Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Were You Influenced by What Your Mother Wore?

Were You Influenced by What Your Mother Wore?

I wonder how many of us developed our taste in women's clothes based on what our mothers' wore--after all, their dresses and shoes were probably the first female clothes we wore!

I adore satin dresses with wide skirts, red lipstick, and of course black patent leather pumps with 3 to 5-inch heels--all things my mother wore...

Of course we have all updated and diversified since we sneaked into her closet and tried on our first dresses--but how much of those wondrous moments carry over into our current wardrobe thinking???

No, just women on TV.

No... We have very different tastes. It is very rare she likes anything I like and vice versa. Equally she doesn't use makeup... never has... whereas I play with it an awful lot
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

my mother really never dressed dress but i got my start by trying here stockings and a girdle that the stockings attached to and then i tried my sister's petticoats

Only her underwear, stockings, bras etc.

I don't ever remember wearing one of my mother's dresses so I don't think her style seemed all that important to me at a very young age. Her under things were a different matter!

At first I wore what my Mother wore, as that was all that was available to me. But when I could buy my own clothes, I developed my own tastes that were a little flashier and sexier than hers. At the time I just thought I was going for higher style, but that did not really come till later when I finally did develop a better sense of style.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Non Nobis Domine, non Nobis, sed Nomine tua da Gloriam!"
    "Science without Religion is lame, Religion without Science is blind." Albert Einsten.
    "Champagne for our real friends, and real pain for our sham friends!" Irish American Toast.

my mother, when she was younger, was a fashion horse so I guess the answer would be yes . Heels midthigh skirts, hair and make up Now I hope I don't follow her into the slouchy sweatpants and shirt stage

The first things I wore were my mother's, so I guess I must have been influenced somehow. But I know that my style and hers are very different.
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

No, I wasn't influenced by my mothers clothing at all. Her style was not verry much stilish in my opinion.
    Some day I found some clothes of her from her younger days, and those clothes I liked more.

Not my mother's dress.

Although I started with her things, I went in a different direction. I was and am influenced my non-family women in my life(coworker,etc.). I also pull from TV and magazines. She wore pantyhose for special events. I wear them most everyday.
    Cary

Aspiring Member

no

No, not at all, except that I like slips, but all women and girls wore slips back then. She was not very elegant or fashionable, but was a true saint and a wonderful person.

Yeah, I got into girdles! It was the times . . . .

Michaella

I never touched my mother's clothing. Her style was basic house dresses, never any slacks or jeans ever. My mom worked at a hospital as a ward aide so my memory is of her always in a white drab uniform with white hose and shoes.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

I am sure I was influenced by her clothes, stored in her wardrobe. First, the aroma when I opened it, then rifling along the items hanging or stored on the shelves....and stockings, then shoes. At 12yrs.old, they fitted!
    And I recall putting on her girdle and bras.....I loved the girdle and bra....
    She was a good-looking woman, admired by friends of my fathers, so had clothes that were nice, rather than just plain. Soft materials, tafeta was in, so................
    it's all there, as a starter!

No, I was influenced by the way women dressed at the time. Women in the 50's and 60's when they were out and about always dressed in stocking and heels. Then I tried on my mothers stockings and heels. It felt so good, I was hooked.

NO - I have better taste than my mother had
    JoAnne Wheeler

I would have to say, yes. My mother was always dressed very nicely. Dresses, nylons, heels, etc. When I was very young, she was actually a model for one of the local department stores. Her picture was in the ads in the local papers, she did fashion shows for the store, and things like that. Did I wear her things? Yes.
    Hugs,

Teddie

I like to look pretty Prissy Linda's Avatar
    Yes I was influenced greatly by the way my mother and her friends dressed.
    I was an only child for a long time so my mother and I were constant companions, In the mornings I would go to her room as she applied makeup and got dressed so I watched in total amazement how beautiful she became.

In those days most woman wore red lipstick and often wore dresses and conducted themselves as ladies(those were my impressions). Yes I did borrow her clothes occasionally but always with her permission, she eventually bought me my own clothes in my size. Eventually my style changed to reflect the current styles of my age groups but I always tried to portray myself as she did. After my sisters were born I didn't dress as often but continued throughout my teens while I lived at home.

Mother asked me a few years ago If I still "play dress up" as she called it, I told her that I did and that my wife participates but our grown kids have never been told about my dressing. She did raise an eyebrow but said she was happy for me. She and my sisters know, my sisters know I still dress but have always kept it our little secret so their children don't know either.

Sorry I was so long winded in my response...

No , not my mothers , it was my older sisters clothes that started it all for me !
    Tomara

My mother was a wonderful person and I miss her very much. Sadly she was not the best role model for a crossdresser. I try to wear clothing that my mother never would have worn.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

I don't see much relationship between my mother's clothing style and my own. Of course my first experiences with women's clothes were with hers, but my tastes now tend to run more with tasteful, contemporary, middle-aged women, with, I must admit, probably more of a liking for short skirts than I woman of my age would admit to.

Other than the fact that she was a fashion maven, I don't share the same style with my mom at all. She always dressed fashionably yet conservatively. I think my fashion sense is more influenced by the other women around me, my friends and such.

Amazing Member
    Other than very early, not too much. I was more influenced by the girls in school and what they wore.
    One thing I did get from my mother, was a taste for nice clothes, especially at bargain prices. Mother would stalk the stores, waiting for something she liked to go on sale, and then she would grab it. Had a lot of nice things as a result, and at reasonable prices on the whole.
    My sister on the other hand, I think sometimes judges clothing too much by the price tag. So, my mother's influence was slightly different in both cases.
    My mother made some clothes when she was younger, and made some for my sister that were nice, and also bought nice skirts and things for her. I particularly remember a Halloween costume she made for my sister, a spectacular flapper dress, in shiny black with red fringe trim across, at several places. I longed to wear that, but I don't think I ever did.. My sister came to my mom's even in her thirties, to borrow outfits for parties, a testimony to my mom's youthful tastes. It would not have been too bad a thing, to have been my mother's other daughter, rather than what i ended up with, as my destiny.

Not

No way, no how ever ever. All my fashion influence came from the female stars of the silver screen back in the mid 50's.

Glamorous

Kerry