Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you were restoring a car, to raise extra money would you stop buying clothes?

Gold Member
    With the economy as bad as it is; I would not restore the car.
    People have been tight with discretionary spending. Unless you might have a
    buyer for the Car, I would not take the gamble on all the expenses of restoring a car that will
    only become money pit.
    Rader

Ha! Am I GG? Let me check.........nope still there : ( thanks for the compliment though!
    I know enough about cars to not get taken to the cleaners but have never had any interest in getting greasy, yuck!
    I mentioned I needed an oil change, I was out of town and dint have my car with me, my BF was kind enough to take it in while I was away. Awwwww he such a sweetie!

I am not restoring my Saab, but keeping it alive and safe. The car is a 1990 spg. It had been my daily driver for over 12 years. With the cost of gas, insurance, and taxes I am far better off keeping this car on the road. It is paid for and a survivor. Plus I look good driving it! I am blessed or cursed with the ability and training to keep old things working - curtsy of being in aviation maintenance for 22 years. Red is such a hot color . As far as limiting clothes, and shoes NO.
    Last edited by Karinsamatha; 02-24-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added content.
    A prisoner in a kings disguise - Styx

Sadly, I parted with my 1957 Ford Fairlane last summer....a car that I owned for 11 years,it had a beautiful two tone blue and white paint job, a Thunderbird 312 engine and 4-bbl carb, dual glass-pack exhausts. It was very easy to repair. I replaced the drum brakes, and brake cylinder, spark plug wiring, added an electric fuel pump all on my own. I just simply do not own enough tools to do more. But since then, I had the radiator rebuilt, new bushings, new generator by someone else.

Nowadays, I'm saving up to buy a used sailboat that I can sail to Block Island from where I live, and waste money on other things on guitars like my new Gibson J160E , similar to John Lennon's guitar.

Bottom line is, I can waste money on only so many things. I prefer to buy dresses on sale ($29) , except for rare special occasions.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 02-24-2012 at 10:24 PM.

I would only spend time restoring something italian, red, and with 7 letters in in the name. 365GTB, 250GTO. or converting a 355 or 360 to the "CS" type... whay more money than i spend on clothes.

To answer more realistically- i've forgone purchasing other things to have money for clothes: Dillon or Hornady progressive reloading press, .357Sig barrel for HK USP .40S&W conversion, 5" barrel (as opposed to 4") for .40S&W- to further test the effect of barrel length on muzzle velocity of factory and various handloads. 10-12" mead telescope & CCD, (but it would not be very useful unless going 2 hours west to leave the light pollution). Flight time- 172 or 201.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley128 View Post
    If you were short of money would you sacrifice your clothing allowance to facilitate the restoration of your car?
    I've restored many. The car always wins over, BUTTTTT, I always had clothing and my s/o did too that just so happened to fit.

I have a closet full of clothes but generally wear the same set over and over. I've definitely cut down on shopping after having got my p-car. I'm not restoring it but I am doing some mods and upgrades.

Jaime

Sell the car, take the money and go shopping! Really, not into that much work, but I would have given up shopping for a new camera, I love shooting car shows, just to lazy to build one, and to poor to buy one.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley128 View Post
    If you were short of money would you sacrifice your clothing allowance to facilitate the restoration of your car?
    Not likely Beverly. I love my car, but it only sees the nice weather, which is not too often up here. I do need to get a picture of me enfemme with it though. Muscle cars need models to pose with even if they're not young and beautiful.

It would have to be 68 Camaro

I have to admit I've been straying over to craigslist lately looking for an old BSA.

I juggle with this too. I am restoring a vehicle for keeps though, not to sell. I just bought some original seats, so next is some heels for me, then some parts for my daily driver.. And so on.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Unless one is transitioning and/or living full time, it is not healthy mentally to ignore your male self and male interests completely.
    Otherwiswe, "she" is the one who gets are the nice things, etc and "he" gets nothing. It can be quite confusing and depressing for the non trasitioning male.

So, somewhat of a balance should be maintained to keep your "male self" happy and mentally fit.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 02-25-2012 at 04:50 PM.

i put money aside for the various projects and pretty things
    the projects are too many. 2 old Japanese motorcycles and a VW type 1 Deluxe with fabric sunroof
    also the musical instruments, drums, guitar & Bass. i am trying to put away a little money for everything so it all takes time.
    the price of a good wig & corset takes some saving, but sometime i find a cute pair of shoes or dress that i would honestly like to get. with the clothing i look for bargains.

For years I did body work, everything from lead to choping tops.I wound up with a roll away full of tools and a garage full of projects of my own that I never got around to.
    Today I have two le'baron converts a 92 and a 88 both I have worked on in le'feme mode and at a very modest buget inclueding the top repacement on both that I did my self as well. Id rather buy a complete outfitt from head to toe that i can wear for hours than put a load of money into something thats parked 22 hours a day.

But hobbies are expensive wether your driving or dressing

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    Unless one is transitioning and/or living full time, it is not healthy mentally to ignore your male self and male interests completely.
    No matter WHO or WHAT you are, it's not healthy to ignore your interests! There are plenty of girls at the dragstrip and plenty of guys at the mall!
    It's just being a minority but hey, that's nothing new

Right now, my only purchases are stockings. I have pretty much all the girl clothes I need. Sure, sometimes I see something I might like to have, but a wedding gown is pretty useless, it would be hard to get it cleaned, as well as fitted without outing myself. I'm pretty happy in my teen girl clothes. Which is why my old sports car is getting slowly better each month, and now I'm saving for a really expensive complete paint job. Candy turquoise. Mmmmmm. Pretty. With a saddle interior by Rob Budd.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I have a 70 vw in the garage, there are parts all over and its mells like paint. grease, and dust,
    love every second I am out there working on the bug. I have done body work in tights and a sports bra
    and ruined several skirts but would nevver sell my hobbies for a new set of cloths, there is always the
    thrift shop and summer yard sales. I want to thank all the GGs who love to buy then sell cheap on a
    summer yard sale. I have come home with a truck full of car parts and some of the best dresses in my
    closet. Just remember, dont weld in panty hose. Wonderwho

I buy the clothes to perform in drag to fund the race car... win-win ^.^ The Auto-x season will start soon. My nails match my Mustang and pretty sure I'm the only one in the group who can drift in heels.
    "Salene"

I need to find extra room in my garage...then I can restore that 37 Ford pickup at my leisure and as my budget permits!

Trackdays with motorcycles is expensive, I have looked at the closet and said I could have everything I need if I hadn't bought so much clothes, but I found I don't spend as much now that I have a pretty complete wardrobe.

girly girl
    I hate to even imagine the total in dollars associated with my girl addiction. However, the amount of money I've spent on old cars is even worse. Restoring almost any car is a bad investment but most of us don't do it to make money. It all depends on your situation of course, but I vote for restoring the car.

Tip: If you apply hand lotion before working on greasy things, the grease comes off your hands much easier when you are done working. Make sure to work it under your nails.

*Giggles* -While I'm here I just have to share a rather relevant picture. I took this photo for an online contest a few years ago. I got second place. Who-hoo!

I'm 22 years old and stay broke due to the clothing obsession and my project cars but I found a good way to balance the two, I get paid every two weeks one paycheck is for the clothes the next goes toward one of the three cars, either the 65 mustang drag car, the 88 mustang drift car, or the 1994 f150 rock crawler. So based on when you get paid just alternate spend the part of the paycheck you have to spare on one or the other, it keeps both things you love satisfied!