Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you dress to stand out ?

When I am in I dress to please me, so I wear what I have in different mixes. I love very skimpy skirts for example and lounging around in next to nothing... but a very sexy next to nothing!

I haven't been out for a while and really need to correct this! When I used to go out I definately tried to blend in and whear a similar style to what most others were wearing. So I did the UGG boots and leggings thing, for example - it worked! What I really enjoyed most on my little excusrions was that nobody batted an eyelid (well once or twice they did and that worried me a lot... though their interest may have been different from my natural instinct of "oh s**t I've been clocked"!). I felt relatively free to just be out there and experience the joy of how it felt physically. I was never looking for attention, just to be able to walk about in the outside world.
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Do I dress to stand out.....No Silly.....I dress so I can walk in my wonderful high heels!

I don't go out, so I dont dress to stand out, and I like to think if I did go out, I would not like to stand out. I have very feminine but conservative tastes.

Platinum Member
    As I don't go out, So I can I dress the full spectrum depending on my mood.

Orchid

I'm 6'2 barefoot, so even in boy-mode I tend to stand out a bit. As I'm not a masochist, if I'm gonna be out walking a fair amount ( like shopping ), I wear comfortable flats ( some of which have a 1-2" heel ), but I don't dress dowdy "hoping to not be noticed"- I am what I am there's no shame in it. & no, I don't look like a hooker & don't have boobs a mile out from my chest.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 07-17-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

If I didn't want to stand out and be seen, pretty, or admired, I would just wear what I wear everyday. Any person here can blend in, it isn't hard to do, loose baggy sweat pants, worn sneakers, loose baggy top (even a guy top). It isn't rocket surgery. You don't want people to notice you, dress the way you do daily. If a TG wants to blend in, most clothes do just that. I wear 75-100 % womens (meaning from the department that says "hey theses clothes are not for men") every day, only a couple people have said anything and that is usually "that looks nice".

All this talk of "blending" is bull hockey (sorry Karren, that isn't like what you play...it involves pasture pucks). If you want to blend don't wear skirts! (or dresses). Look around, how many GG's are in skirts and dresses daily...and you know what people NOTICE when they are! They don't stay invisible. Fess up, when a TG says "Blend" they mean they want to look like a GG when she dresses up...the degree varies.

I will say it again and I think most GG's agree. If I am going to take 30-60 minutes out of my day to get ready, someone better dang well notice. Otherwise I will stay home (and this is one of the reasons GG's DON'T dress up, their SO doesn't notice ,,,so why bother?)
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-17-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: errors that made no sense
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    It's kind of a dichotomy; One one hand, I say I want to blend. Then I see myself and the outfits I choose - skirts above the knee (of course, when you have legs like mine they have little choice), lots of red, 4-inch heels, tight clothing - and I wonder just how much I really do want to blend. Now I don't do this for attention. My forms give me an A cup, and although I do wear the clothing mentioned above, I don't believe I look ****ty or anything. I'm going for classy and cute. So yes, there is a part of me that wants to be noticed. I put a lot of effort into this. I don't necessarily want to be seen as a woman, because then much of my preparation would be for nothing, almost.

So, I guess I do want to stand out, if only as a person who loves doing what I do.

Kathi

My personal signature style is one which stands out in that no matter if I'm wearing shorts or jeans, cropped pants or a dress, i am well put together.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I wore my really sexy skirts, tight jeans and tops the first few times out. And still do at the clubs. But I want to get attention when I'm there.

When I'm driving to/from the hotel or shoping/grabing a bite, I dress conservitivly. If I want to pass as a women, drawing attention to myself will NOT make it easier. I am slowly getting better and the "OMG! Look at that !" looks have been greatly reduced.

But I love the fact that I can put on a tight red sweater, a black mini and 6 inch calf boots and rock it better then most GG's.
    When a woman dresses like a man, it's ok. But when a man dresses like a woman, you think it's degrading. Because you think being a woman is degrading. -Madonna-

I dress in clothes I think are stylish or cute. If they are items which some people may think stand out, well they might be right about a couple of my skirts as I am Really tall.

