Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you be recognized?

Not sure. The girls at the thrift store recognize me in boy mode and girly mode. Except for one time. I was called M'am a few times at the mall. I had trouble recognizing a couple of cd friends when I first met them in boy mode.
    Take a look at the before and after pics in the sticky...some of us look really different.

My inner paranoid self says, of course people would recognize you. But, I also suspect that a least for first time encounters in a female context - the clothes, hair, make up etc, might provide some camouflage
    Last edited by kimdl93; 05-03-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo!

It depends. If I were to answer the door all dressed up, and it was someone I knew, they'd do a double-take and figure it out pretty quickly. In public, were I to walk past someone I knew, I doubt they would guess who I was. It still doesn't mean I'd pass, but I doubt I'd get busted, either.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

My real life scenario was shocking and eye opening to me. I was at a Tri-ess mtg held at a hotel conference room. So I am walking to and fro from hotel parking lot through lobby to conference room helping to set up. Yes I was fully enfemme and comfortable (read:confident). At the end of the meeting, I changed into DRAB mode and once again had to be introduced to some of the folk who've I been interacting with. Of course I did the glasses/contacts trick, but removing wig and makeup really changes my profile and my gait changes from swapping out pumps to beatup ragged sneakers. My femme sense of style is sooooo much better than male.

Are you kiddin??

We've played this game where a bunch of us from church will get together, only this time we brought our baby pictures. No one in the group had ever seen the pics and yet, from over 50 years ago, and they can pick me out. There's just something about a familiar face that people who know you, recognize....

Off for more shopping.....

Renne.....

I figure they can't identify you if they don't see you, that's why I'm in the closet!
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Aspiring Member
    I love this thread!
    I've never been out but don't think I'd be recognised. Saying that, I think I'd freeze on the spot if I spotted anyone who knows me lol

My perception is that I would be recognized instantly! However, the reality is that I probably wouldn't because people just wouldn't believe I am a crossdresser. Back to the perception, I'm well over 6' and because of that I'm self-conscious that would be a dead give away.
    Vivian

I've had friends at university fail to recognize me after I just grew my hair for a summer. I think I'd go undetected.
    ♫ I don't have to exist outside this place ♫
    Halley

I have never come face to face with anybody who might recognize me but I won't discount it ever happening either. With a wig to hide my bald noggin and feminine eyeglass frames it might be difficult for someone to recognize me at first glance, but if given enough time I'm sure I would be recognized by the shape of my face, and if anyone heard me talk my voice would be a dead giveaway.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Even trans people that know me only as Sally say they wouldn't recognize me when they see a male pic. Only someone who know my family would as I look a lot like my sister.
    Sally

Young Senior Citizen Elsa Larson's Avatar
    This is sort of "reverse passing":
    Two members of my local gender support group found themselves separately shopping in drab at the local Salvation Army Store. Before that, they had only seen each other en femme. Each thought she recognized the other but was not convinced enough to approach the other in the store. They confirmed it at the next month's support group meeting.
    What's between your legs and what you like to do with it is your business, not mine. Please give me the same courtesy.
    Everyone who refers to sexuality as a preference reveals their own bisexuality.
    I hope to live long enough to see a time when one's sexuality or gender identity is no more important than one's religion or politics.
    DO link up with your local support group. It's an easy way to meet similar people, help others, educate the public and be part of the political process.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tallelsa/

Because of the business I am in, I am well known in ,male mode. Michelle has started to appear at these functions with my wife as my sister. I see a great number of people now who know both Michelle and my male side. I don't think for a minute that anyone has made the connection. I find it to be a huge confidence booster.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I all but had a head-on collision with my sister-in-law at Macys just before Christmas. I can't say if it was the rush of the shoppers or the fact that she was not looking directly at me, but she didn't recognize me and I didn't give her any extra time to look again. I quickly turned towards a display case and used the mirror above it to make sure she didn't do a double-take. I was lucky, in that I had just gotten off the esculator, she would have had a straight on look at me for quite awhile if she had arrived just a 1/2 a minute earlier. I think that due to my wig (as much as anything, as I am almost bald now) that most people would not put my two personas together.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Hugs,

