Thread: What can I take on the plane?

What can I take on the plane?

I'm flying to Austin in a couple of weeks. I've searched the threads and am satisfied that flying en femme is something I want to do because it sounds fun and I definitely want to be en femme when my friend picks me up at the destination airport. I plan to contact the airport in advance and give them a heads up. But there are some issues some of you with recent experience might be good enough to help me with:
    1. I will leave my home airport in guy mode so as to avoid getting clocked by someone I know. I'll have a layover in Dallas, and I want to change there and board the second leg of the flight as Sherri. Should I check in with someone at the Dallas airport before I change, and if so, who exactly?
    2. Am I correct in assuming that since I will be entering the restroom as a guy, I should use the men's room for the transformation? Or should I change clothes in the men's room and do my makeup in the ladies room? (*See comment.)
    3. I'm confused about whether I can wear my silicone breastforms onto the plane, and if not, is it okay for them to be in my carry-on bag? Are they considered gels? Will they leak or explode?
    4. Can I pack my makeup kit/bag in my carryon bag? I don't think there is any way my makeup and toiletries are going to fit in a single baggie, even using 3 oz. sizes.
    And now one final question:
    Can one of you ladies who is particularly good with makeup meet me at the Dallas airport and give me a makeover?
    Last edited by sherri; 04-27-2007 at 01:46 AM.

I can't come to Dallas, Sorry, but if you can make it to NC. I'll do a free make over. LOL

OK,

I pretty much travel for a living and can offer some advice - not all of which your gonna like. I've always wanted to do what you are describing but have decided for myself it is not a good idea.

You can cary a very small amount of liquids/gells/powders with you, and I do mean a small amount. Nothing like the amount it would require for me to put my face on. So very limited in the amount of makeup you can carry past the security point. All of these things that you DO try to carry past security must be put in a clear plastic bag, removed from your carry on, and xrayed seperatly. If your shy about what you are, this could be a bit embarassing.
    Breast forms? I would be concerned that this might be considered one of the gels I mentioned above and I'd be willing to bet that if anyone wants to get techinical with you, ONE form probably exceeds the amount of liquids/gels/powders you are allowed to carry on.

I would love to hear how your trip works out so please post or PM when your done!

Kim

Yea Stacie is not my real
    I say give it a try and let us know. You probably will run into some problems. Best to just check it all in and wait untill you arrive untill you dress.

I travel on a regular basis for work too. On every trip I have my women's clothing with me. I never check my bag and thankfully have not had a problem with this. You are allowed one - one quart clear bag of liquids and gels which can't be larger than 3oz each. I just started traveling with perfume in my clear bag and there's barely enough room for it with all of my guy necessities. My 'lady' deodorant doesn't have to be in this bag.

I haven't traveled with my breastforms and don't think I ever will for two reasons. The first is that they would probably show on the x-ray and secondly because if I were to check a bag, I wouldn't want a security guy pawing through my bag and coming across them.

For what it's worth.

Patti

I really appreciate the feedback, including cocopuff's offer!

First, let me clarify that I don't mind at all that the airline or the security people or even the othe passengers know that I'm a crossdresser. I'm perfectly willing to be completely upfront about that. What I don't want, however, is to be embarrassed in front of a bunch of people by a big security scene, or be denied a boarding pass, or be forced to leave some things behind. If that might be the case, I might have to think about driving rather than flying, which means I miss the adventure of flying in a skirt.

It seems like the biggest issue is the breastforms, which I'm not willing to make the trip without. I have done some more digging this morning and came across the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines, which can be viewed at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm. If you scroll down to the "Makeup and Personal Items" list, the twelfth item listed is "Gel-filled bras and similar prosthetics - Gel-filled bras may be worn through security screening and aboard aircraft", specifying that they can be either worn or checked onto the plane. It seems to me that "Gel-filled bras and similar prosthetics" would include breastforms. Isn't that what you would assume?

Assuming I don't run into some over-zealous nazi who doesn't know the regulations -- and I understand that's always a possibility -- any of us should be able to sail through the checkpoint, breasts intact. Right? Or does the practical reality differ from the technical point of law?

Okay, now about the makeup ...

