Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs for a crossdresser?

Jobs for a crossdresser?

Hi! My name is John im 19 years old and I live on the east end of Long Island. I cross-dress as much as possible but its not exactly acceptable where I live unless you go into east hampton. Im tired of living like this and I need a change. i NEED to dress up every day without being worried about being beat up. I believe if it feels good do it.

I am almost at my goal of $10,000 saved up, and move into New York City

But my mother says it will be an issue because it will be hard to find someone who will hire me. I dont exactly have a field but I have retail & restaurant experience.

I just need a change in my life. I need to be around gay people & transgendered people. I need to make friends that are like me. I need to get out to the clubs and get into the scene that ive been dying for.

I made this thread to find out what issues others faced in New York City when trying to find a job. How hard will it be? Should I not dress up to look for a job? Im not exactly passable, I dont try to be. Im just anti-establishment and anti-status quo. I do what I want. It doesn't bother me if I dont look like a girl physically

Zorro with a makeup brush BeckiB's Avatar
    LB you can test the waters by looking for work now where you want to live. There are a lot of resources to find work so you don't have to be in NY to check it out. I know that $10,000.00 sounds like a lot but you will be suprised how fast you can burn thru it. I would try to find work before I go.

I am sure there are a lot of girls on here that can help you with great places to live where you would feel more like you fit in.

Good luck and have fun

I can't tell you anything about the job market in NY city, but I wouldn't go on any interviews while dressed, even if you pass 99.9 %.I agree that you should try to have a job lined up before you make the move.Job= real life,and you will have plenty of free time to do as you want.Good luck.
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

Planning and patience

Quote Originally Posted by Lima Bean View Post
    I am almost at my goal of $10,000 saved up, and move into New York City But my mother says it will be an issue because it will be hard to find someone who will hire me. I dont exactly have a field but I have retail & restaurant experience.
    A little perspective here. I have two sons just a little older than you, though (to my knowlege) they're not CD. When they were your age they thought they knew what they wanted and expected it to come to them in an instant.

Teen years are a time of introspection and change. You're trying to find your place in the world. Unfortunately you haven't been out in the world long enough to have much perspective on your life as a whole. Like, "where do I want to be in five years?"

Life is a continuing project and so requires some planning and patience. You've done very well to have saved your money. That required planning and patience. What to do next?

Instead of "getting a job" you might want to plan a career. Are you still living at home? If so, that provides a great opportunity to get some education or training while not having to support yourself. Focus your energy on finding a field that would allow you to best pursue the life you dream of. Many schools only require a year or two.

It's clear how much you want to get out into the world and live your life. Be patient and invest some time in your future. Make a plan. The life you live will be better for it.

Regards,

Yvette

Yes, $ 10,000 actually will not go very far - life is hard for us GIRLS - remember that

JoAnne Wheeler

San Francisco girl
    I can't talk specifically about NYC, as I live in San Francisco. But I do know that locally, both MAC cosmetics and Bare Escentuals employ obviously transgender people (MTF). In addition, I know I've been in locally owned boutiques and have seen TG sales people (also MTF).

I am involved with the organization Transgender San Francisco, and many of our members are employed despite being obvioulsy transgender. One of my friends, an IT professional, was actually lured away by another company just a few weeks after coming out. I will admit that that was a very special case.

I think if you look to businesses that are a bit out of the mainstream, you might find employment as an openly TG girl. Consider unique clothing stores, funky restaurants, clubs, music stores, cosmetic companies, etc.

But also do keep in mind that this is a very difficult time to be looking for work. My daughter, in LA, responded to an ad placed by a restaurant looking for a cashier, and she was told that they had received 300 applications.

Good luck, and keep in touch...

Wendi

That's what I've been searching on for a while. It seems damn near impossible. I live in Dallas. Apparently there's next to nothing. Actually nothing here for us girls.

Banned Read only
    Becki and Vicki and Yvette all suggest scouting for jobs before you make the move. I agree.