Carla

http://flickr.com/photos/carla4guage/

I used to fear being recognized by someone I knew while I was out.
    This past weekend I came out to a very dear friend (female) and showed her multiple pictures of myself. She had difficulty seeing me in those pictures. That was a relief. She knows me well and I'm sure if anyone other than my spouse could recognize me, she could have.
    No more worries....
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I feel that I am about 90% passable. But that last 10% is really important. I think I would be recognized.
    When a woman dresses like a man, it's ok. But when a man dresses like a woman, you think it's degrading. Because you think being a woman is degrading. -Madonna-

My first time out dressed i was out on hallowen I was told by many that i looked good and passable. SO i go to the bar order a drink and see a gilr i know never thought i would see her in this she new it was me as soon as she looked at me. SHe was great we talked the rest of the night she sill had not told her ex bf who a great frined of mine

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    My mother didn't recognize me, my best friend that I have golfed with for 25 years didn't I doubt most people would. If I was out alone I don't think I would be recognized but I don't go out alone so the people I am with would be known and my car has vanity plates. There are keys to spotting me but 99% of people have their own agendas and really don't pay attention anyway
    I got rid of my vanity plates just for that reason.
    Michelle

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I think maybe family suss things out,as your nearest and dearest they would im sure know right off that it was you,I once left a pic of me on my mobile fone in work and my friend said "oh I know who that is,she looks familiar" when I said it was me she was shocked,her reaction was the same one I've had a few times of "I would never have recognised you".So I think recognition comes to people who are around you the most

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMichelle View Post
    I got rid of my vanity plates just for that reason.
    Can't part with mine so I've learned to live with the risk!
    Sally

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    I'm pretty sure I'd be recognized. I don't wear a wig, and I wear rather distinctively-thick eyeglasses ... and despite having different frames, the look is gonna give me away.

I'll live with it, though.

Gold Member
    Some great stories. I think it appears that if we don't talk and don't give anyone a chance for real long checkouts, that we do get by. Something to think about when going out for your confidence. Leaves room to escape an encounter, if that is what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Sue, you've been one of the few in the position to see me "both ways" so I'll turn the question right back to you.
    Well Kathi, how about a reminder from my story from when I went out for the first time:

"[SIZE=2] I go ahead and pay for everything and head out the door. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a guy in one of the cars in one of the front parking spots and instead of turning to look at him, I keep my head up and keep walking towards my car. But then I hear my name and turn around to see that the "guy" was Kathi Lake in drab. This was my first time seeing her this way, so it took a moment."

Now obviously I didn't stare, but I didn't recognize you either. And that was even after you called out my name. I think you create quite a difference.

[/SIZE]

I’ve always been fascinated with human perceptions, specifically all of the endless factors which form them and influence them. I have studied perception and non-verbal behavior for years. I feel pretty confident in my abilities to manipulate my body language as necessary. I also feel I am able to pass well enough to well...”pass”, lol. (But not over an extended period).

Of course success depends heavily upon the circumstances, familiarity of subjects involved and length of “exposure”. I am confident in my abilities to be successful when I am operating outside of my “routine habitat” and in places not likely to initiate any cognitive matches to my personal affiliations. ( like seeing “me” at a tennis match when people know I like tennis, art museums etc.)

So, sure...I feel pretty confident...

but then

So was Bin Laden...and look where that thinking got him...!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Years ago I happened to walk past a man that I worked with, we looked at each other and continued on. I dreaded going to work on Monday but when we saw each other it was like it always was. This man was definitely a red neck and would of humiliated me no end if he knew it was me. Only time I actually came close to anyone I knew.

I always thought I would be...until...I went to a straight bar after a drag show and an old friend bought me a drink and tried to come on to me, only to be told who I was and that made for a funny moment!