Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Were You Influenced by What Your Mother Wore?

Professional Socialite
    Heck NO! :> lol I wish I could give my mother some tips LOL, all she wears is sweat pants, arrggghhh never!
    To Thine Own Self Be True - Hamlet and Reba :>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My mother's been dead over 10 years, and though she'd be shocked to hear me say it, she was a very good dresser. She had good taste and never left the house without looking immaculate. Even when she was in her 70s she wore skirts (while most women at that age had adopted pant suits.) She only had two boys and said she always said she never wanted a girl, but I think she really wished I was a girl. She might have known about my crossdressing but if so, she never let on.

hi... wow .my mum passed away 36 years ago yea so we stayed to gether for 24 years till jos & i got married . then 3 months later she passed on . my mum dressed very nicely for the time & even during the war & before. my older brother . 1 / 2 brother 19 years older than i . was dressed better than most kids, so yes the styles have changed . i know mum would have liked a girl . not sure if it would have been me yet i all ways was , just a miner detail there . just people thought i was a boy . oh well never mind i am & can be that girl now .. well a women really .
    ...noeleena...

My taste is my own, but I still have some of her clothes. They are dated, but I sometimes wear her dresses around the house. It would be fun to wear them to a "vintage party" sometime.

I do wear her jewelry, especially her rings. When I wear her wedding ring, I think of both of my parents. I have most of her earrings, and when (if) I get my ears pierced, I'd love to wear them.

As others have said, she would have liked a daughter. I'm sorry she didn't get to know Claire.

Well for me it most likey is . Becouse she put me in that dress to bring me home from the hospital at 5 days old

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't. My mom was and still is a big-time wearer of a variety of sweaters, mostly ribbed turtlenecks, and those happen to be the exact type of clothing that I find myself wearing most.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
    No, just women on TV.
    No here to, TV also and women in lingerie adds

Content and Happy
    My mother was a very casual dresser. She always looked so comfortable. She didn't use a lot of make-up, but when she did, she looked so nice. I see a lot my mother in me.
    I dress for comfort and my make-up high lights what I already have.
    [SIZE="3"]Lanore[/SIZE]

i never wore my mothers clothes, but i did wear my baby sister clothes (baby and in a lot younger then me, not a real baby) so i guess wearing younger girls clothes are what influenced me. that and anime girls. such as sailor moon and card captor sakura to name a few

My mom caught me or should I say she set me up to catch me. I was 15 at the time and had been dressing in her things since I was 13 it started trying things on from the hamper and progressed to complete dress ups in her bedroom when she was out. Well one day she said she would be out all day, I of course thought I would be alone most of the day. I was wearing a old evening dress of hers with complete woman’s undergarments, as I was in her bathroom applying mascara she appeared in the door way. She said she knew I was into her things for awhile especially since her cosmetics was being used. She told me that I shouldn’t be doing this and that was the most scolding I received. She was more upset I didn't wear her old things in the bottom drawer. There was never anything but sheets there, She then left for the day of shopping she had intended well after she caught me there was dresses, bras, etc in that bottom drawer. wow mothers.

Quote Originally Posted by adrienner99 View Post
    I wonder how many of us developed our taste in women's clothes based on what our mothers' wore--after all, their dresses and shoes were probably the first female clothes we wore!

I adore satin dresses with wide skirts, red lipstick, and of course black patent leather pumps with 3 to 5-inch heels--all things my mother wore...

Of course we have all updated and diversified since we sneaked into her closet and tried on our first dresses--but how much of those wondrous moments carry over into our current wardrobe thinking???
    My mother wore nothing like what i like. She has no fashon really, she always just wore 'mom clothes'. sweat pants or unfaltering jeans holiday sweaters. Eww!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie909 View Post
    My mother's been dead over 10 years, and though she'd be shocked to hear me say it, she was a very good dresser. She had good taste and never left the house without looking immaculate. Even when she was in her 70s she wore skirts (while most women at that age had adopted pant suits.) She only had two boys and said she always said she never wanted a girl, but I think she really wished I was a girl. She might have known about my crossdressing but if so, she never let on.
    My mother also died over 10 years ago. She was always a classy dresser. While at work in the 1980's she wore dresses and skirts with pantyhose almost always and looked very good. She definitely influenced my style of dress. Still have some of her outfits and have worn them, surprisingly fit me well after I slimmed down. Although she never knew as far as I know. I think she would be okay with it, that I turned out to be a classy part time daughter she never had. I was suppose to be the girl.
    Last edited by cindyscute; 03-06-2009 at 09:03 AM.