Do you want to work as a girl ... or maybe as a guy who is known to be trans?

How about this?

Do you have a group of pictures of yourself that show Lima as an attractive young woman?

Take the train into the city. Go to places that you'd like to work at (the more outside places, like Wendi suggests) , as what's-his-name. Fill in the applications. Speak to the person hiring and tell them about your trans status and show them a picture or two. If they're not bothered,or indeed maybe see it as an asset, your application will remain in the queue. If they have a problem with it, you'll know right away.

Of course, your chances in places like this will prolly be determined more on your work experience and skills and references than on your trans staus, but I think that for you, it would be a lot less frustrating to get the trans thing out of the way right from the top.

But all in all, I still gotta agree with Yvette, that as a young 'un, you'd benefit from a little patience and an attempt to expand your experience and skills a bit before venturing into the maw of the great heartless city. You're not the only one looking for a place in that world. You're only one in thousands.

Be strong, John/Lima!

Good Luck!

finding a job and NY

good luck hun, but they are right, $10,00 is not much money wen liveing on it, find a job there frist, them look for ine you canget dressed, there are a few jobs out there ffor us girls.

Aspiring Member
    I that Yvette made some very sound suggestions, you would be well advised to take what she said into consideration.

I also loved what Deja True suggested. I think that carrying pictures of yourself enfemme would be a sound alternative and like she said it would get your goal right out in the open up front and quickly.

People are hired based upon whether it is thought that you can do the job, not what your sexual preference might be. If sexual preference becomes a distraction and it affects your ability to perform or the ability of your coworkersto perform, then someones got to go. Additionally, if the way you would dress would detract from your ability to perform, then it is a detriment and you won't get hired.

When a supervisor or an employer spends too much time covering for missed time or the production of a department slips because of something that can be controlled by termination or not hiring you in the first place, that is their job. These are hard enough to overcome when dressed "appropriately" but if thought of as "inappropriate" then you can forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lima Bean View Post

I am almost at my goal of $10,000 saved up, and move into New York City

I made this thread to find out what issues others faced in New York City when trying to find a job. How hard will it be? Should I not dress up to look for a job? Im not exactly passable, I dont try to be. Im just anti-establishment and anti-status quo. I do what I want. It doesn't bother me if I dont look like a girl physically
    New York City law specificially prohibits discrimination against transgender people,

Two resources I recommend checking often are :

http://www.tjobbank.com/

http://www.gaycenter.org/nycresources

might also contact these groups directly before you move.

Oliver Staffing (212) 634-1234
    350 Lexington Avenue, Suite 401 (Corner of 40th & Lexington) New York, NY 10016
    jobs@oliverstaffing.com

Rainbow Staffing (212) 685-9304
    295 Madison Avenue

Rainbow Roommates
    124 West 60th Street #23E
    New York, NY 10023
    www.rainbowroommates.com
    (212) 627-8612, (212) 757-2865
    Last edited by Miranda-E; 06-22-2009 at 11:41 AM.

I so HATE to be the one that depresses everyone, but have you paid attention to the news on the world economy? Millions of people have lost their jobs and are out searching for new ones without success. Good people, with stellar educations and decades of experience are out searching right now and unable to find employment. In my opinion it would be insane to throw ANYTHING in to the mix that would make it harder for an employer to choose you. Unless I miss my guess, I'd bet that 90% of the TS folks here will tell you that in the best of times they probably had a hard time finding a job, and of those that did find employment, I'd wager quite a few of them are "under-employed" - not working to their education or abilities.
    Were I looking for a job (a very real possibility soon) I will go to interviews with my nails clean and cut, my eye brows grown out, wearing a suit and tie and acting just as macho as I can. I wouldn't willingly expose ANYTHING that might make them hesitate to choose me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda-E View Post
    New York City law specificially prohibits discrimination against transgender people . . .
    This just means that they can't list your TG status as the reason for not hiring you. Don't kid yourself in to thinking that it wont be the cause in reality, and I wish you the very best of luck in ever proving that this was the reason you weren't hired.

