Thread: December 31st in the year 1875

December 31st in the year 1875

Mmmmm, I wonder what this young 'Lady' might have looked like swanning about the town on New Years Eve 1875. Makes for an interesting little read. The event took place in the fishing and coal exporting harbour town of Blyth in Northumberland UK.

Enjoy

Pippa
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, obviously she got read. But it's nice to know that crossdressing has been around for a very long time. I'll bet he'd have loved pantyhose.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    What is the source of that document? I'd like to do some research on it.

Quote Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
    What is the source of that document? I'd like to do some research on it.
    I have no idea which newspaper would have published this item. All I can tell you is that the scan records the publishing date as 2 January 1875. Blyth has a good library. Perhaps staff there might be willing to go through the archive for you given that the date is known. There is also a family history forum in the UK (RootsChat) which has an excellent section on Northumberland. Blyth features in a number of threads. They might be useful sources to try.

Pippa

PS Which gives a date for the event 31 Dec 1874, not 1875 as I said earlier. Must pay more attention!

Wow. She went out in 1875. Think about it. Human and Civil rights were way out, radical ideas. LGTB tolerance wasn’t even a concept. There were no police to a call if you got in trouble. If the "Man in Blue" did show up, you were better off with the mob. Even if there was someone to protect you from a group of thugs (or kids) the beating or harassment would be long over before you could even contact them.

Even after being read, with a group of kids following her, she continued on. Communities were smaller and much more tightly knit than today. Most likely this followed her for the rest of her days.

I will never who you are but you have my respect and I’ll tip a pint to you tonight.
    Last edited by Samantha W; 08-10-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: poor grammer
    When a woman dresses like a man, it's ok. But when a man dresses like a woman, you think it's degrading. Because you think being a woman is degrading. -Madonna-