Most of my outfits stand out because its really dressy. Great for parties or shopping.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah;2547369 #31
    If I didn't want to stand out and be seen, pretty, or admired, I would just wear what I wear everyday. Any person here can blend in, it isn't hard to do, loose baggy sweat pants, worn sneakers, loose baggy top (even a guy top). It isn't rocket surgery. You don't want people to notice you, dress the way you do daily [Not so's you'd notice it, Lorileah, i.e., if you're 6' 4" bare-footed]. If a TG wants to blend in, most clothes do just that. I wear 75-100 womens (meaning from the department that says "hey theses clothes are not for men") every day, only a couple people have said anything and that is usually "that looks nice". All this talk of "blending" is bull hockey (sorry Karren, that isn't like what you play...it involves pasture pucks). If you want to blend don't wear skirts! (or dresses). Look around, how many GG's are in skirts and dresses daily...and you know what people NOTICE when they are! They don't stay invisible. Fess up, when a TG says "Blend" they mean they want to look like a GG when she dresses up...the degree varies. I will say it again and I think most GG's agree. If I am going to take 30-60 minutes out of my day to get ready, someone better dang well notice [Amen!]. Otherwise I will stay home (and this is one of the reasons GG's DON'T dress up, their SO doesn't notice ,,,so why bother?)
    That about wraps it up for me, too, Lorileah. I'm still working on the "zi" (wife) (See Pic - that's the outfit I wore yesterday shopping with her for women's clothing at JC Penny's and Walmart) trying very, very hard to get her to loosen up on the makeup and wig department.

Lady Chaos has it right, tho, about the male head on the female body. For the time being, I too, have to rely on my legs to carry it off, but I must say that the bust "is" coming along nicely (B-cup and growing ).

BTW We both bought an arm load of women's clothes (on sale) and she wanted to order some more pants "for both of us" from a woman's catalog even this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now, now Lorileah !

I'm a GG , I wear dresses or skirts any day I don't work. It's so much simpler than jeans and sweats. When I lived in a hot climate , I didn't own pants.
    Just a brush to the hair , a touch of makeup, pull a dress over my head and out the door.

And I guess to answer my own question, I dress comfortable but nice,rayon, velvet, silk and cashmere .. but I do it for me and thou I feel good when someone notices me it's not my main objective.

Please don't be so hard on women [GGs ] today, . You never know what they are going thru at home or with loved ones.

Presh GG

not being hard on the GGs at all Presh. The point is "blending" isn't hard to do. When the majority of the TG's here say they want to blend they don't pick slacks and a tee shirt. They choose a skirt suit or a dress an average GG would wear to someplace besides the store or the gas station or any everyday activity. Go to a store on any given day, who grabs your attention (as far as a looking at GG's)? I herar heels, my head turns and so do the GG's who are shopping. I see a skirt, my head turns and so do the GG's. I very rarely turn to look at what a guy is wearing, do you? When you see a guy who really cares about what he has on you look but in a normal every day setting, that is rare.

Point is "blending". That would read no one notices. Not possible for 99% here. I might look OK but I am over 6 feet tall in heels, I will NEVER blend as a female. I do blend as a person who is un-noticable. Few notice my 1" wedge sandals but I have had two guys ask where I got them because they can't find guy's sandals that don't look like Frankenstein should wear them. NO one has noticed the shorts I have worn all summer zip backwards. Women have noticed my skinny jeans but they think they are men's. I must therefore blend. Am I trying to blend? No, I am just wearing clothes.

I understand your OP. And the answer to that is if I put on make-up, wig and heels and no one notices me I have wasted my time. Many GG's here will agree with that. My SO now wears heels almost all the time. She wears dresses and skirts about half the time. She never leaves her bedroom without make up. She gets noticed, a lot. My wife before she died wore a dress three times a year maybe, no one looked twice (and she was pretty). I, like you, see the value in throwing on a sun dress or skirt in the summer. Cool comfort. But I would not blend in

And I can tell you that I know a little about what GG's are going through. I am a guy (I don't like it but I am..meh) and I very rarely tell my SO still that she looks good when she goes out. She probably thinks "why bother" too. When we both dress up though we compliment each other.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-17-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: syntax I am blaming my keyboard ;)
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I don't go out, but if I did, I would dress to blend. I don't want to attract unwanted attention.

I try to dress "Situation Appropriate". I also have a range of looks, from "Guy at the office", to "Androgynous Male" to "Androgynous Female" to "Feminine but plain" to "Pretty" to Beautiful to Sexy. In Sexy, I do a really nice wig, full make-up, expensive breast forms, bra, corset, and shape-wear. I pick a blouse that is not too tight, and I don't reveal cleavage - but it's totally feminine. The skirt is short, with dark hose and 3 inch heels. I can stop traffic, but eat at a restaurant and not get read. I generally avoid bars that are associated with exclusively "conservative" crowds, such as Country western bars. I like to go to NA and AA dances, these are usually very safe, since I don't have to worry about rude drunks who don't want to take "No" for an answer.

In the NYC area, there are a number of gay and lesbian bars as well as bars which cater to "Alternative lifestyles", and there is generally a framework of safety to protect the clientele. I have found, over the years, that if a bar is friendly to transgendered people, and you simply ask if you need to wait in line, the bouncer will let you in right away. On the other hand, if they don't want you there, they will tell you to go to the back of the line, or not to waste your time.

