Thread: So I took a gamble Friday night........

So I took a gamble Friday night........

My wife and I went up to the mall Friday night to look for a birthday present for me.

Originally we were going to look for a new top and whatever else caught my eye but we decided to take a look at the store that sells Prom Dresses/formal gowns. I had mentioned to her before that I'd really like to get one but I was hesitant because the store doesn't offer returns (and I'm not comfortable enough to try one on in the store).

So we look through the racks and I spot a silky full length dark purple, almost burgundy (plum maybe?) open back halter-style in my size. We had been in there before but never saw anything that would fit and since we're almost the same size, she tried it on and thought it would work.

What to do? What to do? If we get it and take it home and it doesn't fit, we're out $130 bucks. So we walk around and check a few more stores while I rack my brain wondering if it's throwing money away or not.

You know what? Screw it, I'm going to give it a shot. And how about we throw in a pair of black full length gloves to go with it? (The gloves are open-ended with a tie around the middle finger - hot!)

The verdict? Stunning! It fit's perfectly and the length is perfect too!

So last night I finally got to wear everything - the wig, makeup, strappy heels, long fingernails, jewelry, the gloves and my new dress. All I have to say is that if you've never had a chance to wear a formal gown, you really need to. With some of the outfits I have, I end up feeling like a guy wearing a skirt with an ill-fitting top. With this dress, I have never felt so feminine and classy. It gave me a confidence boost I didn't think was possible. I must have walked around the house for hours just taking in how it felt as I walked, how it looked in the light and how good it felt to the touch, heels clicking the entire time. To bad I can't find a picture of it online, it's beautiful. I can hardly wait to get back into it!

I took a gamble and won. Not bad for my first dress huh? First of many I hope!

Congratulations!

I have a couple of formal outfits my wife helped me pick out, but nothing one would consider a prom or bridesmaid type gown. Maybe once I lose 50 lbs.
    DonnaT

Congrats! I should pick up something on those lines. Most of my longer dresses are corset dresses. Can't really just wear them everywhere. Especially with summer coming.

Congratulations. Now I can't wait to see the pics.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Look for the sales!

I've got a stunning, mettalic, sheath halter type semi-formal dress that I love. It was priced at $140 but got it for $35 at Sears in the after Christmas sales in Jan/Feb. always go looking just after Christmas and just after Prom time for bargains.

You're right Stiletto, there's nothing so feminine feeling as a party or prom dress. I just don't know if I'll ever be able to wear it any place. Might have to consider one of the TG events just to be able to wear this one out to a ball!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24
    I've got a stunning, mettalic, sheath halter type semi-formal dress that I love. It was priced at $140 but got it for $35 at Sears in the after Christmas sales in Jan/Feb. always go looking just after Christmas and just after Prom time for bargains.

You're right Stiletto, there's nothing so feminine feeling as a party or prom dress. I just don't know if I'll ever be able to wear it any place. Might have to consider one of the TG events just to be able to wear this one out to a ball!
    That is a beautiful dress, Sally. It looks great on you.

Gennee
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

What Me Worry
    Stiletto I can't wait to see the pics I'll bet they will be stunning. Sally you look very beautiful.

Sadly I won't be posting any pictures any time soon. My wife is very accepting but the times I've mentioned wanting to take some pics to see myself from a different perspective she say's she'll do it but nothing ever comes of it. That's fine with me, when she's ready to help out she will. I'm very lucky she supports my "hobby" and don't want to step over any lines that might force her away.

Haley Pink~

Hmmm?

I've wanted a wonderful brides maids gown for a long time now. Can you tell me the name of the shop you did buy at?

Thanks!
    Haley P. Kemp

Banned Read only

Formal?

I don't have a gown, but I do have a sort of fu ankle length black sequined evening skirt that goes nicely with a variety of tops. I keep it for special events! And it does feel so good swirling when I move in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto
    Sadly I won't be posting any pictures any time soon. My wife is very accepting but the times I've mentioned wanting to take some pics to see myself from a different perspective she say's she'll do it but nothing ever comes of it. That's fine with me, when she's ready to help out she will. I'm very lucky she supports my "hobby" and don't want to step over any lines that might force her away.
    Good decision Stiletto. You are amonbg the very fortunate of us who; a) have an SO who knows, b) an SO who is supportive; and, most unique, c) an SO who particpates. In the overall scheme of things, pics are a small item. Be patient, they will probably come.

Congrats !! but I'm wondering.. hmm where will I wear those dresses to??
    Maybe we should have like a CD get togethers in major cities with DJs, wines (fruit punch for minors :P) and etc and just get crankin!!
    [SIZE=2]SUZI[/SIZE]

Thanks gennee and Laurie Ann!

Thanks everyone!

Sally, that dress is beautiful and you wear it very well!

HaleyPink, the store was called Glory. They don't have a website so I'm thinking they might be local only (DC Area).

I have a friend who used to work at a bridal/formal wear shop here in Columbus, and she told me once in a while they would have a male customer who wanted to try on and/or buy a gown of some sort, and the way they handled it was to have the customer come in at a special appointment time so he could feel comfortable trying on items. Something to consider in the future if you don't want to gamble again.

Yes Pics PLEASE ! ! ! ! !