Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those with long hair...

Yes long hair is great. I'm 52 and had very long hair as a teenager. For some reason very few guys in those days ,in my nick of the woods ,rarely if ever wore a pony tail . It was too " femme" HaHaHa. When I had long hair my desire to wear dresses had not yet been realized. It was just leotards and tights for me.

So I would say to a young cd , don't cut your hair.
    My wife doesn't really like my cding but she loves my long hair . I have a nice pony tail and I wear my hair the same as male or female.
    I work in construction and I wish someone would say I look girly, I would take it as a compliment.

Petrina cd

Long Hair

Quote Originally Posted by Anima-87-388
    How much does your long hair matter to you?

I know there are alot of different feelings people have about a guy with long hair, here are a few things i've heard about my hair over the past few years;

makes me look sexy, hot etc.
    tells people I must be a musician (which I am)
    makes me look like a hippie, punk teen or similar

It's never really caused me any problems, I've worn it up to school with a jaw clip and no one really seems to care. I know I want to keep my hair long from here till death (i'm 19) but I got to wondering if it's just as easy as that?

I get really upset when someone tells me I have to cut my hair before I can get a job even though I doubt someone can not hire you based only on the fact that you have long hair (unless it's a safety precaution)

I don't want to give up my long hair for anyone and so I shan't. it's much too much a part of me. So here I am wondering if i'm making a big deal out of nothing, the worst thing I EVER get is silly teasing and nothing more. Am I just making a big deal out of it?

P.S. Believe me, having your own hair is better than ANY wig. I can jump, skip, spin, lie down, stick my head out the window and even take a bath with it and I don't eeeever have to worry about it falling off or coming out of place
    My input would be: keep ur long hair now u never know in time to come...getting older... Just make ur self presentable in reguards for work..

Quote Originally Posted by Petrina CD
    Yes long hair is great. I'm 52 and had very long hair as a teenager. For some reason very few guys in those days ,in my nick of the woods ,rarely if ever wore a pony tail . It was too " femme" HaHaHa. When I had long hair my desire to wear dresses had not yet been realized. It was just leotards and tights for me.

So I would say to a young cd , don't cut your hair.
    My wife doesn't really like my cding but she loves my long hair . I have a nice pony tail and I wear my hair the same as male or female.
    I work in construction and I wish someone would say I look girly, I would take it as a compliment.

Petrina cd
    Well good for u ... i have nothing agenst long hair..geesh

Hi Anima

Like you I prefer my hair to be long. I love it that way. Even at the age of 46 I wear it down on my shoulders and letting it grow more.

Unfortunately for us there is the age old argument about men and long hair to deal with. Most of that argument comes from the Christian community and therefore from the Bible. Everyone is very fond of quoting the verse that says that long hair is a "disgrace" to a man. The same people who take a stand on that verse utterly fail to read the very next verse which says that long hair is "glory" to a woman. I, personally have never heard anyone tell a woman that she has to grow her hair long. Sad as it is, we are still fighting the same hypocrisy.

As for tha employment aspect, I am sure that there were many jobs that I did not get because my hair was "too long" Most of them were the better paying jobs too. The companies are much more concerned about their image than about an employee's personal preferences. Yes, it is discrimnation but just try to prove it. Good luck in that endeaver! But there hope. A lot of employers are "loosening up" about it. As time goes by I see more and more "long hairs" in respectible jobs. Actually, I think that most employers now would rather hire "long hairs" than some of the young people who are doing Goth/Lolita but that is just my opinion.

On a more personal note, I am a disabled Veteran and do not have to work anymore so I simply refuse to comply with any body else's arbitrary standards about my hair. If they don't like it, they don't have to look at me.

If you are willing to deal with a prejudiced world then, by all means, keep your hair long.

As a general rule of thumb. people will not say/do anything to you. In fact, I have gotten more compliments than insults about my hair.

Ok, enough rambling. I hope I said something that helps.