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    I so HATE to be the one that depresses everyone, but have you paid attention to the news on the world economy? Millions of people have lost their jobs and are out searching for new ones without success. Good people, with stellar educations and decades of experience are out searching right now and unable to find employment. In my opinion it would be insane to throw ANYTHING in to the mix that would make it harder for an employer to choose you. Unless I miss my guess, I'd bet that 90% of the TS folks here will tell you that in the best of times they probably had a hard time finding a job, and of those that did find employment, I'd wager quite a few of them are "under-employed" - not working to their education or abilities.
    Were I looking for a job (a very real possibility soon) I will go to interviews with my nails clean and cut, my eye brows grown out, wearing a suit and tie and acting just as macho as I can. I wouldn't willingly expose ANYTHING that might make them hesitate to choose me.

This just means that they can't list your TG status as the reason for not hiring you. Don't kid yourself in to thinking that it wont be the cause in reality, and I wish you the very best of luck in ever proving that this was the reason you weren't hired.
    Kimberly is a very wise person. Listen to her.

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    I'm 27 and have an electrical engineering career. I of course didn't get this position because I'm transgendered, but disclosed the fact on my clearance paperwork. I would suggest waiting until the economy picks up before making any rash decisions.

Formerly Natalie Lynn Tracy Lynn's Avatar

LGBT Career Link

Here is a job listing site I came across today

http://www.lgbtcareerlink.com/
    Love Ya, Tracy

"Like the sky opens after a rainy day we must open to ourselves.... Learn to love yourself for who you are and open so the world can see you shine." ~James Poland

Here is an idea for you. My wife today surprised me by telling me that I may want to as Melanie follow the example of our adopted neice and be a weekend flower girl. She said I could dress up in my nightclub glitzy outfits and sell roses in several night clubs in our city. Apparently the neice from 9 PM to 2 AM nets around $200 on a typical night between Thursday and Saturday. I may investigate.
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Platinum Card Member AlisonWood's Avatar
    The only up side - a lot of organizations are always looking for diversity...some will gravitate towards diversity in an affirmative action sense - it might not get you a job - but if you are transgendered and otherwise qualified - with some organizations, it might help. Out TG's are a small minority indeed.

I hear ya

I'm on Long Island and I get what you are saying.

Why not think about working at a Transgender themed place? The restaurant Lipps, a tg salon, a crossdresser bar....you can be you and earn a good dollar.

LB, What are you trained to do? If you have no specific training for the workforce, I would recommend that you focus and put your emphasis on acquiring skills for the workforce. If you have no specific training, pumping gas and washing dishes for minimum wage is what you can expect.

In case you haven't figured it out, you can't live in an alley in NYC on minimum wage.

Go back to school now!!!

Jodi

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Yeah, what she said (plus the rest of her excellent post on how difficult it is for anyone to find work these days). My first job was a typical high school fast food gig, and we sometimes had promotions offering a free taco to anyone who filled out an application. The manager made a tiny pencil mark on the applications of any black kids who came into the store, so he would remember not to call those applicants back. I was appalled, but even as an eyewitness there was no way I could ever prove that's what he was doing. "Thanks for applying, we'll let you know (not)". "I'm sorry, but we gave that position to someone with more experience in the field (plus he didn't look like a freak)".

The only way you could ever get a job applying in your CD clothes is if you apply at a business that is managed by, and caters to, the GLBT community. Anyplace else - if you want to pay the rent, suck it up and put on a suit that came from the men's side of the store.

LB,
    Kimberly has given some excellent advice. Now is a very tough time for anyone to find a job. Don't give them a reason not to hire you. If you are looking for a T friendly work environment you need to look at transgendered run businesses or begin networking with other T Girls as you are now. You never know who knows who.

Hey your 19, try looking for alternative clothing shops or go to a mall and try "Hot Topics", private owned record stores. You just have to be as creative in your job search as you are with your dressing. Good luck!!

