Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topless laws

Banned Read only

Topless laws

So we know men can walk just about anywhere shirtless. And some states allow women to go topless, but not many. I've always wondered what the law was if a man with breast implants was to walk around without a shirt. Is it the same as if he didn't have breasts? Or is he treated like women are?

Just a curiosity.

My opinion is that the laws were written with gender as a defining characteristic. Since a man with breast implants is still a man, I would say it's probably not a problem. I would venture to say that it would pass muster in a court if it were ever to come to that. Just my .02 worth..

Charlotte

Laurana, I have a recollection of a news story from Florida where women were arrested for being topless on a beach and the next day two preop TSs went to the same beach took off there tops, the police went to arrest them, when they explained they had other equipment, the police had to back off.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    I honestly think the laws are stupid. And it's guys that ruin it. If women were allowed to go wherever topless guys would turn into 12 year olds. They'd giggle, point, take pictures, make rude comments, try to cop a feel etc.

It's also those who get offended by the naked body. Or those who think it's their religious obligation to be offended. For some reason they are "outraged" by womens nipples. They claim it's to "protect the children", but it's more the fact that they don't want to explain what breasts are.

Free the Nipple!

Ten years ago last month, a U. Of Guelph, Ontario, student took her right to go topless to the supreme court. She won. Whoopee. Here in Canada, anyone can go topless. Nobody does.
    What an incredible waste of our courts time.
    Women- keep your tops on.
    Men- unless you are constanly compaired to Brad Pitt- keep your damn shirts on !!!

I would think it would have a lot to do with if people perceived them as a male or as a female. If they looked like a man with breasts, I don't think there would be any issue. Some guys do have gynecomastia. However, someone who has breasts implants probably also looks very feminine as other things would come into play i.e. feminine hair, feminine features caused by hormone therapy, feminine eyebrows, lack of facial hair or stubble, etc. So if someone appeared to be a genetic female then they would most likely at least get hassled by the cops

Seems similar to why can't men wear dresses, interesting line of thought though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I just read that women were allowed to walk the streets of NYC topless. Not sure I would want to do that if I were a real gg. Being pinched comes to mind...lots of times.

Good legal question. It would be a public decency law. If the breasts appeared female, I am sure the law would require cover IF the law was in place. It isn't a gender law (that would very illegal in the US...because we cannot discriminate based on gender). Public decency and morality are harder to define. Thus the law would either have to allow everyone or no one. If and when these laws are challenged the ruling will not be who owns them but if the community finds them against decency
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I don't know, but I'd love to see the reactions on Houston.

to be honest in my town over here in the uk, no one would bat a eyelid, .

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    ...Here in Canada, anyone can go topless. Nobody does....
    Well, it may be legal by the laws of man, but the laws of heat transfer still prohibit it. Frostbite hurts!

I've never felt particularly comfortable going topless even in full male mode, so I suppose that I won't be freeing the girls anytime soon.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

It is legal for a woman to go topless at Topsail Beach North Carolina. However it is very rare to see it.

Just read an article about this on mashable. A Trans woman is writing articles and posting pics on facebook as she progresses on HRT. She is daring them to censor her posts.

Technically yes we can go topless. Many cities and municipalities will still cite you for indecency if you are presenting female. Personally I never go topless in public. It's just not right and I'm not comfortable with being topless anyway. So my opinion is,if your breasts look female, just abide by the laws for women, unless you want to push an issue.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    While visiting France years ago, we wanted to visit St. Tropez. The then famous nude beach. I was in my 20's.

We went wearing only swim trunks. But, after hanging around for 1/2 hour? We weren't comfortable being the only "clothed" beach folks. And, took them off!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Right or wrong why push the subject and cause trouble for yourself?
    Attorney fees and court costs aren't cheap.
    I wish guys would keep their shirts on.

Really? If you want to be and/or act like a woman, there are a set of norms that a woman has to follow in most areas of the US. You can't just flip flop back to being a man when it suits you when it comes to public nudity.

I don't think a transman with a full "set of upper chest area" still intact, can go around topless and claim that he (she) is a man and get away with it.

Last edited by char GG; 10-05-2015 at 05:37 AM. Reason: pronouns

A gentle searcher. Chriscrossed's Avatar
    Being nude is all about context in the nordic countries. We don't get naked in the office but at our summer houses it's common to go swimming nude among friends of both genders after a sauna if it strikes our fancy. Fishing nude is also a thing here

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    Ten years ago last month, a U. Of Guelph, Ontario, student took her right to go topless to the supreme court. She won. Whoopee. Here in Canada, anyone can go topless. Nobody does.
    What an incredible waste of our courts time.
    Women- keep your tops on.
    Men- unless you are constanly compaired to Brad Pitt- keep your damn shirts on !!!
    No not all of Canada. Only in Ontario. Remember we are a big country here!

Reality Check
    It's a legal question. We need a lawyer to answer it. Note though, what you can wear at a beach or swimming pool and what you can wear in town could be very different.

Pardon me Andreanna. I did not know the topless law was provincial. It brings up a much bigger question. Who cares? We've always had topless beaches. The question of someone walking down the street topless is well...ridiculous. This year at city hall they had a topless celebration. Less than a dozen women showed up.

After I turned thirtyish my breasts started growing to quite a large size. After that I never felt like I wanted to take my shirt off out in public. Then about ten years ago I thought to heck with it all and began taking my shirt off when pursuing certain activities. Now once again my breasts are still big but closer to normal man size. What I'm getting at is my chest was bigger than about ten different women that I know. If they decided to go bra and shirtless I'm sure the authorities would have cited them. I guess I just don't plain 'get it'.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I have seen guys on the beach who's moobs are rather big. I'm prone to think, put a bra on, so you don't hurt yourself. If these guys can do it, then any girl should be allowed also. It is just like the whole breast feeding thing, if you don't like it...then don't look!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Perfectly legal here in N. Carolina.

Every Aug for the last 5 years the city of Asheville has had go topless day.

In a 1970 court case, the N.C. Court of Appeals ruled that female breasts were not “private parts” and therefore could not be considered indecent. So I assume that would apply to men with breast too.