Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing to possibly become a mental disease!

Homosexuality was once considered a disease, why don't the psychiatrists try to provide remedy for that group?

If crossdressing were such mental disease, then half of Japan's male population would be consider infected.

Well its just two doctors saying that. Besides many studies have shown there are physical differences between Cd and non Cds.
    Bored? Try wearing a pretty dress. It's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickii* View Post
    Relax. I don't think anyone should be frightened over this. It's all he-say-she-say right now.

Everyone thinks doctors are out to get them.
    Thats not true! The voices in my head said they ARE out to get me! A straight jacket might be ok as long as it was pink.

The official word

Diagnostic Criteria for 302.3 Transvestic Fetishism

A. Over a period of at least 6 months, in a heterosexual male, recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving cross-dressing.

B. The fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

It's Part B that's the problem. Happy crosdressers -Good. Unhappy crosdressers - have a mental disease (according to DSM IV).

So crossdress and be happy. I do.

I disagree with that definition, wiki definition makes better sense:

Transvestic fetishism refers specifically to cross-dressing; sexual arousal in response to individual garments is fetishism.[1] Transvestic fetishism can occur with or without gender dysphoria[1]; that is, there are people who experience sexual arousal with cross-dressing and want to become the other sex, and there are there are people who experience sexual arousal with cross-dressing but do not want to become the other sex.

Some male transvestic fetishists collect women's clothing, e.g. nightgowns, babydolls, slips, and other types of nightwear, lingerie, stockings and pantyhose, items of a distinct feminine look and feel. They may dress in these feminine garments and take photographs of themselves while living out their secret fantasies.

if crossdressing was such a mental illness, then maybe one solution is to have society convert to Chinese Maoist style of dress: men & women wear the same exact clothing....no individual style whatsoever. We would all look like Chinese communists. That would solve all psychiatric, and moral dilemmas!

(btw, no one in China dresses like that anymore these days, except for the elderly population, that concept has since faded away ...I've been there a couple of times!)

A few thousand years ago , there was no such thing as fabric, or looms to make the fabric . People would have had to wear animal skins. Are you telling me that how an animal skin is cut and worn is going to determine one's gender role in society? Women didn't shave their legs because there were no razors. Jumping back to modern times, The whole concept of women's fashion (nylon hose high heel shoes, etc) is based on what makes women look attractive to men. Thus the fashion industry is born.

Then maybe we should all file for a disability with Social Security.

Just when you get comfortable with who & what you are, a couple of quacks tell me I'm mentally ill!! I think I'll buy some new heels to cheer myself up!

personally speaking, obviously a CDer here, otherwise i wouldnt be here now would i? lol

but id class CDing etc as a mental disorder.

many people get stressed and confused upon their realisation of CDing? it can cause problems or issues.
    it is not 'Generally' speaking the average norm ( please dont say ''who is to say what the norm is ) and it can change from pleasure ( sexual ) Cding to comfort CDing.

I dont like to say it but i would consider it a little bit of a mental issue to be honest.

I dont mean to cause offense to anyone, apologies if so.
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

No offence taken but there is a difference between a mental issue & a mental disease. When I play golf & continually miss 3ft putts, that's a mental issue! I think it's widely regarded that CDing is well within acceptable parameters of human behavier.

Hopefully it becomes a disease, then maybe I can get some consistent pot.

I heard that in the DSM VI, it will state that being human is, not only a disease, but a fatal one! Oh dear, when will the madness end!
    So I like dressing like girl. BIG DEAL!

mental illness... maybe

How many of you would plead insanity, because you're simply crazy about crossdressing?

Kelly
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Quote Originally Posted by jazmine View Post
    I heard that in the DSM VI, it will state that being human is, not only a disease, but a fatal one! Oh dear, when will the madness end!
    Are you confusing that with the Bible? My understanding
    (ignorant as it is) that we are all born as "inherent sinners"...Book of Genesis...Adam & Eve....forbidden fruit.........

Nathalie, I don't think that Jazmine's reference to DSM VI is to the bible. It is to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Sixth Edition (DSM-VI).
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

I think we should really fight this. It's simply not true that it's a disorder that threatens the person who has it.

Quote Originally Posted by dawnmarrie1961 View Post
    Nathalie, I don't think that Jazmine's reference to DSM VI is to the bible. It is to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Sixth Edition (DSM-VI).
    I know...I already read it..the DSM-IV, that is . ...however not VI.
    All I know that after judgement day comes, there's gonna be one helluva party in my corner of Hell, and you're all invited!
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 07-18-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Nathalie, not everything needs to become a biblical argument. Belief is matter of personal preference. I respect yours. You need to respect ours, no matter what that may be.

So lets stop the rhetoric now before it gets out of hand.
    Please.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Everyone use the psycheatrist as a reference for mental "rigthness" in our modern society... but, remember the more your crazy and sick the more you ough to be a good psycheatrist (true and tested fact sadly), so everyone is sick and everyone should consult... or live your live and don't worry, being perfect will soon be an illness anyway

BTW,the "nuttiest" people I have ever met was when I was in college. They have a name for them. They are called "phsyc professors".

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Well, obviously, the person who is proposing to do this, does not know what he/she is talking about.

Crossdressing is merely a SYMPTOM associated with SEVERAL often unrelated conditions ("diseases") rather than a condition/"disease" in its own right.

It makes as much sense to call a "FEVER" a "disease" it too being only a symptom of many, many other conditions.

