Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think society will ever accept CD's

Do you think society will ever accept CD's

I've been thinking about this alot lately. That maybe one day we as people could walk out our doors wearing what we wanted to wear without the need to try to (pass) as women. That one day if I wake up and decide today i'm gonna put my favorite top and skirt on and just go out the door. It would be nice if one day this would come true.

How about the rest of your thoughts on this.

ttfn
    Hugs and kisses Brenda

Brenda, I would like to think that day will come but for now having a few that are accepting and one being my late wife's sister is so great. When she comes over there is no panic or changing because she expects me to be dressed and have makeup on. But back to the question; there is a slow movement to accept this life style but again it's slow. Huggs Keli

A lot depends where you live, I spent most of my life in New Orleans and dressed all the time and there it is a life style people don't think twice about. Now that I have retired and moved into the bible belt if people knew I would be tar and feather. Hay it doesn't stop me as I still can go out and blend in with no problem. Maybe one day people will wise up as they have done with gay and lesbian's but I don't believe in our time.

Sadly, I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime, Brenda, if at all.

Karen Sue

I feel that to many men see it as an affront to their sexuality or as a challenge to the way they see themselves in their own gender rather than a freedom of expression.I had to grow out of my stereotypes and it took a while,of coarse now I see it from the angle of a CD.If people could ask themselves this,"does the fact that I don't understand something make it wrong"?

We all could benefit from being less critical of others decisions,I for one am much happier in the realization that it is not mine to evaluate others or their decisions regarding anything.

It seems to me that the younger generation is more accepting of how we dress. But then I thought the same thing in 1974 and now all those Hippies/Yuppies are grass roots conservatives who have no qualms about driving our economy and country into the ground and have forgotten how they wanted to make the world better for everyone and now only worry what color their parachute is.

Maybe things will change

Quote Originally Posted by KarenSusan View Post
    Sadly, I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime, Brenda, if at all.
    i agree. maybe in 25 yrs from now.

sue ellan

life is like a roll of tp the closer to the end the faster goes.

I have to agree with Carol A, alot has to do with the area larger cities seem to be more tolerable /acceptable than smaller towns.

I think people are a lot more accepting than you would think. At least tolerant, which is a start. Don't expect anyone to roll out a red carpet for you, but I think most people plain don't care what you wear.

Yvonne

It starts with becomming more accepting of ourselves.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Bilinda the housekeeper! Bilinda's Avatar
    It depends on how you define "accepting". In some form, society already does accept cd's. The same way society accepts those with tattoos, body piercings, Goth look and more.

In others words, NO society is completely accepting of ANYTHING! You always have some that don't care, while others are horrified. Also it depends on WHERE you are. Heck the middle east does not accept Americans as a whole, say nothing about crossdressing!

So you have to think of the big picture. Are gays accepted now? Some would say yes, while others would say not even close. Say your gay in Iran and you'll be dead before the next day.

To me cd's are already accepted in the states and UK. But will you ever not see anyone throw you a hurtful look? No, not ever. Just like gays, people in wheelchairs and girls who dye their hair pink.
    Don't put lipstick on dry lips unless you want it to stay on for 3 days!

Yes... It just needs to become cool to cd and that'll happen when we as a group stress less about doing it.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

I think that the more we accept and stand up for ourselves the more society will accept us. There will always be someone who will ridicule and make fun of the man in a dress, but that number will dwindle as we gain strength in our resolve to be who we are.

Doubt it will ever happen by "asking permission" or wishful thinking my friend. It depends on how much we care about what others think and how much that affects being who we are.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Do you think society will ever accept CD's

Let's hope not! Half the fun of CDing is poking my finger in the eye of the bourgeoisie. The other half can't be discussed on this forum.

Kathryn Janos
    I think we're being a little too liberal in our fondest desires, here. We will never be accepted by everyone, and it is usually those last stragglers who harbor the most hatred for things they don't understand.

Will we be safe walking down the street on a given day? Probably, and soon. Would we still have to worry about those dark corners? Definitely.