Lima Bean? OK I won't go into the veggie jokes.

Looking for work start with & entry level position at a major company, they are more apt to be tg friendly. How you present yourself for you interview is important. Be confident & honest.
    Since you are 19 you might want to consider college. Don't limit yourself!

My oldest daughter has her phd in mathematics & just recently got a teaching position at a college. She is only 24 yrs old.

Anything is possible if you apply yourself.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

When I was 21 or so, I went to Manhattan, found an apartment and starting looking for job. The apartment building was full derelicts and had a communal bathroom. I lasted about a month. I went back to Mom and Dad defeated. But I am glad I did it. I finished my degree after that got a real job and then went to grad school. My first job after that was as a visiting scientist at City University of New York. I had an office on 42 St and they gave an apartment for free!

So, I say go for it! Think of it as an adventure, not as your final destination. Maybe you can find a GLBT group house to live in and work at funky clothing store dressed however you want. NYC is a hard place to live yet anything is possible there. But do plan ahead.

Later you may indeed go back home and get some more specific job training or go to college. (Maybe you could go to school in NYC someday.) Be nice to your parents and don't burn any bridges. Can your parents keep you on their health insurance?
    Last edited by Michelle S; 06-22-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typo
    [SIZE="3"]Michelle[/SIZE]

Removed!
    [SIZE=2]I don't post here often but since I used to actually live in Manhatten on 10th ave, my experiance in "the big apple" may help you decide.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Rent is REALLY high there, my 2 bedroom flat was $2700 a month and fortunately that was with basic utilities. A hotel will cost you around $200 a night while you look for a place. There are a lot of sublets and people who actually will help find you a place also. Be careful because some of them are con's. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]If you have a car plan on giving it up. Parking is nearly $400 a month for a space, and driving there is a real adventure. Your reflexes better be like a cat's if you would like to avoid a wreak or hitting someone.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Just about everyplace you will find will be small, most are arouns 800 sq ft or smaller unless you have a lot of money to get something bigger. Sometimes the places are furnished but the furnature is a little spartan. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]You can get a metro pass which I did, or take a cab just about anywhere for under $10 dollars. Most of the time it's easier to just walk where you would like to go. There's concrete everywhere so it's not to bad in heels but you'll get tired quickly if your not used to it. The nice thing is that your legs will look fabulous. It's also ALWAYS hot there or freezing cold. It's just the way it is with all the buildings and the way the island is. You'll get used to it after a while and learn to adjust.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Also the cost of living is really high, you may be paid $50 and hour but it's equavalent to making $10 someplace else so it may sound like a lot but it's actually not. The taxes are really high there and geting worse, cigarettes are almost $11 dollars a pack to give you an idea of how ridiculous it is. There are a lot of things to do that cost very little or are free like the ferry to liberty island or central park but it's ALWAYS crowded and noisy. After a while you will get used to it or it'll drive you crazy. There is wonderful shopping and hundreds of little shops to explore and some of the hottest fashions.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Finding a job there is very strange, sure there are ad's in the paper but just about everybody has several "side jobs" and "freind of a friend" conections or deals for extra work. Unless you are in a highly skilled field which at your age I doubt plan on doing serveral jobs. You may end up waiting tables and being a courier in between. You just never know what will turn up. People are gernrally pretty nice and really don't care what "you're into" since everyone there is a little "strange" and everyone just deals with the way each of us are. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just walking down the street you may walk by Secret Service agents on one block then turn on to 35th and you're sourrounded by leather chickens, don't laugh it actually happened to me. It's one of the most interesting places in the world. Everybody speaks a diffrent language and you may hear a dozen or more as you explore the city. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I hope this helps, but honestly honey with times as they are I would recommend you keep saving money and stay where you are for a while.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2].[/SIZE]
    Read my monthly column On URNA And The Gender Society

Real women were built to be admired. Why be ashamed or hurt if you admire a well crafted copy or immitation?