Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which Noun Describes You?

Silver Member
    I am definitely and I can even call myself it now, a cross dresser, for years I hated having to even think of a name to describe what I am but now I am a cross dresser, I don't mind the word transvestite, I just prefer cross dresser

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    A Transvestite is considered in most countries to be a person who wears the clothing of the opposite sex primarily for sexual reasons! I am a man who wears feminine clothing, but not for sexual reasons! Therefore, I am a crossdresser and nothing more! But labels don't mean much anyway. As some one else on this thread said, who cares!! I am ME, and how I dress is my business!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Much prefer the word crossdresser, partly because it just sounds nicer and less clinical but also because the word transvestite carries a much greater stigma than crossdresser for some reason. The first time I used the word transvestite to describe myself she looked really grossed out even though she had known I was a crossdresser for months. Even though she knew they meant the same thing that particular word seemed abhorrent to her.
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    A Transvestite is considered in most countries to be a person who wears the clothing of the opposite sex primarily for sexual reasons! I am a man who wears feminine clothing, but not for sexual reasons! Therefore, I am a crossdresser and nothing more! But labels don't mean much anyway. As some one else on this thread said, who cares!! I am ME, and how I dress is my business!!
    Sissystephanie hon you nailed it with your answer yes some people in society and a few on here seem to not know the difference between the dreaded 'T' word and cross-dresser.

Thanks for clearing that up,

Hugs Victoria xoxo

OK, I'm flip flopping my answer. Transvestite is fine because it's mostly sexual for me. That's what I am. That's the word my uninformed ex-wife uses lol.

The Girl in a blue dress. Jennifer B's Avatar
    I'd agree with sissystephanie about people perceiving the word Transvestite to have an implied sexual bias, even though it shouldn't be that way. Certainly in the UK that's true and also the word Trany is usually used here in a negative manner, which is a shame.

Personally I'm good with either Transvestite or Crossdresser. I'd love to be referred to as a T-Girl because for some reason in my mind, rightly or wrongly that implies someone who has really nailed it.

I think if anyone asks me if I'm a Crossdresser though, I'm going to steal from Layla Michelle and refer to myself as a CDing MILF! because that is bloody fantastic. I love it.

gynephile.

Transvestite

I think transvestite sounds far grander than crossdresser....It has gravitas...Can see why some wouldn't want to be labelled as a transvestite though...Personally I'm a transvestic fetishist (only discovered the term last year, but fits me perfectly). I've used crossdresser/crossdressing, it's simpler to explain, but it doesn't describe me completely.
    C

Crossdressing is FUN! And I prefer being called that. Transvestite is far to clinical for my liking.

I really don't care for either term, but I suppose I would take "transvestite" over "cross dresser." "Cross dresser" makes it seem like I am overstepping a rigid boundary, like I am wearing clothes that I should not be wearing. My preferred term is "transgender," or at least "gender-fluid."
    Peace and love, - Christy

Silver Member
    I prefer "transvestite", personally; never cared for or felt the need for "polite" terms for perfectly legitimate words in general. But, either is fine, not going to offend me either way.

Though I am technically "transgendered" in the broadest definition, I never really felt it applied to me personally, and TV was more accurate.

("Transvestite" was coined by Magnus Hirschfeld in the early 20th century, not Harry Benjamin.)

Much prefer crossdresser, but really, it doesn't matter what you call me as long as it's not late for dinner
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

[SIZE="2"]Call me what you like.....just please, don't call me "a man in a dress"[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

Lingerie and Lace Lover! FrancineBrice's Avatar
    I am a Cross Dresser, since I do enjoy dressing feminine for my own pleasure, not interested in passing as a female. I am into the clothing, nor make up and wigs. I do enjoy spending quality with others that also share common interests!
    Life can be very short! We only have one life to live and why not live you life doing the things that you enjoy the most! Just Do It!

i am perfectly fine with transgendered...
    paula

Just my two cents, but for whatever reason I've always had this perception:
    A crossdresser is one who dresses up for his own pleasure, usually in the privacy of his home.
    A Transvestite is one who ventures out and mingles with the public.

Don't really know where I got those definitions from, and as wrong as they may be, they're the ones that are stuck in my head.
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

I like "occasional crossdresser" OCD! Obsessive compulsive disorder!?

It's easy to say that it's the same thing, but it's not. There are differences, semantic, historical, etc. At the end, each one chooses one label. I prefer transvestite than crossdresser. Because crossdressing is like being involved in being a girl. Transvestite is like being 'committed' to be a girl. It´s more sexy, I think.

Lingerie and Lace Lover! FrancineBrice's Avatar
    I truly dislike most labels and I have use both terms, Cross Dresser and Transvestite, as I have traveled on my journey through my life. If I had to choose the "correct: term, it would be a Transvestite! A Transvestite is a person who enjoys wearing the clothes of the opposite sex and I do enjoy doing that as often as I can. Some dictionaries add the words “for sexual pleasure”, but this is not always true because many Cross Dressers just feel comfortable, rather than sexually aroused, when they dress in clothing of the other sex. I do enjoy the excitement and the pleasure, as I dress feminine and some times it can be for sexual pleasures also. Some Transvestites often feel the need, not just to dress, but to act as a member of the opposite gender and sometimes, I also feel the need to do so, simply because I enjoy dressing feminine. As others have stated it is not what your called that is important, it is how you feel. And I do enjoy dressing feminine. I would also agree that the term Tranny or Cross Dresser may seem as a kinder word , but I do not mind what people call me. I know that I am not passable as a female and I am not a female trapped in a male body. I do not enjoy wearing a wigs or adding make up. I just love and enjoy the excitement of dressing feminine and you can say what you like about me!
    Life can be very short! We only have one life to live and why not live you life doing the things that you enjoy the most! Just Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Erica2Sweet View Post
    Again, as Bob Newhart would say,"STOP IT!"...

I would describe myself as happy, lucky, loved, content, wordy... These aren't nouns, I know, but I'm not OK with others limiting my self-expression...

...and when someone refers to me as "gurl" it makes my fangs pop out... That is not how you spell "girl"...
    I don't think "gurl" is so bad since you are not a "girl". To each there own.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    WOW....so much since I last posted in this thread. I was being politically correct in my last post, but hey...

I'm sitting here in a hotel room having just transformed to Tina. I may not have the anatomy for it, but mentally right now I'm as close to a girl as I can get.

Hence, transvestite, T-girl, M2F transgendered, gurl....or just girl. I guess I just don't care. Parts of me fit all of those words, depending upon who is defining them! And yes, I crossdress, by definition!