For a more historical comparison, society as a whole has no issue with African Americans, but you'd better believe that there are still plenty of people out there who would harm any of them if given the chance. It's truly a sad commentary on humanity that differences are less often celebrated than feared.

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Not as long as rubbish like Jerry Springer, Doctor Phil, etc continue to exploit and objectify us. Not as long they continue to believe that the drag queen culture and its more outrageous participants are what we are.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Kathryn Janos
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni_Lynn View Post
    Not as long as rubbish like Jerry Springer, Doctor Phil, etc continue to exploit and objectify us. Not as long they continue to believe that the drag queen culture and its more outrageous participants are what we are.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    I'm sorry that Jerry's show did damage to so many groups of people, but that was really because so many people were willing participants to it. Their own fault.

Jerry is actually very intelligent, he's a former mayor, and very liberal. I can't honestly blame the man for just trying to make money. Listen to his NPR show sometime.

Aspiring Member Christina Nicole's Avatar
    Accepted or not, I don't care. I want to pass as a woman. Otherwise, there is no point for me. But I'm more TS who can't transition than a crossdresser.

Warm regards,
    Christina Nicole
    Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these.
    --Susan B. Anthony

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    Before I started going en femme I didn't think that many people wou7ld be accepting, but it seems exactly the opposite is true. THere are a lot of places where I can go and noone would say anything and just treat you like they would anyone else. Most people just don't take any notice of you even if they do clock you. I was out last night and I was clocked on the way to the bar where I was going, probably more than once and noone said anything to me. I even got a lot of praise from a girl who was about 20 and she even kissed me on the cheek before she left. I think the younger generation are accepting of us and most of the others just don't really care what we wear.
    living the dream

You all have alot of different and interesting thoughts. Lets hear more of them from those of you who read this but didn't care enough to comment. I still look forward to the day I can walk out the door wearing femme clothes with no make up,wig or different walk to pass.

To be honest with you I just enjoy wearing the femme clothes without all the other stuff. It takes alot of effort and time to make ourselves look female to blend in. Time and effort i'm growing tired of but still I do it just to be able to walk outside wearing my girlie clothes.

ttfn
    Hugs and kisses Brenda

accepted? - maybe in urban areas
    tolerated? - more likely for the most part
    approved of? - nope, not in my lifetime
    do i care? - not in the least
    would it matter? - not much, it's an inside job

Kathryn Janos
    Quote Originally Posted by CDCarole View Post
    Before I started going en femme I didn't think that many people wou7ld be accepting, but it seems exactly the opposite is true. THere are a lot of places where I can go and noone would say anything and just treat you like they would anyone else. Most people just don't take any notice of you even if they do clock you. I was out last night and I was clocked on the way to the bar where I was going, probably more than once and noone said anything to me. I even got a lot of praise from a girl who was about 20 and she even kissed me on the cheek before she left. I think the younger generation are accepting of us and most of the others just don't really care what we wear.
    You make a fair point, Carole. The younger generation does tend to be more accepting, women in particular.

Eventually

I agre with the posts stating that we will never be accepted by everyone, but I do believe that we will be accepted by the majority of our culture eventually. Look at how many things have changed and become socially accepted in the last 50 years. And, mostly these changes come through education. When society becomes informed enough to realize that we are not a threat to them and that we are just expressing ourselves, they become more tolerant. And as we gain acceptance when we interact with mainstream people they will realize that we are just like they are. We are people who have our individual desires and interests just like everyone else. Even in manly mode and associating with male friends, I do not have the EXACT same interests or hobbies as they do. Yet, we are friends because of SOME of our interests. So, as we present ourselves in public with the same behavior we normally have, society will become more tolerant and eventually more accepting to the point of not really caring what we as individuals do or how we dress.

In that ye harm none, do what ye will
    Mostly a "manly man" but sometimes I really am overcome with an inner desire...

I think it's inevitable that society will become more accepting as time goes on. Just look at the strides made by the gay and lesbian community over the past forty or fifty years. With CDs, it's already starting to happen, at least in more urban areas and among the younger generation.

Crystal