Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are most Dresses sold at Thrift stores going to Women or Cds

Silver Member
    A fellow shopper sent this link to me. It is about "Too Cheap Blondes" Several other cities have women doing the same thing. They claimed they bought $2000 worth of clothes for about $50. They also found glass ware.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GRThLMKB6oLY7h

I've purchased clothes at thrift stores. Bought a slip (new) and I was checking out the SA said most men wouldn't buy a slip. I told her I had several. We talked for a few minutes no problems, I have found that you can find equally good things for sale for less at retail stores if you do sales. I purchased some tops that were 17.99 that I purchased for 3.79. Which is cheaper than Good Will offered theirs.

As a frequent thrift store shopper I find almost all women in the women's section. There have been times that women outnumbered men in the men's section!

Other CDs and I are definitely competing with GGs in 4 out of 5 of my local stores daily for size 12-14AU but are well outnumbered.
    We are also just as important to the industry as all others, and are most likely better mannered than some!!!

I will also add that I have even just recently been going through a sportswear rack with a pleasant younger gay couple, luckily I was a smaller size. So we are competing with more than GGs.

Then there was the time when I was looking at the purses when this hot chick wanted to look at the same one in a locked glass cabinet, Oooh!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Aspiring Member
    I have my set of thrift stores that I always go and visit. Especially when I am out of town on business. I begin looking on the Internet for the nearest thrift stores to my hotel before I leave. Since I am out of town, I am not very concern with other seeing a man looking through women's dresses or heels. Especially when I am out in San Francisco area, I shop the thrift stores AND Forever 21, Charlotte Russe in drab. My suitcase ends up being filled to the brim with all my latest finds. I always get a thrill with finding a sexy LBD or bridesmaid gown that I know cost hundreds of dollars for $5.00. Even better when the price tag color is the color for 50% off. Glad there are women donating their dresses and heels for me to give them a second life.

Six yards ago I purged everything to a thrift store. 50 pair of heels and boots ,countless dresses, skirts, tops, belts purses etc I’m sure one of you girls felt they had hit the motherload. ( I wear a size 13 shoe. ) if only I could turn back time. The replacement is costly but fun. So keep on shopping you will never know what you might find.

I buy almost all of my clothes at thrift stores. I have seen other CDs there buying stuff, but it's almost all women in the women's clothing section.

My current wardrobe is mostly from 3 nearby thrift stores. Have only one issue shopping at one store. But have found occasional Bargains. I do watch for rude shoppers, and wait for them to move from the rack that I'm after. One of my fav pairs of Italian pumps came from GW. Came home today with a Susan Graver Sweater-coat that doesent have any issues/unworn look to it. Prob a $100 or more item on the shopping channel where it came from . Having purged expensive items over the yrs--building my wardrobe for less this time. Wish I still had some of the items that I donated..Costs to replace them. Toni G..

We have two charity shops in our small town, Salvation Army and Vinnie's (presumably St Vincent's). Both have a good range of skirts and blouses and welcome anyone. I buy most of my outer garments here, especially skirts, and they treat me as a customer without any comment. I found that the teen girl's section is a good place to look for short skirts for summer or wearing with tights.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwen M View Post
    Six yards ago I purged everything to a thrift store. 50 pair of heels and boots ,countless dresses, skirts, tops, belts purses etc I’m sure one of you girls felt they had hit the motherload. ( I wear a size 13 shoe. ) if only I could turn back time. The replacement is costly but fun. So keep on shopping you will never know what you might find.
    For fun Can you tell us what town you purged in ?

I am the only male I see in our local thrift store. But I have found some great stuff there!

I buy all my dresses at GW. I can't spend real money on dresses, when i can get them for $1. But I see a lot of women looking at dresses while i am also looking at dresses. I pay them no attention and they do the same for me. I don't kn ow what i'd do without thrift stores. I recall once looking at the dress rack while another guy was sampling them. I didn't asked him his intentions.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

Don’t know if I’m allowed to give a location of my purge but let’s say it is the home of the Steelers

@ Shely: "sampling them"???? What does that mean? (she asks with much trepidation)
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbiegirl View Post
    I love all the pretty dresses you find at thrift stores but have never heard of a GG I know buying a dress other than a costume from a thrift store. ..........
    That's because you and your friends are relatively well off. The women (and men) shopping at thrift stores are people who can't afford to waltz into Macys and buy two or three outfits every week or two. The next time you go to the thrift store (think about the name "thrift store"), stop and look around at the customers. Look at how they are dressed. Look at their shoes and jewelry.

As far as shopping for a dress for your wife, nobody is believing that and if they don't ask, you won't have a chance to tell them anyway. If you're buying dresses, you need to own it.
    Krisi

Not all who shop in thrift stores are low earners. Why pay £70 or more for a new pair of jeans when you can get them already worn in for a fraction of that in a charity shop? I buy most of my casual clothes that way. So do my wife and children. I'm not going to mention figures but our income is comfortably above average. And it helps with the whole re-use, recycle thing.
    Julia

I shop at thrift stores all the time with my wife and have to compete with GG's in the dress racks all the time. We were in the VOA store in the university district last weekend and there were college age GG's shopping for dresses. So I would say we are not the majority buyer of dresses in the thrift stores.

Silver Member
    Let me assure you that many of the shoppers at thrift stores are not destitute. Some are professional shoppers buying furniture or whatever. Nor are all the thrift stores necessarily the cheapest to buy things at. I've bought tops at department stores on sale cheaper than GW had them for sale. My mother used to do it for fun after she retired. I'd do it more often but being retired has kept me so busy that I don't have the time.