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    You can cary a very small amount of liquids/gells/powders with you, and I do mean a small amount. Nothing like the amount it would require for me to put my face on.
    I do respect your opinion, Kimberly, because you're so sharp and you fly so often, and I don't wish to appear argumentative. But I have to wonder, what on earth do GGs do about makeup when they're on overnight trips? Surely they don't go without makeup the whole trip?!? And surely they don't buy new makeup at their destination and then throw it away before flying home? There simply must be a practical solution.

BTW, I was kind of surprised by the TSA's list of acceptable items. There were numerous items on the list that I would have assumed were no-nos.

Banned Read only
    Dear Sherri,
    I have a quick idea for that may or may not work. I think that you should print out the TSA's guidlines and have them handy just incase you do run into a over-zealous nazi and let him or her try to argue with it. Second I think that it might be best to go to the first airport as man and while there go into CD mode, b/c i think that you might run into some trouble if you done it inbetween flights. Now it's just an idea and I wish you the best of luck at it and hope that you are sucessfull.
    Good luck and enjoy yourself and have fun.
    Mya

Should be Ok

[SIZE="3"]Hi Sherri.. I just wanted to give my I used to work at the airport and worked hand in hand with many of the gate agents at AA; in fact it's been a month since I left there. I often saw many TG gals flying off the different places all over the world. Some I could tell and others blended in well. I never saw any of the AA agents make a seen, even though we knew that the person or persons weren't GG( the voice). Maybe something was said after the person boarded, but TSA was never called or notified. They are real pro's... Also there are family restrooms that you could use to change at DFW. Well no promises, but it should go well. Good Luck [/SIZE]

Smile travelling on airplanes

Sherry, I fly back and forth from tenn to florida and wear my gel breast and stockings and some light makeup but since my photo id shows me as a man I dont wear one of my wigs but my mascara and light lipstick can be seen if I get too close to others but it doesnt bother me. No one says anything about my ladies slacks which some dont have rear pockets but I have sat with ladies and they see mascara right away but never say a word. I pack skirts and dresses and wear little makeup and wear stud earrings. Change when you get there and have fun. raye

Silver Member
    Dear Sherri,

The rules are quite clear. All toiletries must be in a one quart plastic bag. You are allowed no more than 3 ounces each. Your local drug store and supermarket will sell 3 ounce containers of all you need, from deoderant to moisterizer to toothpaste. Yes, if you want your own special brand, you must buy it when you get there and throw it away when you return. (Or ship it back) (or check it). This rule refers only to carry on baggage. The plastic bag must be on top and easily accessable by the inspector. There is no arguing with them either, unless you want to be forcibly removed. Anything in a container larger than that will be confiscated, ie, you can't have 2 ounces of toothpaste in a 6 ounce tube, or 1 ounce of shampoo in a 6 ounce bottle.

Now, about traveling "dressed", you should just be as up front as you need to be. You could call ahead, but I don't think many people do, and how would you know who you would get to talk to? The inspector who is on duty will have the final say. Just do it, I would imagine. They are not allowed to humiliate you. No one will arrest you unless you make a scene, they MIGHT say you can't take your forms, but I REALLY doubt it. GGs travel with enhanced breasts ALL the time. How about a GG with a mastectomy? It just can't be illegal. Just don't try to "fool" or "trick" anyone. A simple statement of, "I'm a crossdresser.", should sufice. Maybe wearing a wig would be a bad idea. I dunno. As long as your ID is valid and clear I can't imagine why you would have any trouble. There is no law that specifies what kind of clothes you have to wear. I think I would wear the forms rather than pack them. Also, you could take foam or fiberfill forms and not worry about the gel rule at all.

Well, read all the other advice here too. I haven't tried to travel with forms as I no longer use them at all, but I have traveled with the toiletry rule and I know they are serious about sizes. You will see quite a pile of siezed toiletries as you go through the line. And remember, they want them in a one quart bag. Good luck, dear, I am sure you will be fine. Just be honest and upfront.

