Thread: alternative identification

alternative identification

OK ladies, so I'm sure this has come up here before, but what do you do about identification (especially those of you who aren't full time or transitioning)? My SO and I have recently been trying to figure this out when we go out (it's only been a few times now) and we end up either paying for everything with cash or swapping credit cards. To get around that, I just ordered "authorized user" credit cards for our other selves, but then it dawned on me that some places still ask for id. What's a gurl to do? If this topic has been covered ad nauseum already, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Debbie

I just use "his" card and sign his name or my SO uses hers, I have never had any problem and if I did I would ask to see a manager on duty and quietly explain my transgender status

Lora

All I want is a world somewhere, a place to wear pretty underwear
    A dress, some makeup, hose and heels
    OH wouldn't it be loverly

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"---Helen Keller

All I can tell you is that official ID, such as drivers licence and state Id's are just that, official. To attempt to obtain them in another name is a violation of the law. It maybe even a violation to use a credit card, obtained with a fraudulent name. It's much easier just to go with your issued identification. I have no problems using my credit cards, while dressed.

I just pay for everything with my regular credit card. I'm not out to anyone but my spouse, but nosy sales clerks don't bother me. Besides, most places, you swipe the card yourself these days. I can't imagine I would do it any differently dressed.
    Lotsa Hugs,

--Pam

When dressed, I use my credit card with my male name on it. In the past years, I have been asked for photo id twice. Both times, showed my drivers license with my male photo on it. Gave the clerk a big smile. All was fine.

Jodi

I just use my driver's license. If they look at me funny I usually say "Looks just like me doesn't it?"

I use my credit and debit cards with my male name. Once when I was at Penney's en femme, I used my JC Penney charge card to pay for a dress. The cashier noticed my male name on the card and asked if I had my own (thinking that I was using someone else's). I told her that was my card and showed her my drivers license which has a picture of me with a full beard. By this time she was really confused and that's when I told her that I was a guy. All the other clerks could tell I was a guy but she didn't have a clue.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Obviously the best scenario would be to have an androgynous male name like Leslie or Robin so that your credit card wouldn't look suspicious.

I've just used cash when I've gone out and bought things en femme.

Honestly, for an evening out you should be able to withdraw enough cash for that. It's not like you're dressing up to go buy a houseboat.

But swapping credit cards doesn't sound bad and in the event that you get asked for ID you can explain that you're CD.

Here in Florida, You can have a Florida ID in addition to your driver ID so I got Fla ID with my female picture on it.
    It still has all my male info, but I haven't had any issues using it.
    I've been asked for an ID when paying by credit card, going to a club, when I travelled by air, and I had no problems whatsoever.
    Recently, I applied for a Khol's credit card and I gave the cashier my Fla ID when she asked for it.
    Again, no problems.

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Hi Mo

we just use the regular card no law says you hve to have alternate id

I chose my femme name specifically to get around this; Kay is my initial, so if I ever needed to pay with my debit card, there it is. It all got screwed up when my latest chip & pin cards started arriving. The bank had stuck "Mr" in front ot my name! Ah well, I like my femme name anyway.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]"You can have my stilletoes when you can prise them from my cold, dead feet"

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I use cash or pay at the pump for gas. The down side is when your not out to family you will have to explain card charges. If you are out use your card and your ID. As stated you can in some states have a State ID and drivers license.

The best reply I heard to this situation came from a friend. We were both crossdresed and shopping at Macys. My friend wanted to use her Macys credit card, but since it hadn't been used in a while the register asked for a driver's license. My friend's license has her male and photo, of course.

So, as she reached for her license, she leaned in to the cashier and said in a lowered voice, "Now, you know that my photograph won't look exactly like me." The cashier really didn't care.

I use my male CC and male ID if needed all the time while enfemme and have had no problems. I have had a few surprised looks from SA's that had not taken a good look at me yet. LOL
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

I've never had any problems or really any weird looks while using my credit or debit cards with my male name. When asked for and ID, I simply pull out my male drivers' license and respond, "It was a bad hair day!" It has not become a problem yet. I've often thought it would be more comfortable if my credit cards and drivers' license could be more androgenous. I've thought of only using my first two initials for my nane on the credit cards, ie J.M. Doe. And additionally wearing as androgenous hair style and possibly a minimal touch of makeup when having my license photo snapped. This way, your ID is relatively non gender explicit, except for those that would look close enough to see the gender notation on the license (most don't look that close). They might just consider you a "Girly Boy".

I never have a problem using my normal credit cards. Most of the time when they do not ask for ID they just say Thank you Mrs. X.

I just love it when they think I am using my husbands credit card.

Richelle

The only legal ways to have more than one name

That I know of is a pen name, stage name etc.

Script writers and actors have to register a unique name. So they will have to change it if their real name is taken.

Some who change their names like getting married, keep the old ID for future use mail checks etc. I do not know if it is legal to do this, I doubt it.

I am not sure if you can get a ID with pen or stage names. Anyone know? What if the publisher or sent you a check in your pen name?

In california you can get a duplicate id and you just go down to the DMV and have your picture taken en femme, the info is still the same male stuff, but at least the pic matches. Carol