Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrink a Gut

Aspiring Member
    Borderline diabetic, pre-diabetic, not so diabetic - The best way to settle this is by taking an A1C test, if you haven't already done so. This is a simple non-fasting blood test to show your average glucose level over the past three months. There are health centers that will do the test without a doctor's visit, cash only, results within a few days. Simple and efficient. I started out at 7.4% which is diabetic, type 2, then went on increased exercise and threw out sugar, chocolate chip cookies, pies-a-la-mode, and all that stuff which thought I could not do without. Dropped the hot dogs, bacon, processed meats and such. I find that a 3oz hamburger satisfies me as much as a 1/2pounder used to do. I'm totally used to fat free milk by now. I keep a loose diary of what I eat and I have lost some 25 lbs within one year, most around the middle. And I am definitely a senior.

Half my shopping time now is spent reading the nutrition labels, and avoiding the promo hype on the front of the package. No need for a corset here

Did I mention I feel better, and look better?

Ineke
    Last edited by Ineke Vashon; 07-29-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling correction

I'm not sure my gut is the problem. One of the joys (?) of summer is you get to see other peoples real body shapes. I noticed a lot of mid 60s even mid 50s GGs have guts that stick out as far as their boobs, just like me. The thing I don't have is any hips, my waist is the widest part of my body. Maybe some hip and bum pads would help or a pregame of butt building calisthenics.
    Sometimes it not what you have but where you have it, or don't that matters.

hugs rita
    Dressing is not a choice.

Its a passion.

Doesn't running help with this a lot?
    I've been trying to eat healthier too.

Get a running partner if you can too that way you won't be all alone while running

I'm not sure about running, but I ride my bicycle almost everywhere and a ten mile bike run isn't hardly even a warm up run anymore.

I've been trying to eat healthier too. I also try to grow most of my own vegetables and I eat a lot of fish and try to buy organic when ever possible.

Crunches, laps and lean cuisine : )

Smile

you do not need to eat less. just better.
    think of your dinner plate cut into slices of pie.
    less than one fifth would be lean meat.
    eat your colors aka vegetables. two fifths of the plate.
    eat whole rice, or other unprocessed starches.

the more processed the food, the farther away from you it should be.

NO sodas not even diet. water first, then teas. milk (2%).
    start reading the labels cut out sugars and salt, as much as you can.
    if you can not read the word it is bad for your body.
    if the word has more than three silables is is to be avoided.

then get a great pair of walking shoes.
    take up swimming ---laps--- best exercise one can do.
    maybe start riding a bicycle 60 miles (flat to easy hills) a day two - three times a week.
    the gole is to work your hart and lungs at 70% of max for up to three hours.
    remember to stretch first, and talk to your Dr.

this is not a diet plan. it is a life plan.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Gee whiz Loni, not enough hours in the day to do what you prescribe! A 60 mile bike ride....that's 4 hrs or so, give or take (unless your Lance Armstrong!). 3 hours of exercise in a day (or did you mean per week?) - how many people have that much time, or energy?

I'm in fairly good shape ( esp for my age); when I walk I go 5 miles or so; now biking 60-90 mins a day.

No sodas? That's rather unrealistic.....though I do agree with your overall eating strategies...sadly, most of us do not have the willpower.

You can do 60 miles in 2 1/2 to three hours depending on how hard you hit it and of course traffic. I haven't drank a soda in so many years that I wouldn't even know what one tastes like. Every once in a while I'll drink a Gator Aid or Power Aid, but I much prefer water.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristy2 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I've been thinking about investing in a corset.
    Seriously, in addition to the corset, give a shot to losing some weight. For your fem appearance and health (abdominal fat can lead to vascular and metabolic problems).

Quote Originally Posted by donnatracey View Post
    No sodas? That's rather unrealistic.....
    Actually, sodas are very harmful. A can of coke (in Canada... US ingredients differ a bit) has 45g of sugar. That's three tablespoons of sugar... about twice the sugar in an average chocolate bar.

Sugar is deadly. It gives you empty calories and makes you prone to diabetes. Honestly, give up soda. I think you'll find drinking water instead of soda is much easier than changing what you eat, and you'll feel better too.

To answer the OP's question: My wife and I have started exercising more; we go for a one-hour walk together about 4-5 times/week and I find I feel much better. I've also cut back on the chocolate *sigh* and invested in a waist cincher. I'm luck in that my belly is reasonably manageable... and I intend to keep it that way!

Smile

yes as for the bike ride i meant only a couple times a week even one ride a week will do your body good. and sixty miles it not all that much i did say on the flat. but back when i was on the bike (pedal kind) i did one day a week just for that and in the hills 50 - 70 miles.

but one must adjust food intake, types of food, and exercise to loose weight keep it off and improve there health.
    not as in crash "diet" but a life long plan. so think in terms you will live within.
    talk to your Dr.

there is no fast way to loose weight, it took time to put it on so it will take time to burn it off.
    a real corset will scrunch your body to a "fit" but it has a price.
    two really as a real corset cost at least a bill $$.
    the sexy ones are only for show on a cute body they do not squeeze you in.

and yes i wish i had will power also. i must drop 40 pounds.

pizza last night. gater to wash it down.
    soda is only liquid sugar with chems the body can not work with so the body makes "bad" fat.
    bad fat = no stored energy. just blubber.
    most peoples lives will improve by walking (push your self get your hart rate up) a 5 mile walk 3 times a week around where you live hills are a plus.
    cut down on sugars. like only one soda a week not six a day.
    drink half a gallon + of water a day (over the course of the whole day) your skin will love your for that alone.

Try boiled skinless chicken, good beef, lots of veggies, no extra carbs like chips, pizza, beer,no breads or at least very little.NO processed foods, no sodas, lots of water and exercise, run, bike walk, lift weight, Zumba, any kind of cardio. And the weight will fall off. No fads no pills just stick to it for 30 days and be amazed!

Strange thing is that I am only about 180 lbs at 5'10", but this darn balloon gut makes me look like 200 plus. Very annoying. Annie, I with you on the foods. I rarely ever eat things like chips and pizza only once in a while and most processed foods taste nasty to me. Also rarely ever drink any kind of alcohol anymore.