Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is your writing male or female - the gender genie

A social scientist Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    I guess that depends on how you define "pseudoscience." Those of us with social science degrees (my undergraduate is in psychology) would probably disagree with you though.
    I am one of those social scientist. I have a BS in Psychology and an MS in Counseling. Obviously, there are ways to fool the test, as is the case for many of those that are posted on here from time to time. It is easy to read the question and come up with some type of inference on what they are looking for. If it is a forced choice type questionaire then by just reading the selections A-E you can come up with the answer that is most appropriate for the outcome that you might be seeking. This test is a little different because you have choices of either writing an entry and then submitting it, submitting documents that you have previously written, or maybe a combination of the two. That is what I did for my entry. I copied several letters that I had written recently to my wife, documents and communications that I had written for work, letters, and some of my posts here in this forum.

I think that with this test and many of the others you must look at it as just plain fun, and whatever the outcome, it probably does not influence a great deal one way or the other. It is not that earth shattering to know what type of panty your are, what type of sock you are, so on and so on. It is kind of a neat way to just have some fun and see how you rate.

So my results are, and we social scientist are great bags of wind! HA HA HA
    Words: 2585
    Female Score: 4462
    Male Score: 3625
    The gender genie thinks the author of this passage is: female

It was fun. Curiously, I think I will ask my wife to write something into it and see what it says about her.

I gave it an article one of my out and abouts. It just *has* to be valid:

Words: 1117
    Female Score: 1814
    Male Score: 1250

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Recent posting of mine about my first individual therapy session: notably female

Technical document I wrote up yesterday about the internal working of a computer program: about 3:2 male (approximate ratio)

Posting I wrote not so long ago about breast size choice: about 5:3 male.

Initial largeish post of my thread about whether I'm CD or androgynous: about 3:2 male.

I would have expected the post about breast size to come out more female.

So, unlike most of you, my random writings tend to come out on the male side.

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    First attempt

Female Score: 426
    Male Score: 393

living the dream

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by insearchofme View Post
    Makes me think, is proper use of the English language a femine trait?

I'm going to go with an emphatic "NO" on that one. What's a "femine" trait, anyway? Grammatical incompetency seems to strike both sexes. The real difference reveals itself in style -- male writing tends toward the logical and expository, while female expression leans toward feeling. Shock, right?

So... I fed a few of my blog entries into this piece of pseudo-scientific rubbish, and -- surprise! -- it told me what I have pretty much known my entire life:

Words: 1819
    Female Score: 2589
    Male Score: 3267

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!

I posted a clip from a story I'v helped write in the writers section of this forum. this was my score.
    Female Score: 161
    Male Score: 57
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Wild Women Never Get The Blues[/SIZE]

You know that's an interesting topic in that since I went full time I've noticed that while my last name has stayed the same, how i write it HAS. I do write diferently as a girl than boi. huh. go figure. Carol

Interesting.

hmm this was pretty interesting i posted the first two pages of a Sci-fi short story i'm writing.... this was my score

Female Score: 1794
    Male Score: 1661

i didn't expect that, but when looking at the words they used to flag if it was male or female i realised that the male words were much more direct and specific types of words. One of the major differences between how men and women speak is that women, in general, tend to be way more indirect than men.

it's sorta like that Jeff Foxworthy joke from ages ago when his wife said it's a little hot in the room and he jumped up and opened the window. (just an example of a more extreme version of this). But i think that is what this is doing.

I'm a Language Nerd btw.... langauge, linguistics, culture's involvment in language is my thing lol.

I decided to take a story I wrote last april about breaking up with my ex and feed it through the genie. That was before I started thinking about my gender issues so I wouldn't have skewed it subliminally or anything.

Words: 3399
    (NOTE: The genie works best on texts of more than 500 words.)

Female Score: 4587
    Male Score: 4505

It was just about split down the middle, oddly enough.

Steph