Thread: Going out for the first time in Dallas? I need some advice & encouragment..

Going out for the first time in Dallas? I need some advice & encouragment..

I'm seriously considering going out fully dressed in Dallas when I am up there for work. This is a big deal for me! I've wanted to go out for a long time here in Austin but I've never had the opportunity AND the courage to actually do it. I know this is a pitty, since Austin is such a great town. However, for my first time out, I need a bit more seperation from my everyday world. So, that's why I'm so excited about this chance.

For all the Dallas girls out there, where should I go? (It will probably be a Sunday or Monday night.) Since I'll be alone and terrified, I really want a place that will be CD friendly. I have no illusion about being able to pass, but it would be nice to go somewhere where I could dress up a bit and feel pretty. Any suggestions, advice & encouragment would be greatly appreciated.

-Danielle
    Danielle

The Oaklawn area has a lot of places that are CD friendly. I am sure some of the local girls can tell you more. I have been out there and it was so much fun. I would love to get back to Dallas when I get some time but work has been hectic lately. When do you plan to be in Dallas?
    Danielle

Allie Summers, who posts here, has a well-established meetup.com group for the girls in the D/FW area. Group events are posted on the site, and if you read about past events you should get some good ideas of places to go.

http://www.meetup.com/tgresources/
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]

Oh....you're in for a great time if you will just relaxand enjoy your fem time. The Crossroads area (Cedar Springs and Trockmorton intersection) has numerous GLBT clubs and venues. They where a lot of the gays and lesbians and cross dressers go to party and have fun. There are also several nice resturants in this local as well.

The Melrose Hotel ( I think its now called the Landmark) is right in this area. It is a classic 20's era hotel with a great resturaunt and very nice bar, The Library. Had a drink there last Monday night and I was very comfortable, even using the ladies room. The down side is that the hotell and bar are a little pricey. Otherwise there are several hotels in the Market Center district that I'm sure a a little more reasonable and are really just a short drive away. Parking in the Crossroads area on most any evening can be a challenge, so the Melrose may be worth the price to avoid having to drive and hunt parking (lots of tow-a-way spots as well).

During your daytime, I would suggest going to North Park Mall. There's tons of great shopping there. Depending on how well you pass, you can either park and enter the stores, Dillards, Macy's, Nieman Marcus, Nordstroms directly from the parking or if you feel comnfortable enough you can stroll the mall corridors going shop to shop. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes. Nothing worse han you feet hurting just when you find a great shopping spot. There is also the Galleria Mall further north on IH635. Pretty mush your typical Gallaria Mall venue and also ther is Preston Center shopping Center at Preston Road and Northwest Highway, just about five miles directly up the road from the Melrose.

Oh Girl....you have so much to look forward to. I rarely if ever have any negative treatment, only occasionally an odd stare, but WTF; these people do not know me, much less recognise me so I just go about by Girly business and feel fem, and pretty and ever so good.

I'm sure you'll run into other T-girls in the crossroads area. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at the Rose Room in this area they have a female impersonator show. Just ask anyone in the area and they can fill you in ....or google it.

SO have a great time in Dallas, and enjoy our hospitality. Be good, be safe.

Paula

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I once walked from the West End through Deley Plaza on to Union Station crossdressed just before noon on a weekday and had no problems at all. I even made a youtube video of it.

I've also crossdressed in several public areas in downtown Austin (Amtrak station and the State Capitol building) but I understand not wanting to go out in your town. The chances of seeing someone you know are too great.

P.S. I've also got youtube videos of me in downtwon Austin.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Restaurants

The I35 and Northwest Highway intersection area is rife with fantastic eateries as well. Be sure to try some TexMex. Totally different from Mexican fair.

For a real treat, head into Deep Ellum (the eclectic area of Dallas) There is a restaurant there called Aca Y Alla.The owner is a rather interesting person. She is a TS named Monica (and has killer legs) and her restaurant is consistently rated in the top 10 by "D" magazine. The fare is a unique blend of Mexican and pan Asian. VERY comfortable atmosphere for everyone.

http://www.monicas.com/

sunny with a high of 75!
    Club info (all in the "crossroads" area, or the "gayborhood"- I35 to Oak Lawn, head NE, turn left on Cedar Springs, all are used to seeing us):
    S4 is very shiny, has the drag shows upstairs Fri-Sat-Sun nights. It's a very young crowd on Sundays. Check the web for "cruisin' the crossroads" to when to get in without a cover charge.
    JR's- gay bar (like Cheer's only gay). No cover charge. Upstairs open-air bar also, overlooking the main intersection. Additional small lounge area (just a couple of couches) where it's quiet to talk or make out above the open-air bar.
    Sue Ellen's- lesbian dance club. About half and half pretty lesbians/butch lesbians. Live band upstairs. This is on Throckmorton in same building as JR's. Is also included in "cruisin' the crossroads"- check web for how to not pay cover charge.
    Roundup- gay western. No cover when I was there. Mostly older crowd (30+), can be wall-to-wall people (when it's like that, expect your a$$ to be grabbed as you try to cross the room, especially if you are tall and skinny). Karaoke in a front room some nights.
    Woody's- seems like Roundup but I haven't been in
    The Mining Company- most similar to S4 in music, but earthier and grittier, less pretentious. Often a live band on the patio, style varies.

Restaurants
    Panda Chinese- in the middle of the gayborhood, between JR's and S4. VERY good, I highly recommend the Princess Chicken.
    Hungdingers- OK Italian, on Throckmorton
    Blackeyed Pea- middle-aged crowd, occasional family. No problems whatsoever, it's in the middle of the gayborhood. THE BEST country fried steak I've ever eaten.
    The Bronx- mid- to upscale American. Again, no problems.
    Landmark restaurant at the Melrose- excellent, high dollar European cuisine
    Hunky's and Subway
    BuzzBrews- this one is on Lemmon, just north of Wycliff (about a mile from the gayborhood, between Chipotle and Radio Shack). I and a CD friend have eaten there 10+ times since late June, always dressed. No problems, and very welcoming staff. 24 hours on the weekends. Coffee all the time, and a bar, too. Dinner menu until 11:00 (try the Chicken Chimichanga or the chicken fajitas). Regular menu is eclectic, I often get a stuff-your-own crepe with spinach, feta, and sundried tomatoes.

Be sure to check out Allie's meetup group mentioned earlier. If there's not something happening when you are up this way, send me a message and I'll see about getting some of us together so you're not "flying solo", which is a sure way to rain on your parade.

Wow, Thank you for all the good advice. I'll report on my baby steps in a new post.
    Danielle