Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Im Assuming These Aren’t For You

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar
    I'm guessing she first thought she was simply doing you a little favor.
    She sees a guy buying panties and she thinks maybe he feels a bit embarrassed buying panties for his wife/girlfriend, so she decides to make a little joke.
    She wanted you to know that she didn't think you were buying them for yourself.

And then when you said "Actually they are" for you, she may have thought that she made things worse by "forcing" you to reveal your secret.
    That's why she felt so awkward.

I think she meant well, but as we all know, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I would've said, "most of the guys buying lingerie it's for them."
    She's not been on the job long it seems.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Consider another possible interpretation of the SA's words and reactions:

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Babe Claire View Post
    So Yesterday I was in Kmart buying some new panties, and when I took them to the checkout the SA looked at me and said I'm assuming these Aren’t for you
    I might be young, but I know lots of men get embarrassed buying panties, I'll try to make it easier by joking with him

So I replied in my calmest voice Actually they are. She looked so Shocked but she just kept scaning the items,
    Rats! Now I've embarrassed him into coming out in front of all these customers, better keep my mouth shut for a bit

Then just after I had paid for them she looked up at me again and said you've made my job very awkward now,
    How am I ever going to put a guy at ease with a joke in future when doing so might out him?

I could be miles off, but if my interpretations were right, would you all still want to crucify the store girl?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

should have asked hr if she wanted to see the ones you were wearing
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

I once was paying for a cute black and red bustier with matching panty and black seamed stockings when the cashier looked at me and said, "You're going to look darling in these".

Without missing a beat I just smiled and replied, "Oh I certainly hope so!"
    As I left she still had her mouth open...

And I did look darling in them....
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I am glad you got a good laugh out of it, lifes to short to dwell on others insecurities, hopefully overtime as she sells more and more panties and even more panties to guys she will become less awkward at it! I wonder how bra sales will go! I went to a pennys a few years ago and bought some panties and the sales clerk gave me a dirty look the whole time I was waiting at the counter but said nothing. I left and thought what a sour puss! I went their recently and a sales gal came up to me while shopping with a genuine smile and asked if she could help we talked about slips and she was very helpful and friendly with suggestions not once did she ask who it was for (She new)! I have noticed things improving, a sale is a sale and we are a surprising piece of the market and the smart store mangers know it!

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    I once was paying for a cute black and red bustier with matching panty and black seamed stockings when the cashier looked at me and said, "You're going to look darling in these".

Without missing a beat I just smiled and replied, "Oh I certainly hope so!"
    As I left she still had her mouth open...
    That part doesn't matter, what does it -

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    And I did look darling in them....
    What? No photos?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by mklinden2010 View Post
    "I'm assuming these Aren’t for you..."

Are you...? Really?

That's... Interesting...

Is there a discount if they are?

LOL.. Now thats funny. I should try that sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    That reminds me of a game I used to play with friends (just talk about, never actually doing it): Come up with the list of any three items to buy at the grocery store that make the cashier do a double-take.

Something like plastic wrap, rubber gloves and chocolate syrup.
    That made me laugh for a very long time. I may just have to do that some day. Of course, I'd have to buy some whipped cream too.
    Warmest regards,
    Pamela

The avvy pic isn't me
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    Now your job is to hit her line each time you buy something femme. Maybe next time buy a box of tampons just to make her job extra akward.
    just make sure it gets recorded on video
    Sounds like the manager needs to do a little extra training with that one. my (Cassie)

Silver Member
    Another initial reply could have been about the risks of assuming and would have been more vague.
    We do need to take some responsibility when we say these things are for us. Obviously she really didn't want to know. It is sort of the same thing when asked by a stranger "How are you today?" They don't want the real answer unless it is, "Fine, and how are you?" IMHO, the high road would have been of course not or simply no reply. It takes two to tango. My guess is she will stop using that line, problem solved. Glad to hear you left her with a smile!!

As long as it wasn't awkward for you. She will get over it I'm sure.
    Angie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I've only been asked that one time.

When I answered, "Yes", the SA almost fell down, she was laughing so hard!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I would have retorted, "Actually mam, it is not me that makes your job awkward, but your attitude that does." With that I would have smiled, tipped my head to her, and left.

