Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many here have support groups in your local area

Barbie Doll

Smile Tri-ess groups or other groups

I live in the Bradenton, Florida area, would love to hear of any groups in my area as I am new to this site. Someone told me Joanne07 might be able to help me. Glad to be aboard, looking forward to learning more about myself and others. Barbie

Michelle,

I am in Danville. We have a group in Lexington. If you wanted to drive to Lex for the meetings we would just love to have you as a member.

I do know there is a group in Louisville as we have had contact with them off and on not too long ago. I can't remember their name but I will find out for you. It will take a couple of days for me to get back to you on it.

Let me know if you are interested in ours. We welcome all TG folks and their SO's. We have many that are hiding their secret from their SO's and we have no problems with that either.

Beth
    I am in love with the most understanding GG and my biggest fan. Jennifer, I love you!

I live north of Boston and we have the Tiffany Club nearby. It is a fantastic place where everyone is so helpful and its a great bunch of girls.
    Cause I'm just a girl, little 'ol me
    Don't let me out of your sight

Jacksonville, NC (Nope not military either ;) )
    I am sad to say but I do not know of any local groups in my area. I think the closet is about 2 hrs away. It would be nice to have something a little closer to home.

Aspiring Member
    Susan Michelle you are not alone, I have tried to contact the same group and had no luck either.
    I was hoping I could find one close to home but the way it looks I will be traveling to Lexington to meet with people like myself.
    Just not sure I will drive up there dressed or not as I would if I could go to the one in Louisville.

Colorado Resources

There are numerous groups in Colorado, probably 15+ including Tri-Ess, several GLBT organizations and several gender specific groups. The gender specific groups include:

Gender Identity Center of Colorado (Denver)
    Peak Area Gender Expressions (Colorado Springs)
    Northern Colorado TG Support (Fort Collins)
    Boulder Gender Support Group

I am positive there are others.

I have read several posts from members who were wanting to go out in public but would not. I was like this at first and found that these support groups provide an opportunity to either go dressed to a non-threatening environment or go to the center and dress there and then revert back to go home. The love and support at these centers are not unlike this web site. Also the advice, group outings, speakers, demonstrations, etc. are fantastic. In other words, great resources.
    Kathy

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    When I lived in New Orleans from 97-00, I enjoyed meetings hosted by the Gulf Gender Association (GGA).
    Dallas/Fort Worth had the Metroplex Crossdressers Club (their website is sadly out of date)
    I don't know if either is still happening but I enjoyed the meetings of both groups.

*hugs*

Zara

Depends what you call "local"

The nearest is 100 miles away; the next nearest is 200...

Quote Originally Posted by joanne f View Post
    No support groups near me but even if there was i find that they are not interested in my type, you have to be all or nothing.
    Joanne,

How far are you from Exeter? As Mitch says, the group at Clyst is friendly? Otherwise, is Bristol any good to you - pm me..

Quote Originally Posted by trannie T View Post
    ...both these groups are very friendly and even let my type in.
    :winking:
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Glamerous Granny carolinewalker_2000's Avatar
    No Support Groups near me either. I have to say I am a bit dubious about regular gatherings of crossdressers - (what is the collective noun for a group of crossdressers!!!) - all the ones I have run up against seem to be very cliquee and not welcoming to new members.
    [SIZE="3"]Caroline

Tranny Granny
    [/SIZE]

Thumbs up

No one can make a CD. It is your Body. That tells your Brain. That is what you like. Even there are some. That has a Gene. That tells them. Most of them in the first few years of thier life. Like me and some others that I know.
    In which in my case. I was born part Male and part Female.

I also work with Parants. That have Boys and want to CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki B View Post
    Joanne,

How far are you from Exeter? As Mitch says, the group at Clyst is friendly? Otherwise, is Bristol any good to you - pm me..

:winking:
    sorry only just read you post,
    i am just about halfway between Bristol and Exeter

joanne

Quote Originally Posted by carolinewalker_2000 View Post
    No Support Groups near me either. I have to say I am a bit dubious about regular gatherings of crossdressers - (what is the collective noun for a group of crossdressers!!!) - all the ones I have run up against seem to be very cliquee and not welcoming to new members.
    You sure? You anywhere near Leeds, or Sheffield?

And the collective noun for trans folk is a 'book'. But unlike the paper kind, the bigger it is, the more likely it is to be read?
    Last edited by Nicki B; 12-10-2007 at 04:17 PM.
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinewalker_2000 View Post
    No Support Groups near me either.
    i can think of several

There are at lease two groups here in the Dallas area.

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnDallas View Post
    There are at lease two groups here in the Dallas area.
    Yes, but how do you find them? The old websites are pretty much 2 years out of date.

There are no groups near Kansas City that I am aware of.

There was one... after revealing all of my personal identity, the one and only contact person was never able to meet except on a moment's notice by e-mail. That e-mail address is now dead, and so is the website link. It has been two years, so I suppose I can stop worrying about being outed.

If I had to guess, I would surmise that groups form out of people in roughly the same stages of self acceptance. They serve their purpose, and no new members come in, so the groups dissolve.

I have many friends with whom I fail to keep adequate levels of communication, but I keep the same e-mail address valid for years and years, and love to hear from longtime friends.
    Hugs,

Bernice

Short Skirts & Long Legs
    Funny you ask about support groups...the only support around here would be support while they tarred and feathered you...

...but if you're willing to drive a couple of hours we do have tri-ess in charlotte, nc and in the lexington, ky areas...

I think there are 2 in my city, but I am not a member.

Support groups? In Oklahoma?

Oh my word, if there are they are a best kept secret, and certainly none in the town I live in.

I wonder if there isn't some minimum population required where those of us with huge anxiety and fear problems could be anticipated to be a low probability. With 40,000 in my town, the odds are SCAAAAAAARY

Pretty sure that there are no support groups within an hour and 45 minutes of here.
    :GE:Don't sweat the small stuff...and its all SMALL stuff.

I wish there was a group close to here. for freindship and support.

Kymmie

The Denver area has an excellent Tri-Ess chapter. Thank goodness for it!
    Alex Forbes
    Faux Femme
    Flickr Page

CD/TG groups in Kentucky

Hello Susan, I see Beth already wrote about our group in Lexington, Transkentucky, a really nice group of people, I know it is a bit of a dreive. I am a member but seldom ghet to attend due to home situation, however my boy side enjoys dating accomplished special aldies, perhaps we could get acquainted. Merry Christmas !! David [Jean Marie]

yes i live in birmingham england and i've found out theres one just 2 miles from where i live - they meet up every 2 weeks and regulary arrange trips to bars restaurants clubs ect - i've seen their photo galery on the net and it looks like !with others i havnt done it yet but i imagine you would very quickly come to realise how good you look by peoples reactions towards you - i want to meet a girl for a relationship but want her to know who i am what i do right from the start this to me is the best way of going about it - i think they would guess you might be a cd if you are wearing womans clothing when they meet you ! what the hell i'm going to give it a go anyway nothing to loose !