bathroom, and with my last shred of reserve energy, I made it into the WOMEN’S bathroom  Business complete, I set off again, but didn’t make it too far. Again, I was reduced to padding my way to the baggage claim in socks. I was beat, waving the white flag; I thought I had heels mastered, especially ones I have had longer than any other. When I got my bag, I changed into my pumps that I brought, which were 1000 times easier to walk in than the boots. I went to get my rental car next, which was just another matter of fact type of interaction. I was treated nicely, cordially, in a business like fashion. After dealing with high school children of the worst kind, there was nothing that was going to chink my armor!

My night ended at the hotel. I checked in (again, no issues, the hostess was so nice), got to my room, unpacked, and discovered I was hungry. I went down to the lobby to get some fast food; I had to heat it up there, so I sat in full femme, in the hotel lobby, while my food cooked in the microwave. Come on, this is nothing at this point. I chilled out, crossed my legs, dangling my pump, and watched the news. I was feeling the best I had felt all night. But there was one last hurdle to jump before I could retire: my room card wasn’t activating the elevator, so I had to go back to the front desk and have the key re-coded. Again, it didn’t work, and the manager than came out to help me. Of course, he got the key to work, and I was on my way home, to here, as I type this.

In retrospect, everything we fear as a crossdresser, the fear of being laughed and jeered at, the fear of interacting with people who know we are men in women’s clothing, the fear of being stuck somewhere dressed, it all happened to me within the span of 6 hours. But I am a stronger person because of it, and I learned a great deal about how I react in reality to these types of stresses, versus just envisioning how I would react to them if I were ever confronted by them. I was nervous at times, frustrated, but I just kept telling myself that “this is nothing but a thing, you’re ok!”, and I was. Everything turned out just fine, and I am a better Marissa now 
    So, my words of advice:

1) Wear sensible shoes. Leave the stiletto boots for the club.
    2) Wear cool clothing. I was sweating from the constant movement, and it made me miserable.
    3) Smile and make eye contact with everyone who addresses you. This goes for en-femme and en-drab.
    4) Be confident, like nothing can phase you, because you have nothing to worry about!
    5) Enjoy the sensations of finally doing something you have nervously dreamed about!

There are others, I am sure, but right now I am tired and need to shower and sleep. Good night!

I am so sore today, my calves are all knotted up, but the 4 hours of sleep I got were the deepest I have had in a long time. I was sort of embarrassed to be walking around carrying my boots, though I didn't let it get to me until after got to the hotel. So I think I am harder on myself than the general population was!

The next time (if there is a next time), things will be even better, considering this was my first time doing it. Smaller heels, cooler clothing, less baggage; that should improve the trip drastically. But until then, I am going to stick to my weekend night forays into the city

Marissa
    Last edited by Marissa Mae; 01-26-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Were the boots you wore the ones in your avatar?

If so, I think the best thing to do, given your negative experience of the heels for that length of time, would be to get rid of them. Preferably send them far far away where you'll never be tempted to wear them again.

Somewhere like my house maybe

It is what it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki65 View Post
    Were the boots you wore the ones in your avatar?

If so, I think the best thing to do, given your negative experience of the heels for that length of time, would be to get rid of them. Preferably send them far far away where you'll never be tempted to wear them again.

Somewhere like my house maybe
    LOL yup, same boots. Deceptively sexy, but don't try walking more than a block or 2 in them! I like the boots in your avatar better though!

Kathryn Janos
    Marissa,

I am SOOOO happy for you, especially considering that I was one of the doubters (never of you, just of society)! Congratulations on your trip and the smashing success of it all (well, I think I warned you about the shoes, didn't I?). I'd know all about the shoe problems.

I have what's known as "tarsal coalition" meaning that certain parts of my ankles do not move appropriately. I have little to no lateral motion in my ankles, meaning that almost all of the motion I can generate is front to back. That works great for things like biking, but it makes it extremely easy for me to break an ankle moving over uneven surfaces like gravel or, well, in heels at all.

I have a pair of 4" red beauties that I just can't wear unless I'm walking around in my apartment for less than 15 minutes or laying down (not necessarily "on my back" ). Since I'm already tall, I'm just gonna go ahead and get flats for going out with. Thanks to biking, my legs have some nice definition already, and I plan to keep it that way.

Thanks Marissa

Congratulations Marissa,

I have been watching your posts on this with great interest. So glad that you finally made your trip. I need to screw up my courage to travel as Robyn when I go to SCC.

You certainly made one point perfectly clear, comfortable shoes are a must! So much for traveling in my hooker boots.

Soooo for the rest of the story -- Are you coming home as Marissa?

