Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Army Duty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonixd View Post
    Thank you for your service as well.

Show me the regulation that would "hose" my career. Show me the battles who would do said hosing. And show me the Law that would have the rock hurled at my head.
    Please don't make assumptions where no fact exits.
    Really youngun? So how long have you been in the Army?

There are rules and regulations and then there is reality and what REALLY happens.
    As an example, there are countless rules and regulations against sexual harassment but the reality is that it happens every damned day.
    There are regulations protecting people from retaliation should they make complaints about that sort of thing but what is the reality? A woman who makes a sexual harassment complaint is almost certainly going to pay a price for making the complaint.
    If you think that you are not going to suffer consequences if you are caught by the army, you are not being honest with yourself.
    Also, there are many other posts here discussing it, so I am not going to rehash it all here, but being TG IS grounds for removal from the service and YOU are NOT protected by the new policy allowing gays to serve. They put US in a different category and still consider it to be a mental problem.
    Having said all that, it's your life youngun and your call . . .

Thank YOU for taking your turn on the wall!

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I was in Iraq 4 yrs ago as a senior NCO and retired 2 yrs ago. I can tell you that if you value your military career, and your diginity, forget about trying anything while deployed. Murphy is always gunning for you, and things happen when you are not expecting them. Even when you get warned of an inspection, people still get caught with contraband. Don't do it. You will have enough to worry about. BELIEVE ME!

Keep your but down, and don't drink the water. Unless it comes from a bottle.
    First off, thank you all for your service! I'm a writer working on a character who is a CD in the military, and was wondering about what an inspection is like while on deployment, specifically in Afghanistan. Would you be allowed to have a personal laptop in your living quarters? If so, could somebody check your internet browsing history as part of an inspection? For example, someone discovers that you were on CD sites, even if it was before you were actually deployed. Just wanted to know if this is possible, am trying to be accurate.

Thanks very much!

Cool. I like your bravery very much. I agree 100%. You are free to wear fabric shaped however you please. It is not your problem if someone has a problem with it. Your fighting for freedom. Good. Be Free

And. Thank you.

Sounds like the advice to heed protocal is from experience tho so be careful. In the end it is who we are that defines us more than what we do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bridgetta; 09-05-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redwriter View Post
    First off, thank you all for your service! I'm a writer working on a character who is a CD in the military, and was wondering about what an inspection is like while on deployment, specifically in Afghanistan. Would you be allowed to have a personal laptop in your living quarters? If so, could somebody check your internet browsing history as part of an inspection? For example, someone discovers that you were on CD sites, even if it was before you were actually deployed. Just wanted to know if this is possible, am trying to be accurate.

Thanks very much!
    Room inspections don't really happen as often as most people think, and almost never in a war zone. Not in the Navy, anyway. If you get a room inspection and you're out of AIT (we call it A-school in the navy), it's because someone tipped your command off that there's something illegal going on in there. They'll call it a 'health and welfare' inspection. And no, they absolutely can't check your browsing history during a random inspection. I wouldn't let them touch my computer, and I'd be well within my rights. That's personal property and they can't mess with it without your permission. Not that they would, though. Most inspections focus on "gear adrift" (shit that's not stowed properly), stinking-ass laundry that hasn't been done in months, and drugs/drug paraphernalia.
    "Who are they? Are they the half that we've lost - the H2 to our O, that have joined as water to make streams, seas, waterfalls, waves, storms?"
    - From "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Claire View Post
    Room inspections don't really happen as often as most people think, and almost never in a war zone. Not in the Navy, anyway. If you get a room inspection and you're out of AIT (we call it A-school in the navy), it's because someone tipped your command off that there's something illegal going on in there. They'll call it a 'health and welfare' inspection. And no, they absolutely can't check your browsing history during a random inspection. I wouldn't let them touch my computer, and I'd be well within my rights. That's personal property and they can't mess with it without your permission. Not that they would, though. Most inspections focus on "gear adrift" (shit that's not stowed properly), stinking-ass laundry that hasn't been done in months, and drugs/drug paraphernalia.
    Thank you Sophia. Very interesting. Didn't know that room inspections don't happen that often (in the Navy), and makes senses that a computer would be off limits since it's personal property. I imagine whoever finds "stinking-ass laundry" is not too happy to make that discovery!