Note i use the term "Condidtion" rather than 'disease", as who is to say what defines a "disease".

Quote Originally Posted by Empress Lainie View Post
    I read in a post somewhere else that two doctors are trying to get crossdressing`declared as transvestism, a mental disease for the new DSM V...
    I do not believe that will happen.

There will always be people who hate us and want us to go away or change (ie: pretend to not be ourselves). Some of these people will be doctors and mental health professionals. Haters come in all forms.

Crossdressing/transgenderism is not a mental illness and MOST mental health experts know that. My psychiatrist, who has nearly 40 years in the field, treats the whole thing as a complexity, not NOT an abnormality. It is a complexity, as he puts it, because of how society screws with our minds.

Crossdressing is NOT a mental illness and it's not going to be proven as one.

Many years ago, being left-handed was something they tried to "correct". All it did was leave a bunch of lefties with very poor handwriting skills and some terrible memories. Those who tried to "correct" lefties were also considered "experts". This will all get looked at like some big joke in the future... the so called "expects" who say crossdressing is a mental illness, that is.

Haters are a dime a dozen. They'll never go away. Neither will we... nor will the truth.

I've enjoyed meeting plenty of intelligent crossdressers in my online adventures. Didn't see a hint of mental illness in any of them. I'm pretty sure non-crossdressers will notice the same.
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaJaneThomas View Post
    In the UK we view things differently. Here the D in GID stands for Dysphoria not Disorder. It's a big difference. As for the wider trans community, I've yet to find any meaningful research which adds anything to Hershfeld's efforts. Any dual-role gender variant person who ends up needing psychiatric care is likely to have mental issues separate from their gender identity and so are not representative of the wider trans community. But for anyone who wants to stigmatise trans people rather than understand them those patients make very good ammunition.
    I have to agree with Rachel and PaulaJane here. History is replete with examples of "mainstream experts" marginalizing entire groups of people that do not fit the societal norms, even if they are not hurting anyone else. In more distant history this role was filled by religious authority figures "demonizing" certain behaviors by saying they reflected evil or satanistic infuences. Now, of course, this is done by people with lots of degrees describing those practicing otherwise harmless behaviors as being mentally ill. What better way to marginalize all CDers by saying they all have a "mental disorder".

I have stated on this forum before that the problem with crossdressing is not with the individual that practices it, but rather with the society that imposes its penalties on those individuals for breaking societal gender norms. After all, we are talking about clothes and appearance here, something which is only harmful to the extent that society is unwilling to accept differences in individual taste that go beyond certain boundaries.

At one time not long ago, it was considered "unacceptable" by society for GG's to wear pants and other "masculine" apparel. I would be willing to guess (although I do not have any information to prove it) that some crackpot with an MD or PhD after their name would have tried to label this a "mental disorder" as well.

Anyway, just my worth on this issue!

>>>hugs<<<
    Pauline

Quote Originally Posted by Empress Lainie View Post
    I read in a post somewhere else that [SIZE="4"]two doctors[/SIZE] are trying to get crossdressing`declared as transvestism, a mental disease for the new DSM V.

Two doctors being opposed to what I do I could care less. Once I become a doctor that will be one more in favor of it not being a mental disease. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. They feel we have mental issues well I feel they do to.

Unexpected Woman Empress Lainie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vickii* View Post
    Relax. I don't think anyone should be frightened over this. It's all he-say-she-say right now.

Everyone thinks doctors are out to get them.
    Of course they are. I have seen it time and again. Its all about money not your best interest (well maybe most of the time, there are exceptions)

Quote Originally Posted by cindychan View Post
    Well its just two doctors saying that. Besides many studies have shown there are physical differences between Cd and non Cds.
    Thanks for the info, I was unaware of that but I had read of physical differences between "normal men" and homo men, and also between "normal men" and transwomen in the hypothalamus I think I recall. I would assume the same applies to ftm's too, but never saw any such references.

Quote Originally Posted by jazmine View Post
    Then their real secret goal will be achieved - EVERYONE needs psychiatric therapy. Remember the 20's and 30's when all women were said to need psychoanalysis?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabie View Post
    Everyone use the psychiatrist as a reference for mental "rightness" in our modern society... but, remember the more your crazy and sick the more you ought to be a good psychiatrist (true and tested fact sadly), so everyone is sick and everyone should consult... or live your live and don't worry, being perfect will soon be an illness anyway
    Good point, I never met one that was "normal." They are all nuts and become psychiatrists so they can prove that everyone is nuts, and should be treated by them so they can line their pocketbooks. I read once that the rate of cure by psychiatrists was the same or less than counseling by a pastor. I believe it, even counseling with a friend should show the same results - unless your friend is nuts too. I had one that was going to "cure" celiac disease by psychiatric counseling at $125 per hour. I never paid him. It was for my poor wife afflicted with it. It took us years to discover what the problem was, no internet then.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura_Stephens View Post
    BTW,the "nuttiest" people I have ever met was when I was in college. They have a name for them. They are called "psych professors".
    I agree completely. I remember one that told me when studying Fraud (on purpose) that we didn't have to believe the material, just be able to pass the test.

Quote Originally Posted by xxlolitaxx View Post
    Two doctors being opposed to what I do I could care less. Once I become a doctor that will be one more in favor of it not being a mental disease. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. They feel we have mental issues well I feel they do to.

Hurry up and get there sweety, we all need you desperately!

I thank all of you for your responses on this thread, they are heart warming.
    [SIZE=2]Ascended Ancient[/SIZE]