Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is it Cross dressing?

This would be in the eye of the beholder I'm thinking.

In mine it would be crossdressing if you are wearing any clothing of the opposite sex. Whether that is just a pair of heels or the complete look it would qualify as crossdressing. I've spoken to many over the years and found the range from those that fixate on a particular article of clothing to those of us who emulate a woman completely and I believe we are all crossdressing. The exception to this of course would be those sisters who are transsexual.

My humble opinion...and yes, it's only worth 2 cents in this economy...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Aspiring Member
    if its uggly cotton and heavy and does not have hooks and eyes your not crossdressing ...anything ells you are hahhaahh! that includes those satin disk-o shirts!
    Last edited by suit; 02-04-2010 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    ......If you are a man, and wear something made for a woman you are crossdressing!!.....
    I don't quite agree here, Stelphanie. I tend to agree with some of the others when they say, if you think you are crossdressing, then you are. I know when I wear something that is made for women, but that is more appropiate for my need, then is isn't crossdressing.

I know when I am crossdressing. An example is I will wear shoe inserts that are womens because they are much more closer to my size than the mens inserts are.

Sometimes it can be the same article that I wear and it depends on the purpose I am wearing it. I wear women's trouser socks in my skating boots because the boots are very tight and those are the only socks that I can wear with them. If I wear the same trouser socks when I am wearing a mid-calf length skirt, then I am crossdressing. I use a sport carrying bag to carry test equipment in because it is the perfect size for what I need. If I put my makeup in it and carry it while wearing a dress then I am using it for crossdressing. I have long hair and it depends on how I wear it and what else I am wearing, that it is for crossdressing or not.

For me,
    If I am wearing it because of my idenity with women, then it is crossdressing.
    If I am wearing it becsuse of nothing but practical purposes, then it is not.
    Last edited by Jonianne; 02-04-2010 at 06:49 AM.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

Then I'm right, I crossdress everyday because I wear something female all day everyday. Sometimes much more than other times but always something.

Smile

No crucifix, so I'm not a cross-dresser.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

I don't know why they call it crossdressing... I never get angry about it.

Where can one obtain a copy of the rule book?

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    There are no "skirts" made for men.. Kilts... Don't count.
    Surely kilts made for girls must count, and what about shorts. One current fashion in the UK is shorts over tights (pantyhose).

Does the rule book allow leggings or jeggings (Jeans leggings) if they are not worn under a skirt or dress?
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    More and more, I feel like I'm cross dressing when I have to put drabs on. To "Society at large" it would be the other way around but I know inside that I was made for wearing comfortable clothes, not drabs.

I don't think I have ever worn heels without wearing at least panties and preferably a skirt and top at the same time, but as others have said - if you consider you are cross dressed when wearing just that, then you are.

This is a big family and we are each unique in some aspect. The big thing is that like genetic siblings, we may squabble amongst ourselves, but we know we belong together.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathytg
    Personally, I think we are cross dressing when are wearing anything that gives us the pleasure of the clothing. It is an attitude or a state of mind for me. But, how dressed is dressing?
    [SIZE="2"]To me, crossdressing (by definition) involves any level of dressing, and I often have outfits that sample items from both genders. Full dressing is, to me, transvestism, the absolute pinnacle of crossdressing that knows no bounds – my own ZENITH, if you will! I climb to the peak because it’s there, and I know I have the strength to make it…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Perhaps if you just put it on to get sexually aroused, then it isn't crossdressing?
    Honey, I know you may be thinking I'm a crossdresser. But since I am sexually aroused by wearing a wig, makeup, bra, panties, pantyhose, dress, and high heels, I'm really not a crossdresser. Feel better?

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Honey, I know you may be thinking I'm a crossdresser. But since I am sexually aroused by wearing a wig, makeup, bra, panties, pantyhose, dress, and high heels, I'm really not a crossdresser. Feel better?
    Nonsense Nicole, being a crossdresser or TS or whatever has more to do with state of mind than sexual arousal.

Now what is technically "crossdressing?" I would say probably when mostly the whole ensemble is worn, like presenting as female. But more important is the state of mind.

