Thread: Petticoats

Petticoats

Remember when girls wore petticoats?

Seemed they had to wear 3-4 different ones to make the poodle skirts stand out. All in different colors that would just show under the hem of the skirts. They have gone out of style, except for square dancers. I don't own any now, but maybe some day they'll make a come back.

I bought one while in high school (early '60's). After the last class of the day; skipped getting on the school bus and walked on downtown to Mode O Day (big women's clothing store in town). Must have cost me $3-4 for the pink one I bought. Skipping the school bus, meant I had to walk the 2-3 miles home. Along the way, stopped at a service station bathroom and put it on under my pants. Wore it all the way home. My idea was to have it to wear, when my folks were out of the house. But the thing was just so bulky there was no where to hide it in my room.

Ended up, I gave it to my mom as a present. Don't think she ever wore it, but I did, and no longer had to try hiding it from her.

So does anyone here wear petticoats now?
    [SIZE="3"]
    *** Barbie Lanai ***
    [/SIZE]

Heck, I remember before Elvis. Less than two years to social security checks. Can't say what the store clerk or my mom thought. I probably made up some transparent story only a hi school kid would have thought believible.
    [SIZE="3"]
    *** Barbie Lanai ***
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by barbie lanai
    Sure do! They're great, because you can wear them under French maid dresses, under "Little Girl" fantasy dresses, and under square dance dresses like you mentioned. Same thing with pettipants! The only trouble is, you have to hit or miss sometimes in deciding whether a 40-yard one is enough for one kind of dress, but another might need a 60-yard one.

I don't know about stores at the mall ever having them these days, but on the Internet, between the square dance suppliers, the CD/fantasy outfit makers, and E-Bay, they're no problem to find!

I have a bridal petticoat -- obviously to wear under the two bridal gowns I own -- and two tea-length petticoats. While the bridal petticoat is very full and floor-length, the two tea-length pettis are not really full... though one is a little fuller than the other, neither are ridiculously pouffy. All of my pettis are acetate taffeta on the inside and outside, with a layer of crinoline in between -- I love the feel of the material sliding against my nylon-covered legs! I wear them under my collection of bridesmaid/prom dresses (very impractical, I know, but I love formal fashions)... They also provide a wonderful silhouette under some of my full-skirted dresses -- but alas, I only wear them around the house, when I want to feel like a '50s housewife. My mother grew up wearing all of those delicious full skirted, petticoated fashions in the '50s, so I may have gotten her love of pettis from her telling me about them or showing me pics. I wore my first formal gown at 13 -- a frilly pink Loralie Originals ballgown (bought second-hand) with a full skirt that was poufed out by a crinoline -- and I was hooked ever since. In my avatar pic I'm wearing a strapless tea-length prom dress with a built-in crinoline, rather than a separate petticoat slip. The crinoline was rather itchy because it was not lined like my petti slips are.
    "Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by barbie lanai
    Remember when girls wore petticoats?
    Only one I have is the short very full kind for under a French maid costume. If petticoats are your thing check out this site...http://www.petticoatdreams.co.uk/4598/index.html

Glenda2

Recently Frequent Visitre Sweet Virginia's Avatar
    Yes, I remember the rock and roll girls in England (when I was very young),and I remember girls of my age wearing party outfits with layers of petticoats. Particularly remember one girl coming to school in petticoats and a wide swishing skirt, very unusual for the teachers to allow such a thing, maybe it was her birthday. All the other girls were admiring and envious and so (secretly) was I.

ATB,Angie xxx

Too bulky to store in your bedroom, but not too bulky to wear under your pants?

Quote Originally Posted by TracyDeluxe
    Too bulky to store in your bedroom, but not too bulky to wear under your pants?
    Well the petticoat, all bunched up, did make a bulge all the way round under my pants, but I figured no one would see me since I lived out in the country. Did bump into a couple kids from school, but either they didn't notice or they were too kind to say anything about the fat butt I had.
    [SIZE="3"]
    *** Barbie Lanai ***
    [/SIZE]

i own 3 (hence the name). I wasn't around when they were popular (70s child here) but always thought the petticoat/full skirt look was sexy...

remember wearing some of my sister's, what a thrill
    do I win a toaster at 100th post?
    hugs Bobbi

Silver Member
    I actually own a black satin and lace petticoat--full lenqth--which I wear under a red satin gown to give the skirt fullness

petticoats they brig back memeries my mom would always buy petticoats and some extemly girly dresses

In Safeway yesterday I saw a lady in a squaredance outfit with big petticoats. WOW! Sooooo sexy. I had a hard time taking my eyes off her dress.

Petticoats, it is definitely one of my favorite things.
    Robyn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Happy in Satin Nighties Rachel Newark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda2
    Only one I have is the short very full kind for under a French maid costume. If petticoats are your thing check out this site...http://www.petticoatdreams.co.uk/4598/index.html

Glenda2
    Glenda2 is right about the petticoats on this site, VERY nice, but am I alone in thinking that whoever designed the site needs a spanking? Or is it just me who cannot read the hyperlinks?

Hugs

Rachel Newark
    They're not womans clothes, they're mine. I have receipts !

love the look!

but don't have the clothes to wear over them...my favs are square dance types that stick out, but brush the thighs as you move...feels delicious against silky sheer hose!

Fun question

i love to put on a petticoat at night with a matching cami. I have several, in all colors and materials.
    I also like to wear them to fum events and parties we go to. I usually get lots of wonderful comments. Most always from GG's. They think it's cute.
    Last summwe we were going to the "fat bottom revue" a lesbian vaudville type dance troup. They were wonderful. I wore my pink petticoat and it was especailly nice having one of the dancers give me a lap dance!
    The best part though, was walking to the club past two men sitting on a bench both smiled as we walked by and then one stopped smilling and his jaw dropped and he said to the other man" that was a man" and the other said "so what"
    You got to love San Francisco!!!
    Love to all
    Rikki
    "Every desire of your body is holy. Did you hear what I said? Every desire of your body is holy"
    Hafiz "The Gift" Translations by Daniel Ladinsky

I am wearing my wedding gown now I have a crinoline underneath but no panties Love the feeling
    Shauna

I got this one in the late 60's from a neighbor girl that helped me get dressed up in a gray poodle skirt and a pink cashmere sweater for an opposits dance when in highschool. I hid the skirt sweater and peticote in the same place in my moms house before I joined the Navy. The peticote was there after my parents died but I never did find the poodle skirt or sweater. If you have never worn cashmere, you are in for a treat.
    Krysten
    Last edited by Krystenw; 05-13-2006 at 11:38 PM.

CD from ME

http://www.pettipond.com/

I am not trying to promote this site but it does cater to crossdressers and also to women that like to wear petticoats. They update regularly and I look in from time to time on the site. Take a look you might be pleasantly surprised.

JMO

just love the look so much!

i've always loved petticoats, the way they feel and the way they look and am glad that this years skirts are going back to the full, long and multi-tiered look for spring! Also love seeing the thong disappear and being replaced by boyshort styles *at least here in calif.*...
    all fashion goes around and comes around. I predict full petticoats will come back as outerware by the younger gals in the near future, as they just look so cute and the material feels so nice!