Thread: Equal Employment opportunity

Banned Read only

Equal Employment opportunity

As I am sitting here in my office afterhours, wearing girl jeans, sensible shoes, and c cup breast forms, i got to wondering about the corporate policy concerning transgender discrimination. We do have a policy prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity. (whew!) This was prompted by an instant message from one of our HR directors - quick panic, but it was about something else ( I am not out at work - not yet, anyways!). Anyways, I found this websitre:

http://www.hrc.org/issues/workplace/11832.htm

Is your employer listed?

I don't know what the policy is when it comes to trasngender expression. I don't think I could never come out at my job because even if it was tolerated, it would drastically change the dynamic between my coworkers and myself in ways that would difficult to continue working in. There are some open minded people at work, but just as many (if not more) not so open minded people and it could get ugly for me. The company president would can me though, so no need for me to even ponder it further. I wouldn't get fired because of cding, it would be something unrelated - something that would have never been a problem had I not come out, if you get my meaning.

Good luck to you at your workplace. I hope you can come out and work and be accepted. What a wonderful feeling I imagine it might be.

And no, my employer is not on the list.
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

Interesting, I have been thinking about this a little bit lately. . .

On March 6th I'll be losing my job I know this as I work at in a large automotive manufacturing plant and they are having a mass layoff of about 300 employees. Good thing is that hey had to notify us about 60 days prior to our layoff. . . so I at least have time to look for something . . . too bad the economy is so bad at the moment.

All this to say, I'll be looking for new employment . . . somewhere. And it'd be interesting to find someplace that would be accepting or at least tolerant if I wanted to go to work en femme.

A nice dream I think.

Jacie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My employer is on there. I knew they would be, though. They've won several "Best Law Firm To Work For" awards from the LGBT community.

Aspiring Member
    i hope everything works out for you.

They don't list any mining companies... they are an equal opertunity discriminator from way back!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

There is a website called GayJob.biz that has some interesting articles, etc.

For myself I filed a complaint with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission because my boss told my wife that she should divorce me and another Corporate employee told my wife that he would not have a person like me represent the company. Well I got a lawyer and had a meeting with my employer at the CRC. I did not win a lot of $$$$, but I did get a few.

As for comming out to an employer, it has gotten so that I have been putting applications and going to interviews as Tamera, so they know right up front who I am. I have gotten a job at Big Boy Restaurant this way and I have met other Human Resource Departments that are quite "OPEN" to the TG Community.
    Hugs,
    Tamera
    Please read this regarding personal information http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_personal_information

[SIZE="2"]"GENDER" is not whats between the "THIGHS", but whats between the "EARS".....[/SIZE]

A corporate policy may help you keep your job but it may very well not help you when it comes to advancement. Some jobs in particular would make cross dressing a complication that could easily be avoided by management by selecting a straight candidate instead. I worked for one of the most well regarded corporations in the world and believe me, subjectivity plays a bigger part in promotion decisions than corporate policy. There are always lots of deserving candidates for advancement so why go with the one that is viewed as the most problematic.

Well GM got a 100% on that list, but in this area, where they are closing a plant and 2500 ppl are loosing their jobs, GM isn't high on many local lists. The plant here is the top tool & die shop in the system, and they are closing the plant. Go figure...BJ

Here's a question, maybe should be a new thread, but do you think a TG or CDer has a higher than average chance of being hired at one of these companies if they are out? Do these companies hire a certain percentage of employees who are TG, etc so that they meet their anti-discrimination quotas? You know, similar to the minority pregant woman who gets the job over the more experienced straight guy...(or is that an urban myth).

I think any quotas are only relevant for companies that are doing business with the government. Certainly contractors with the Federal government are keenly aware of any guidance that is typically found in requests for proposals (RFP). I've never heard of any guidance for TG in any RFP I was associated with. State government may each have their own contracting guidance for companies that do business at the state level. For companies that do not do government business, they can do pretty much as they please as long as they stay clear of a law suite for discrimination.

Aspiring Member Christina Nicole's Avatar
    I work for one of the listed companies and apparently it's rated very high on that listing. But I knew it would be. I didn't, on the other hand, know that my insurance would pay for counseling, HRT, and SRS. That was interesting. There goes an excuse!

Some time ago, a few co-workers were talking about people with whom they worked at a previous company. At some point it was mentioned that Carl was now Carla (or something) and living as a woman. Someone else say, "Wow! Great job insurance." When I asked why, I was told that she has multiple pluses in the diversity column. A plus for being a woman. A plus for being gay. And a huge plus for being TS, since there are so few of those. He said it was like a diversity trophy for the company.

Oh, my. There goes another of my excuses.

Warm regards,
    Christina Nicole
    Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these.
    --Susan B. Anthony

It still shocks me when I see those of you from North America talking about discrimination or possible sacking if you came out at work. Here in the UK the law is very strict on discrimination against any minority (all to do with EU law). The EU is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they are very positive about human rights legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna the Dub View Post
    It still shocks me when I see those of you from North America talking about discrimination or possible sacking if you came out at work. Here in the UK the law is very strict on discrimination against any minority (all to do with EU law). The EU is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they are very positive about human rights legislation.
    There's a list around where they list how free countries are. The USA is number 7.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna the Dub View Post
    The problem is that even with anti-discrimination, then can still just write you up for poor performance and then send you on your way. Now it does very from state to state as the state laws vary, but it is relatively true.

Well GM didn't discriminate, they issued warning letters to 500 ppl today. Permanent layoffs will start no sooner than the end of March. It's the law. The plant I started with has been closed for a long time and when I got to this plant in 1979 I figured that plant would be there for ever. They say it might be gone by summer, instead of December. When I started there it had 2500 ppl and after the layoffs, less than 900 will remain....BJ
    ps. I hope my pension is safe..

Billijo . . .

The BMW plant here laid off 700 contracted assembly employees in Dec. and now they are laying off another 300 Material handlers (which I am a part of ) March 6.

what a bummer!!

Jacie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I looked at the list and took another perspective on it....

How many companies that were listed have announced layoffs recently or have been be mentioned concerning severe financial straits...and the realization that of how badly the economy is in the tank at the moment...

For some finding a job where they can be their other self is a goal and then for some just finding a job or having a job is the goal...not a good time right now...and I hate to be a pessimist but I think it's going to get a whole lot worse...heard last nite some projections that it's going to take some 6+ years to get out of this mess....

By then maybe they'll be a whole more names will be on this list and people will become much more tolerant and accepting of everyone...we can only hope...

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    In Indonesia there is a call for transgender people to get 14% of jobs allocated to them!

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/article/7210.html

I'll be quite impressed if it goes through.
    The 14% number I find especially interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue_CD View Post
    The problem is that even with anti-discrimination, then can still just write you up for poor performance and then send you on your way. Now it does very from state to state as the state laws vary, but it is relatively true.
    Of course they can, but then you take them to an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal and discrimination. If you win the case, they will be heavily fined and you will get compensation. Most companies really do not want to go down that route, as the resulting bad publicity is a PR nightmare.