I mean a guy can crossdress but not be a CD. A Drag queen would be an example. I think a CD is someone who does it on a regular basis but doesn't want to live as a woman. But then I might be wrong there, I mean Virginia Prince was a CD but pretty much CD'ed full time.

It is a state of mind folks.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

It's All Individual

I don't think much about whether or not I or others' dress preferences constitute cross dressing. As a matter of convenience, I accept the view, given by several above, that wearing a single item, or an ensemble, intended for the opposite sex. constitutes cross dressing, to whatever degree. If I want to look up some information connected with my choices, looking under the heading of "Cross Dressing" gets me to where I want to go. Period.

I envy women who are free to wear any kinds of clothing intended for males without drawing criticism on themselves. Why can't we all just get on with it?

Not your typical girl Lissa Stevens's Avatar
    Any more I feel more cross-dressed when I am endrab than when enfemme.
    [SIZE="2"]Melissa[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm still standin'
    Better than I ever did
    Lookin' like a true survivor
    Feeling like a little kid
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Oh, I hate getting caught up in semantics. Cross dressing technically is wearing the clothes of the other gender. Even unintentionally, I suppose...however that might happen.

Now, if you are sexually arroused, some would classify you as a cross dressing fetishist...not a term anyone particularly likes...its just used here as a technical term tho, no offense intended.

I think someone pointed out that to some degree cross dressing falls under the broader umbrella of phenomena called trans gender...which I can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    Nonsense Nicole, being a crossdresser or TS or whatever has more to do with state of mind than sexual arousal.
    Nicole E, I was trying for a somewhat sarcastic response to Persephone's question that if it's for sexual arousal it isn't really crossdressing. I guess I failed.

Anyway, some of us are getting all hung up on words and their different meanings to different people. Not that it matters but I, for one, believe that wearing things intended for the other gender is crossdressing. I particularly like lipstick. When time doesn't permit me to completely dress and make up fully, sometimes I just put on lipstick. It arouses me. I still consider that a crossdressing activity.

I don't think intent matters. Some us dress for sexual arousal, and some to "get in touch with their femnine side" or other reasons. When we dress as a woman, it's crossdressing.

For me cross-dressing is when I completey dress as a woman and present to the world as one. That's make up, bra, skirt mainly, tights and shoes. Although reading these responses it seems that every one has a different slant on what cross dressing means to them. This just shows the wide spectrum of cross dressers are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by silkenhose View Post
    I think it is cross dressing when you wear even one article of female clothing.
    It depends. If the femme article you're wearing changes the way you feel about yourself, then I agree. But if a non CD wears an article of clothing for a laugh, or if even he fully dresses for some Halloween fun and he still feels like his regular guy self, then I don't think this is CDing.

There's a thread in the Media section about 8,000 guys in New Orleans who recently showed up in drag and walked down Canal Street to celebrate the Saints going to the Super Bowl. Most of them weren't CDing in the sense that it didn't alter their gender identification.

... Not to , but this is why I don't get it when some members say that GGs are CDing when they wear pants. Wearing pants doesn't make them feel like guys (excepting our own transguys, of course).

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Perhaps if you just put it on to get sexually aroused, then it isn't crossdressing?
    I think the same rule applies, Persephone. If someone gets sexually aroused because wearing the item of clothing makes her feel like a woman, then she is CDing. But if he knows he's still going to feel like a guy, and he wears femme apparel for kink (like someone else might get off on latex, feet, wearing diapers, etc), then he wouldn't be CDing.
    Last edited by ReineD; 02-05-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    Reine

Made to fit men!

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Its only crossdressing when you wear a skirt or a dress!! Anything else (aka jeans) is not.. According to the rule book! Chapter 3, page 8... Line 5... Hey.. I don't make the rules up ya know!
    To heck with rules! But when you put on a pair of jeans, t-shirt and ball cap you are cross dressed. Just got to wal-mart and see what real women wear.

Seriously!

We fit into another category that should be our own.

OK Karen see here now Says right there "Made to fit men"

http://www.crossdresser.com/product_...tID=13&Search=
    "Originally Posted by Anne66"
    It's store policy: whatever you're looking for, that's what they're out of. And the chances of finding it are in inverse proportion to how much you want it.