Lovies,
    Stephenie

Sherri, like others have said check the TSA web site. From my experience they are very very strict on the liquids and jells being in a 1 qt clear bag and no size larger that 3oz i believe. And it will not do any good to hide it in your bag. Coming back from Philly last week I forgot I had some nail polish in my backpack. Their scanning machine picked it up and I needed a 1qt bag to put it in and needed to go back out and get one. I just told them to throw it. A gal standing next to me said, "that is a shame, it was such a pretty color". My understanding of forms, enhancers, jell or water bras is that it is ok if they are worn through security but can not be in a carry on. And almost all of your makeup except powers from my understanding much be in your 1qt sealable bag. But I even seen some bags with the powder in them.

Good luck. I would think it may easier to just start out with everything on if that is what you really want to do. Let us know what you did and how it went.

KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

Traveling with breast forms

I have travel recently for the first time with breast forms. I never even thought of them as a gel product. Anyway, I flew in and out of Oakland airport and never had a problem with security and my forms.
    "Every desire of your body is holy. Did you hear what I said? Every desire of your body is holy"
    Hafiz "The Gift" Translations by Daniel Ladinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Mya Summers View Post
    Dear Sherri,
    I have a quick idea for that may or may not work. I think that you should print out the TSA's guidlines and have them handy ... Second I think that it might be best to go to the first airport as man and while there go into CD mode
    Hi Mya. Yep, I printed out the guidelines as soon as I found them.
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyS View Post
    And it will not do any good to hide it in your bag ... I would think it may easier to just start out with everything on
    No way would I try to hide anything! Nor do I wish to try to fool anyone. I'm fine with having all my cards on the table.

As for appearing en femme at my local airport and boarding the plane, that would be my first choice, but it's a dicey proposition. I have rarely flown out of this airport that I didn't see someone I know at the airport, and there is apt to be someone I know on the plane. With many of these acquaintances, I wouldn't care if they knew about Sherri, but I don't want word getting around to people I do care about. Thanks so much for your good wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by NatieBe View Post
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]I used to work at the airport ... I often saw many TG gals flying off the different places all over the world ... never saw any of the AA agents make a seen ... Also there are family restrooms that you could use to change at DFW.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    Hi NatieBe. Your observations resemble those Jeni (who worked for TSA) made in this thread -
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...light=airlines

The whole makeup-in-the-bathroom thing is going to be awkward no matter which one I use. I squirm at the idea of standing at the mirror for 45 minutes as people come and go and wash their hands right there beside me. "Hi there, don't mind me, I'm just transforming myself into a woman. Could you please not splash water on my makeup?" Plus, I really don't need an audience when I'm trying to put my lashes on. I'm thinking of finding a small mirror I can hang in one of the stalls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikkicn View Post
    I have travel recently for the first time with breast forms. I never even thought of them as a gel product. Anyway, I flew in and out of Oakland airport and never had a problem with security and my forms.
    Rikkicn, were your breastforms made of silicone?
    Last edited by sherri; 04-27-2007 at 08:31 PM.

I'm not trying to get this thread more attention, but a couple of you who were kind enough to offer comments asked me to report on the trip. Out of respect for your interest and helpfulness, I feel I should let you know the trip didn't happen. The guy who invited me was to be traveling to Austin on business, but his junket was cancelled. It is possible we may reschedule the trip this fall.

In my preparations I did learn enough, however, to know that flying en femme is feasible and something I definitely want to do when the opportunity arises. FYI, the conclusions I came to about the logistics are:
    • If I decide to depart from my home airport in drab (which will probably be the case), I can carry my breastforms, a small amount of makeup and my outfit through security and onto the plane in a small carryon bag.
    • The bulk of my makeup, toiletries and wardrobe will be packed in a larger suitcase that I will check onto the flight. That avoids the quantity limitations applied to carryons.
    • There is no legal reason why I can't change at the layover airport and board the plane for the second leg of the flight en femme. Naturally, I will have proper identification and will make no effort to conceal the fact that I am a crossdresser.
    • I will use a men's or unisex restroom to change. To avoid unwanted attention and hogging the bathroom mirror for half an hour, I will do my makeup with a small mirror in one of the stalls.
    Thanks again for your extremely helpful advice. I would love to hear about any flying experiences y'all have.

xoxo
    Sherri

PS -- I still have to research renting a car at my destination should I need one. I'll let y'all know what I find out.