I dress "as usual" for my doctor's appointments, which means panties and women's trouser socks, painted toenails, long acrylic fingernails, earrings and heels. She knows all about me and may ask a question or two about where I've been and how Diane is doing, but it is always friendly and professional and doesn't get in the way of any serious health business.

In 2001, I had a heart problem and wound up spending nine days in the hospital after being admitted through the emergency room. I got an artificial heart valve implanted as well as a triple bypass. Some of the nurses and techs absolutely loved my red toenails and femmy tattoos, and made them a fun topic of conversation. The ones who didn't just politely and professionally ignored them. I'm sure everybody on the floor knew, though, since I had to walk up and down the hallway for exercise several times a day with legs and feet on full display. It was pretty much the last thing I was worried about in the context of my rather serious medical situation.

- Diane