Androgynous male is women's clothes, but without the wig or the bra. Today, I was wearing capri pants with beaded pockets, a spandex shirt that fit loosely, my natural hair was fluffed but not sprayed, and I had my earrings on. I had to use the restroom, so of course I had to use the men's. When I was about to leave, a man walked in, looked at me, looked at the door, looked at me, looked at the door, and looked at me again. I smiled, gave him a nod, and held the door open for him. As I was leaving, he apologized, just as I thanked him.

When you can go out, with no make-up, no wig, no bra, no forms, nothing but a clean and beardless face, and an outfit made of loose fitting women's clothes, and have the cashier saying thank you ma'am, you know that you can pass under almost any circumstances, or at least not make a scene.

An Saturday, I was out in short shorts, Sketchers with pink trim, and a loose fitting woman's tee shirt. I had no trouble with anybody. In fact, the only time I got "read" was when I would come out of the men's room. Women get upset when men, even transgendered men, use the ladies room, because there is already a line, waiting, and messes they don't want to deal with. They know that the men's room almost always has empty stalls. I've even gone to the men's room in full drag and, at most, I'll get a remark like "High Heels?" then "Nice Shoes!". I listen for the room to be empty, then step out and walk over to the women's door and move out from there.

If you want to be the "Belle of the Ball" though, there is no "hiding out". You will be scrutinized, and you will probably even be read. This is not the time to try and deny what you are. You are there to have fun, and so is everybody else. Get on the dance floor, find a group of women, and dance with them. They will often invite you in, and even ask you to join them. If you also want to dance with men, then let them ask you. That tap on the shoulder isn't a threat, it's an invitation, and you should be flattered by it. If he didn't know you were a guy, and figures it out, and turns away, go back to your circle of girls.

The most important thing is NOT to try and push a couple's situation for yourself. Let others generate it for you, and even if the guy or girl is not "your type", let it happen. It will give others the courage to come forward and initiate with you. I've gone to parties where I came in, got read, danced with my circle of women, and by the end of the night, had danced with a half dozen men and a dozen women. But that's because it was obvious that I preferred women.

I think the most important thing is to dress appropriate to your situation. Don't go to a picnic in heels and hose, and don't go to a charity fund raiser in a hooters T-Shirt and daisy dukes.

Blend. My goal is to do a long shop at Costco without anyone noticing anything. Someday it might happen.
    Paola

I dress to look trendy. Whether that stands out or not, is in the eye of the beholder. If my outfit, shoes, makeup and nails are well put together, I might stand out. I don't purposely wear revealing clothes. I guess I try to blend in. As far as accomplishing my goal, it has yet to be determined. But as I get better with makeup, I feel like I will get there.

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    I dress to blend, and not be the center of attention. At a club, I dress for a party ( but don't show off the family jewels). And my breast are only (my own) SMALL Bs.

Em
    Living with a heel in each world.

I dress as much as I can to fit into my surroundings and not be obvious.
    I like to wear skirts shopping and having lunch. I seem to blend but it is hard
    when most women (about 80-90%) wear pants shopping.
    I am finding more wearing dresses in the summer time.

as long im not mistaken to be arrested. yes I stand out a little bit..... But Im not as glam as I was back in my 20's , I miss that.... I may have to dumpster dive after a gaga show..

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I dress in what catches my eye,If I see something I like ill wear it,Im not a show off or anything like that,I mostly wear skirts but not too short these days,(unless at home ) and I just wear what feels like me.My wifes always on hand to tell me if im looking like mutton dressed as lamb

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Live it! Love it! BeckyAnderson's Avatar
    I dress as classy or as fashionable as I can for the venue. And since many GG's take less care in their appearance than I do I suppose you could say I would stand out.

My goal when I am out and about as "Leslie" is to dress in as age-appropriate and feminine a manner as the situation permits, and that usually means skirts, dresses, pantyhose, heels etc. I try not to overdress so as not to attract undue (and negative) attention, but at the same time, I aim to be put together just a bit better than most of the GG's around me. It's a fine line, but I think that I manage to pull it of most of the time.

Doing so serves two purposes for me:

1) I feel confident in the way I present as a female and,

2) I get admiring glances from GG's who seem to look past the fact that they might be "reading" me as a crossdresser, and become more focused on what I am wearing and how it all works together - irregardless of my true gender.

A few months ago while out at a mall, a youngish GG approached me and said that she hoped I didn't mind, but that she just had to tell me that she loved the outfit that I was wearing. When I thanked her for her compliment (after picking myself up off the floor - LOL!), she gave me a big grin and added that I looked "stunning". I don't know if she had "read" me and meant "stunning" for a crossdresser or as a GG, but either way, it was a great compliment, and as far as I was concerned - Mission Accomplished!

i am kinda an attention ***** so i guess i do it to stand out or get attention a little.. but for the most part i want to fit in and dress towards the weather. girls my age are wearing the same kinda stuff anyways
    Be Yourself