[QUOTE=redwriter;2950090]First off, thank you all for your service! I'm a writer working on a character who is a CD in the military, and was wondering about what an inspection is like while on deployment, specifically in Afghanistan. Would you be allowed to have a personal laptop in your living quarters? If so, could somebody check your internet browsing history as part of an inspection? For example, someone discovers that you were on CD sites, even if it was before you were actually deployed. Just wanted to know if this is possible, am trying to be accurate.

While I was in the Air Force, we had an inspection of our barracks room every pay day. For the most part the commander came in, glanced around and if it was clean turned around and left. If something was out of order, then things could get interesting. They would check closets, drawers, boxes etc... Real pain in the ass! If you had a computer, they could only check it if they ad a warrant from the JAG and then the inspection was done in the presence of an MP. However, they could ask you for permission to check your computer and if you said no, and had access to classified ten they automatically had probable cause for a warrant. Then since they had cause for a warrant they pulled your security clearance untill AFOSI was convinced that you weren't a threat. By the time that happened they would already have you on a path to discharge. It just wasn't worth the risk if you wanted to have a career.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I wasn't deployed in Afghanistan but I was in Iraq. When I was there we lived in tents. The 1st sgt did regular inspections of the living areas but only for cleanliness. One time they did what was called a Health and Welfare inspection where they went through everything. Sometimes they do this with the soldiers outside the tent sometimes with the soldier there. When they did mine I was there and was asked to empty out my duffle bag in front of a senior NCO. Good thing I didn't have anything in it.
    Personal electronics such as laptops were okay and I never saw anyone asked to show their history. Of course back then we didn't have wireless internet and the only internet connection we had was through my units which was a hospital. Every clinic had a laptop with internet and everyone shared the computer. I stayed totally away from any CD or TG related while I was there. If you have any more questions get enough posts to PM and I would be more than happy to answer any questions.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I wonder where tonixd went to no recent replies.

I would NOT do any crossdressing while overseas..be careful!

Looking out for you,
    Jess
    Last edited by Jessicaa; 09-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I wonder where tonixd went to no recent replies.
    It appears this young Soldier was expecting a warm and fuzzy feeling that he did not get. I wish him success and I hope that he knows how to duck and run when the rocks start flying as TXKimberly so eloquently put it.
    Marilyn Monroe: I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.

Banned Read only
    in a fundamentalist Islamic country there are dangers in expressing the freedoms we enjoy here in the USA.

I remember being caught in an emergency and I had NO time to remove the polish from my hands but I managed to put on gloves. lucky it was over in a flash of a few minutes and I am still alive and safe today.

imagine if one of those fundamental Islamic caught you in pink panties or with your nails polished pink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_fundamentalism

Islamic fundamentalism (Arabic: usul, the "fundamentals") is the group of religious ideologies seen as advocating a return to the "fundamentals" of Islam: the Quran and the Sunnah. Definitions of Islamic fundamentalism vary. According to Christine L. Kettel, it is deemed problematic by those who suggest that Islamic belief requires all Muslims to be fundamentalists,[1] and by others as a term used by outsiders to describe perceived trends within Islam.[2] Exemplary figures of Islamic fundamentalism who are also termed Islamists are Sayyid Qutb, Ruhollah Khomeini, Abul Ala Mawdudi, and Israr Ahmad.[3] The 1979 Islamic Revolution in Iran is seen by Western scholars as a political success of Islamic fundamentalism. Economist Eli Berman argues that Radical Islam is a better term for many post-1920s movements starting with the Muslim Brotherhood, because these movements are seen to practice "unprecedented extremism", thus not qualifying as return to historic fundamentals.[4]

Sharia. While both Islamists and fundamentalists are committed to implementing Sharia law

Islamic fundamentalism's push for sharia and an Islamic State has come into conflict with conceptions of the secular, democratic state, such as the internationally supported Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Anthony J. Dennis notes that "Western and Islamic visions of the state, the individual and society are not only divergent, they are often totally at odds."[29] Among human rights[30] disputed by fundamentalist Muslims are:
    Freedom from religious police
    Equality issues between men and women[31]
    Separation of religion and state[32]
    Freedom of speech[33]
    Freedom of religion[34] – Muslims who leave Islam, "should be executed" after meeting certain requirements – i.e. presence of a Khalifah to propagate the punishment[35][36][37][38][39][40] while the right of non-Muslims to convert to Islam is celebrated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia_law