Robyn

It is what it is
    Quote Originally Posted by kathrynjanos View Post
    Marissa,

I am SOOOO happy for you, especially considering that I was one of the doubters (never of you, just of society)! Congratulations on your trip and the smashing success of it all (well, I think I warned you about the shoes, didn't I?). I'd know all about the shoe problems.

I have what's known as "tarsal coalition" meaning that certain parts of my ankles do not move appropriately. I have little to no lateral motion in my ankles, meaning that almost all of the motion I can generate is front to back. That works great for things like biking, but it makes it extremely easy for me to break an ankle moving over uneven surfaces like gravel or, well, in heels at all.

I have a pair of 4" red beauties that I just can't wear unless I'm walking around in my apartment for less than 15 minutes or laying down (not necessarily "on my back" ). Since I'm already tall, I'm just gonna go ahead and get flats for going out with. Thanks to biking, my legs have some nice definition already, and I plan to keep it that way.
    Aww, thank you for the congrats I was just naive to think I could do it in 4" heels I suppose I found out that society isn't really the monster we make it out to be; people have their own lives to attend to, and they only have a small amount of time in passing to say anything, and by that time you have already minced past If trapped with a group of hecklers, just turn your nose up and realize they are the exceptions, not the norm, and you won't ever see them again after you depart.

I hope you find some shoes that are kind to your feet Have you ever biked as Kathryn? Cute tennies, sports bra, silk biker shorts, the works?

Quote Originally Posted by Robynts View Post
    Congratulations Marissa,

I have been watching your posts on this with great interest. So glad that you finally made your trip. I need to screw up my courage to travel as Robyn when I go to SCC.

You certainly made one point perfectly clear, comfortable shoes are a must! So much for traveling in my hooker boots.

Soooo for the rest of the story -- Are you coming home as Marissa?

Robyn
    Robyn,

DO IT! Plan it out, pick out your best outfit, and just go! You won't regret it at all, and you will feel like you accomplished a tremendous feat! Pun intended, you need to make your feet numero uno, and wear something comfortable. Walking around the house for a few hours in 6" heels is NOTHING compared to getting out there in the real world! I thought I was ready, in fact I had even gone out in these boots before many a times, but I think it was the looooooong walk from the parking garage that did me in. I am wearing those same boots right now, and I feel fine! Hmmmm...

Unfortunately, I can't fly back as Marissa, since I am getting in at such an early time (2 PM), and wouldn't have a chance to change back completely before facing friends and co-workers

Enough about me though, Robyn, get on that jet plane!

Hi Marissa!

A big congradulations goes out to you.
    Welcome to the Flying Girls Club. You're now an official member!

Now that you've done it, there's nothing you can't do.
    Flying in femme has to be one of the most challenging things a Tgirl can do, but once you do it the first time you'll want to do it again and again because its a piece of cake.
    There are things to learn from that first time, but the more you do it the better you get and the more you'll enjoy it.

Again congrats. I am so happy for you.
    I knew you could do it.

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Major congratulations Marissa Mae!!!

And thanks for such an excellent post describing your trip. Really enjoyable to read.

Looks like you found out a few things:

Now you know why women wear lower heels when travelling.

It feels different to be noticed (and sometimes even stared at). Scary until you realize that you've moved out from behind the male veil where no-one pays much attention to you and into "girl world" where you get noticed.

Whenever women make eye contact with each other, even as total strangers passing in the airport, they give each other a little smile and you would be out of place if you didn't do the same.

(Raising a glass in toast to you) Here's to more wonderful adventures!

Hugs,
    [SIZE="4"]*[/SIZE]

Congratulations and welcome the Flying Girls Club !

You'll find after this just about everything else will seem easy - so well done. By the way picking up a hire car enfemme is something I haven't done yet - so you're ahead of me there !

Professional Socialite
    Can't wait to hear how it went!
    To Thine Own Self Be True - Hamlet and Reba :>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It is what it is
    Quote Originally Posted by joann07 View Post
    Hi Marissa!

A big congradulations goes out to you.
    Welcome to the Flying Girls Club. You're now an official member!

Now that you've done it, there's nothing you can't do.
    Flying in femme has to be one of the most challenging things a Tgirl can do, but once you do it the first time you'll want to do it again and again because its a piece of cake.
    There are things to learn from that first time, but the more you do it the better you get and the more you'll enjoy it.

Again congrats. I am so happy for you.
    I knew you could do it.

Hugs!
    Yay! I am happy now! looking back, now that the pain is subsiding (my calves still feel like I just climbed a mountain) I am beginning to see only how much fun I had despite all of the setbacks. So yeah, I think I may have to fly the friendly skies again! I have just the outfit in mind too!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy Harrison View Post

Congratulations and welcome the Flying Girls Club !

