Thanks Teresa. Not so sure such a conversation and interchange like you had with the SAs would happen so easily over on this side of the pond. In some communities I can imagine it happening, but I suspect in most the reactions would not be so friendly.

I have never been to Europe, but my sense is that in much of Europe (not all) people are more accepting of differences, but with limitations and boundaries, than is the case here. Hard not to be when everyone is exposed to so many different kinds of people from so many small countries with widely varying histories and sub-cultures. We have plenty of sub-cultures here, but usually they cover rather large geographic areas and interaction is often more around the fringes than deep into the sub-culture community. We have a large valley here in Colorado that has a Hispanic history that pre-dates the Pilgrims and that valley is larger than some European countries. Spanish is the primary language there.

So, I conclude that if you do make some inquiries of SAs I would love to hear about their reactions. As to whether it is rude or not, I will leave that to your judgement. Over here, in my area anyway, I don't think it would be viewed as being polite. But here is not there.