How dare she question who or for what purpose you are buying them for? If I was her manager, I'd have a word with her.
    Enacting life's lessons into positive change...

I have had sales associates and cashiers ask if these panties, bras, etc., are for me. I always answer yes, unless my wife is with me. They usually have a nice remark about the choice or or color of what I purchased.

Go into Walmart, Kmart, Bas Pro Shops, etc. and purchase a shotgun, a box of ammunition,and a ski mask. That should draw a second glance. Andrea

Customer Service Jobs

As a number of others have pointed out here, many times the counter people are just trying to either make their, or the customers day a little less monotonous. I wouldn't crucify this gal for saying that as it was most likely just an icebreaker of sorts. Who knows, maybe she thought he was cute and was trying to get a conversation going. We don't know. I think the most important thing is the intent of her comments, both the "these aren't for you" and the "awkward" ones. If her tone was not snarky or derogatory then odds are that she was probably just making pleasant chit chat and got a little thrown by the (assumedly) uncommon response. Not a biggie. Best way in my opinion, would be to calm her down, say something to the effect of "no reason to feel awkward, no harm done" smiled and be on your way. Seems to me like it was a no harm no foul situation.

Quote Originally Posted by az_newbie View Post
    the last time I was in Target I bought a box of wine and a 30 pack of disposable latex gloves, and the old man at the register was visibly uncomfortable when I checked out

...it was awesome
    Perv! Buying wine in front of an old man. Shame on you!

Hi Claire - I'm a Bris vegas girl too. Which KMart were you at?

Tash

So Yesterday I was in Kmart buying some new panties, and when i took them to the checkout the SA looked at me and said Im assuming these Aren’t for you, ...
    You know what is said about "assume" - Make and ass out of you and me.

Rachael
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

and then some days you get SA's like i had today at charlotte russe.. more than willing to let you have or do anything you want... just so long as show them just how good it all looks.....

totally oposite experiance. but when complaining.. remember there is the oposite out there2..

When I first started buying feminine clothes, I was extremely worried about what the check-out folks would say. I would use wal-mart exclusively, and then only those with self-check-outs. I did NOT want to get any questions!As I look back on that, it's a little amusing. I'm not as shy now, but would still not be happy with a negative comment. I AM getting bolder, but not very quickly.

Freddy

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    Consider another possible interpretation of the SA's words and reactions:

I might be young, but I know lots of men get embarrassed buying panties, I'll try to make it easier by joking with him

Rats! Now I've embarrassed him into coming out in front of all these customers, better keep my mouth shut for a bit

How am I ever going to put a guy at ease with a joke in future when doing so might out him?

I could be miles off, but if my interpretations were right, would you all still want to crucify the store girl?
    I believe you're spot on with your interpretations.

I bought a thong at Wal-Mart one time, and the cashier (a guy), while checking me out, said something like it wasn't my color...or something like that.

Despite what we'd want to believe sometimes, I still think that at least 75% of the men who are buying panties/other female clothing are NOT buying them for themselves. But I do think that female cashiers will tend to joke with you a little more, in an attempt to lighten the mood, cause they know that a guy buying something for his girlfriend, particularly panties or tampons, while rare, is a very nice gesture.

Silver Member
    Had a cashier ask if the two bras I was buying were for me. I said "They sure are". She cracked up and said this one will go with your blue eyes. We had fun with it, but I was amazed she couldn't see that I had a bra on that showed through my shirt and projected the girls. The other cashier caught it, but who cares.

I did have a young guy checking me out one day and told me he didn't see how I could buy women's clothes (lingerie) because he couldn't bring himself to buy them for his wife. The guy next to me suspected they were for me and I started to tell the clerk, but he would have had a melt down. The other guy and I just laughed.

Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer.

I've never had that experience when I shop. However if it had occured I would get there name and right after I paid and collected my purchases I'd go right over to speak to the manager and let them know they had a biggot working for them and that this person shouldn't be working with the public.

IMO if you can't tolerate different people don't seek a job working with the public you're bound to run into alot of different people on a daily basis not just crossdressers. I mean WTF is this moron gonna question someone from Italy for buying an apple pie which is as american as you can get. I better stop now I'm getting really steamed time to go chill out.
    Hugs and kisses Brenda