You'll find after this just about everything else will seem easy - so well done. By the way picking up a hire car enfemme is something I haven't done yet - so you're ahead of me there !

Suzy: you got that car thing beat and you don't even realize it it takes a matter of minutes to sign the paperwork and get on your way. Just call ahead and make a reservation, and things will go even smoother. Your mission: connect the dots of flying-rental car-check in to hotel.
    Last edited by Marissa Mae; 01-27-2009 at 09:27 AM.

WOW that's great!! AND YOU GO NOVA GIRL!!! (I'm in Nova too)... at least I know now, too, if I'm tempted to fly en femme, I can go through Dulles without problem .

Here's to you!

It is what it is
    Quote Originally Posted by cindym5_04 View Post
    WOW that's great!! AND YOU GO NOVA GIRL!!! (I'm in Nova too)... at least I know now, too, if I'm tempted to fly en femme, I can go through Dulles without problem .

Here's to you!
    Hey fellow NOVA-ite Definitely, Dulles isn't a scary place anymore, you will have fun! But it seems like every time I go there, my gate is the farthest from the main terminal

Kathryn Janos
    Quote Originally Posted by Marissa Mae View Post
    Aww, thank you for the congrats I was just naive to think I could do it in 4" heels I suppose I found out that society isn't really the monster we make it out to be; people have their own lives to attend to, and they only have a small amount of time in passing to say anything, and by that time you have already minced past If trapped with a group of hecklers, just turn your nose up and realize they are the exceptions, not the norm, and you won't ever see them again after you depart.

I hope you find some shoes that are kind to your feet Have you ever biked as Kathryn? Cute tennies, sports bra, silk biker shorts, the works?
    Well, society CAN be the monster, which is why we speak from sad experience, but I enjoy being proven wrong on that front.

As to the hecklers, don't sweat 'em. Bunch of stupid kids especially, of all things. Out of any ten of them, at least one is probably gay or bi and already knows it, and one of the others may well be a future CD.

I've found this darling pair of flats that are custom made for about $100, which is a bit more than I'm used to paying as a male, but I also know about the importance of good shoes with my ankle problems. I think I'll be getting them as soon as this weekend, but it'll take a few weeks for them to arrive anyway.

I'm actually surprised that I never thought about biking as Kathryn! If I lose this embarrassing stomach in time for the summer, I could easily do that. It's a great suggestion, thank you! I just can't do the tennis shoes because I am a big road biker, and so I have clips mounted to the bike, which means bike shoes only, and I don't want to try to find women's bike shoes in my size, it's hell enough finding regular ones in my size.

All this still means that I need to find some decent forms before I go out anywhere. Especially if I lose weight, I'll be losing any size I have up there, and I'm not committed to trying to grow those babies in any way through permanent means.

I am SOO proud of you! You make it sound so easy, but I know the fear you probably had at first! As I've tried to tell everyone, you are your own worst enemy! Most people couldn't care less how you are dressed, they have their lives, and you have yours. All things considered, you may as well enjoy yours!
    Way to go lady!

It is what it is
    Well, society CAN be the monster, which is why we speak from sad experience, but I enjoy being proven wrong on that front.

As to the hecklers, don't sweat 'em. Bunch of stupid kids especially, of all things. Out of any ten of them, at least one is probably gay or bi and already knows it, and one of the others may well be a future CD.

I've found this darling pair of flats that are custom made for about $100, which is a bit more than I'm used to paying as a male, but I also know about the importance of good shoes with my ankle problems. I think I'll be getting them as soon as this weekend, but it'll take a few weeks for them to arrive anyway.

I'm actually surprised that I never thought about biking as Kathryn! If I lose this embarrassing stomach in time for the summer, I could easily do that. It's a great suggestion, thank you! I just can't do the tennis shoes because I am a big road biker, and so I have clips mounted to the bike, which means bike shoes only, and I don't want to try to find women's bike shoes in my size, it's hell enough finding regular ones in my size.

All this still means that I need to find some decent forms before I go out anywhere. Especially if I lose weight, I'll be losing any size I have up there, and I'm not committed to trying to grow those babies in any way through permanent means.
    What would a woman wear to go out biking? Pink spandex bike shorts, sports bra, a nice tank top, wig, big sunglasses? This is a new area for us, I do believe!

You know, when I was on the plane and had to listen to the kids trying to sound tough next to their friends, I thought the same exact thing: I bet one or two of them are either gay or crossdress, and if he crossdresses, he CERTAINLY would love to be in my heels right about now!!!!!