Sharia (Arabic: شريعة‎ šarīʿah, IPA: [ʃaˈriːʕa], "legislation"; sp. shariah, sharīʿah;[1] also قانون إسلامي qānūn ʾIslāmī) is the moral code and religious law of Islam. Sharia deals with many topics addressed by secular law, including crime, politics, and economics, as well as personal matters such as sexual intercourse, hygiene, diet, prayer, and fasting. Though interpretations of sharia vary between cultures, in its strictest definition it is considered the infallible law of God—as opposed to the human interpretation of the laws (fiqh).

There are two primary sources of sharia law: the precepts set forth in the Quran, and the example set by the Islamic prophet Muhammad in the Sunnah. Where it has official status, sharia is interpreted by Islamic judges (qadis) with varying responsibilities for the religious leaders (imams). For questions not directly addressed in the primary sources, they extend the application of sharia through consensus of the religious scholars (ulama) thought to embody the consensus of the Muslim Community (ijma). Islamic jurisprudence will also sometimes incorporate analogies from the Quran and Sunnah through qiyas, though Shia jurists prefer reasoning ('aql) to analogy.

Bizarre Video: London-Based Cleric Claims ‘Well-Known Anal Disease’ Causes Homosexuality Addiction in Men
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/biza...iction-in-men/

Shiite Cleric Yasser Habib
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFHPKAPDOck
    Last edited by luscious; 09-10-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    He needs to rethink a bit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    I wasn't deployed in Afghanistan but I was in Iraq. When I was there we lived in tents. The 1st sgt did regular inspections of the living areas but only for cleanliness. One time they did what was called a Health and Welfare inspection where they went through everything. Sometimes they do this with the soldiers outside the tent sometimes with the soldier there. When they did mine I was there and was asked to empty out my duffle bag in front of a senior NCO. Good thing I didn't have anything in it.
    Personal electronics such as laptops were okay and I never saw anyone asked to show their history. Of course back then we didn't have wireless internet and the only internet connection we had was through my units which was a hospital. Every clinic had a laptop with internet and everyone shared the computer. I stayed totally away from any CD or TG related while I was there. If you have any more questions get enough posts to PM and I would be more than happy to answer any questions.
    Thank you StaceyJane! Ok, didn't know that general inspections would be for cleanliness. Yes, makes sense that personal computers were ok. From what I've read on this thread, it seems that dressing in a war zone would be very risky and not recommended for many reasons. I also get the impression that if someone were deployed in Europe or somewhere less dangerous, than it might be an option, with discretion. I did have a question about your last sentence, "If you have any more questions get enough posts to PM..." I'm not sure what you mean by "get enough posts to PM.."
    One other question: Are there any books/other reading material you know of that would be good for learning about the system of promotion in the military (specifically the Army)? With security clearances, the Dept. of State's website has a lot of info, and I imagine it's hard to come by much other written info on them.

[QUOTE=Cam;2952788]
    Quote Originally Posted by redwriter View Post

While I was in the Air Force, we had an inspection of our barracks room every pay day. For the most part the commander came in, glanced around and if it was clean turned around and left. If something was out of order, then things could get interesting. They would check closets, drawers, boxes etc... Real pain in the ass! If you had a computer, they could only check it if they ad a warrant from the JAG and then the inspection was done in the presence of an MP. However, they could ask you for permission to check your computer and if you said no, and had access to classified ten they automatically had probable cause for a warrant. Then since they had cause for a warrant they pulled your security clearance untill AFOSI was convinced that you weren't a threat. By the time that happened they would already have you on a path to discharge. It just wasn't worth the risk if you wanted to have a career.
    Thank you, Cam! I think I hit the wrong button to respond, so I apologize if this goes through twice. Interesting - didn't realize daily inspections would be for cleanliness (as StaceyJane also mentioned) and to make sure everything was more or less in order. Thanks for explaining about the case of someone who has access to classified - they say no to a computer search history, then there would be cause for a warrant and could pull your security clearance.

Banned Read only
    I think if one of those Islamist caught you crossdressing you would be a target for death,all kidding aside.

I know that this will be discussed before you get deployed.

they will not point anyone out but will tell everyone.

crossdressing is dangerous in an islamic country