Get the flats. Enough said. I spent more on my women's jacket than I did on my drab one not to mention I have bought more shoes as Marissa in the past year than I have as a guy in the past 5!

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    I am SOO proud of you! You make it sound so easy, but I know the fear you probably had at first! As I've tried to tell everyone, you are your own worst enemy! Most people couldn't care less how you are dressed, they have their lives, and you have yours. All things considered, you may as well enjoy yours!
    Way to go lady!
    Thanks you sooooo much! Admittedly, my heart was pumping for sure I was still so nervous when I got there, that if anyone walked past I was like "of course someone has to walk by NOW!" haha but once I started walking, I broke out of that mindset and just had a great time You will always get looks of interest or surprise from people, but you just shrug it off and keep going. No one can stop you!

Kathryn Janos
    What would a woman wear to go out biking? Pink spandex bike shorts, sports bra, a nice tank top, wig, big sunglasses? This is a new area for us, I do believe!

You know, when I was on the plane and had to listen to the kids trying to sound tough next to their friends, I thought the same exact thing: I bet one or two of them are either gay or crossdress, and if he crossdresses, he CERTAINLY would love to be in my heels right about now!!!!!

Get the flats. Enough said. I spent more on my women's jacket than I did on my drab one not to mention I have bought more shoes as Marissa in the past year than I have as a guy in the past 5!
    Bike shorts are a must, but they're pretty androgynous, so I can wear men's and they'll be fine. Already have those, so that works. A jersey is another great piece I need, but a sports bra would work just as well, I suppose. As my best friend said though, any time you're exposing a significant portion of your back, you really need to have a feminine back or else it's a dead giveaway.

Again, as to the wrestler kids, I probably would've turned on them! Let them hear the truth they're all afraid of. If nothing else, it gets them to be embarrassed enough to focus elsewhere.

The flats I want cost about as much as the normal shoes I wear for my ankles, a pair of New Balance 992s. Most comfortable mens shoes evar, only seconded by my Merell boots.

But it seems like every time I go there, my gate is the farthest from the main terminal
    They do it on purpose...they know it's for you!

With the flying thing, looking back on the minimal times I've flown (only to and from 3 places), I just have to think how bad it would've been to have been wearing the heels you were wearing (and the feet hurting) on my way to Hawaii last year. We had what was supposed to be a 2 hour layover in LA, turn into a 6 hour layover because of problems with the plane. Then, fortunately, they had a plane come and get us, but we had to go to the terminal that was all the way on the other side of the airport. Flying enfemme does sound pretty exciting though. I don't think the wife would be very keen on me doing that...hehehe.

Kathryn Janos
    Quote Originally Posted by cindym5_04 View Post
    They do it on purpose...they know it's for you!

With the flying thing, looking back on the minimal times I've flown (only to and from 3 places), I just have to think how bad it would've been to have been wearing the heels you were wearing (and the feet hurting) on my way to Hawaii last year. We had what was supposed to be a 2 hour layover in LA, turn into a 6 hour layover because of problems with the plane. Then, fortunately, they had a plane come and get us, but we had to go to the terminal that was all the way on the other side of the airport. Flying enfemme does sound pretty exciting though. I don't think the wife would be very keen on me doing that...hehehe.
    Ugh, O'Hare was my worst flying experience. EVERY connection is a gate change, and every gate change is to the other side of the airport. I was with my dad and sister once and I was still young and full of energy and in shape, and we came in with like fifteen minutes to make our connection (late). My dad just said "Run for it."

I dropped my bags which he picked up behind me and took off like Forrest Gump at a full on dead run - people just got out of my way - and I made the gate JUST as they were closing the doors. They held the doors for my family and we made the flight. Thank GOD I didn't dress back then, heels would've been impossible.

I'd have an additional concern: breast forms and padded panties.

Security could suspect of drug trafficking inside of them.

It would not be a nice experience... Maybe traveling with a deflated boob after an invasive inspection of it's content

Kathryn Janos
    Quote Originally Posted by jruiz View Post

It would not be a nice experience... Maybe traveling with a deflated boob after an invasive inspection of it's content
    I don't think they'd be allowed to destroy them without good cause, in which case you'd have a claim against them anyway to force them to replace it.

I don't think they'd be allowed to destroy them without good cause, in which case you'd have a claim against them anyway to force them to replace it.
    They will probably replace it after a while. But this travel would be completed with a popped breast

Professional Socialite
    Quote Originally Posted by jruiz View Post

Tsa isn't looking for drugs and would never destroy forms a swab and xray is all tsa will do you'll be fine
    Last edited by Ashlyee Paige; 02-15-2009 at 04:30 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True - Hamlet and Reba :>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]