Thread: Another small step

Platinum Member

Another small step

Well, its the day after Christmas, and there are some great sales out there. Since my wife had to work, I planned to get out and take advantage. But first, I'd scheduled an eye exam. I'd originally intended to go in drab, as I always had in the past, but decided today that I didn't want to waste a moment dressed in guy clothes, so I went en femme to my 9:30 appointment.

I checked in and took a seat along with three other patients - two males, other female. I wasn't particularly interested in their reaction, so I can't honestly say if any of the other patients took notice of me. The front desk staff was entirely courteous and professional - and treated me with the same level of courtesy as I've experienced in the past.

The Doctor was new, which was a bit of a disappointment, because I liked the provider I've seen in recent years, but he was very friendly, very courteous and took time to talk about the typical issues people experience as they age...not that it applies to me now, but you know, for future reference! Anyway, came away with new contacts, a new eyeglass prescription and another minor milestone.

Next - I'm due for an annual check up with my primary care doctor. I guess its time that I went there fully en femme too!

And I got a couple of cute sweaters, both magenta, at Avenue, several gold and silver necklaces, matching ear rings and two bracelets at Avenue...all 60% off or more, and I bought two cute ribbed, turtle neck sweaters (an olive green and rose) at Coldwater Creek...both 50% off.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 12-26-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: final thoughts

Thank you for sharing your experience darlin.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Hi Kim, not a small step, a significant step. Good for you girl.

Hug from your friend Suzy.

Have a great new year girl.

Your already out in public why not add that one to your bucket list. Youll find them just as courteous. Way ti go girl.
    Renee

Good for you Kim, I am not that far advanced yet but out of convenience I can see it happening some day.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I absolutely dread getting an eye exam, because I know it will cost me a couple of hundred dollars! I'm at the age where one eye is developing a cataract and it is changeing weekly, it seems! Good for you for enjoying yourself while you take care of business.

Kim, I agree with Suzy, this was not a small step. It was a pretty significant step. If you really think of it as a small step, maybe how you feel is a reflection of just how comfortable you are becoming being out and about as yourself. But I'll still go with it's a big step. As a side note, I love ribbed turtlenecks, so, of course, I think that was a great shopping choice on your part. I must have close to 10 and still don't have every color I want.

Wendy

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustWendy View Post
    ... As a side note, I love ribbed turtlenecks, so, of course, I think that was a great shopping choice on your part. I must have close to 10 and still don't have every color I want. Wendy
    I have a similar affection for turtlenecks. My collection isn't quite as big as yours, but may soon be. I wish it were cooler here - I can only wear these for a few months during what passes for winter in Houston!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen60 View Post
    I absolutely dread getting an eye exam, because I know it will cost me a couple of hundred dollars! I'm at the age where one eye is developing a cataract and it is changeing weekly, it seems! Good for you for enjoying yourself while you take care of business.
    I have a family history of glaucoma and macular degeneration (dry type) so I take vision care pretty seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Good for you Kim, I am not that far advanced yet but out of convenience I can see it happening some day.
    I don't know if I'm advanced, Bev...but I agree on the matter of convenience. I increasingly dislike going back to male mode enough to push the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by MsRenee View Post
    Your already out in public why not add that one to your bucket list. Youll find them just as courteous. Way ti go girl.
    Renee
    What happens when the list if complete!?! Maybe I can just add a few more!

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    Hi Kim, not a small step, a significant step....
    I do tend to minimize...it felt significant, and got me thinking about the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by ArleneRaquel View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience darlin.
    You're welcome, of course! And I wish all of you a happy 2013, with significant steps of your own to experience and enjoy!

I had a very similar experience at the opticians' about three years ago. They were totally nonchalant about how I was dressed, and the whole thing was much easier than I worried about. One small snag was that I had made the appointment as Diane, but when I got there, I realized that they needed the official record to be in "his" name because that's how the insurance company knows me. I kind of jokingly told the receptionist to keep it between ourselves and, indeed, when she called me back to the exam room, she said "Diane" regardless of what was written on the form. One small step ...

- Diane

That's great Kim, but you've got a lot more nerve than I do. Maybe someday, maybe never. That's the doctors. Now the shopping, that's a different story. I offered to meet my wife after her chiroprator treatment today to take advantage of some sales, but it was storming pretty well when I called he so she said no. An hour later the rain stopped and the sun came out. Oh well!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane Smith View Post
    One small snag was that I had made the appointment as Diane, but when I got there, I realized that they needed the official record to be in "his" name because that's how the insurance company knows me. I kind of jokingly told the receptionist to keep it between ourselves and, indeed, when she called me back to the exam room, she said "Diane" regardless of what was written on the form. One small step ...

- Diane
    Fortunately, my given name is Kim. So, I don't have those kinds of issues to deal with!

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    That's great Kim, but you've got a lot more nerve than I do. Maybe someday, maybe never. That's the doctors. Now the shopping, that's a different story. I offered to meet my wife after her chiroprator treatment today to take advantage of some sales, but it was storming pretty well when I called he so she said no. An hour later the rain stopped and the sun came out. Oh well!
    I don't know, Linda. Maybe I have more nerve...or just fewer complications to worry about. As for shopping - there's always tomorrow!

Kim, Wow, that really sounds like a step-out to me. My Michelle service providers (hair, makeup, nails) know Michelle and Fred; my Fred service providers know only Fred. Your Kim service providers know both Kim and Kim! I know, it's complicated, but you get what I mean.

You sound so comfortable with it all, and never seem to have a negative experience, so continued gooooood karma to you! Hugs, Michelle

Well done Kim! As Suzy has intimated... a small step for Kim (maybe) - a giant leap for many. I think that was a big step girlfriend! xx
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by michelleddg View Post
    Kim, Wow, that really sounds like a step-out to me. My Michelle service providers (hair, makeup, nails) know Michelle and Fred; my Fred service providers know only Fred. Your Kim service providers know both Kim and Kim! I know, it's complicated, but you get what I mean.

You sound so comfortable with it all, and never seem to have a negative experience, so continued gooooood karma to you! Hugs, Michelle
    It helps to be just Kim or I'd be confused too! And I think it is like karma...to the extent that I'df you are positive and self composed, people respond in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Well done Kim! As Suzy has intimated... a small step for Kim (maybe) - a giant leap for many. I think that was a big step girlfriend! xx
    It seems like no big deal in retrospect, except that I know that revealing this part of oneself is as big as we make it. Sometimes that's the obstacle, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl View Post
    ...Next - I'm due for an annual check up with my primary care doctor. I guess its time that I went there fully en femme too!..
    Somehow, I can't seem to shake that disturbing visual of you getting the infamous latex-gloved prostate exam as part of your annual check-up while all dolled up en femme, kim. Doesn't seem quite right, somehow...
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 12-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.

It's outings like these that make life so wonderful. Well at least there will be one aspect to enjoy when you go for your annual check-up. LP

Good for you, Kim! Glad to hear you had a good day and that you took some good steps as well! Thanks for sharing your story with us.
    All the best for the holidays.
    Di

That's so neat. I have to go in this weekend and get some feminine glasses for Leah. Unfortunately, I can't wear contacts. Can't wait to hear about the physician's visit.

Congratulations to Leslie Langford for winning the first ever Michelle Houston crossdressers.com "Visual of the Year" award. Oh my!! Hugs, Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Somehow, I can't seem to shake that disturbing visual of you getting the infamous latex-gloved prostate exam as part of your annual check-up while all dolled up en femme, kim. Doesn't seem quite right, somehow...
    Yes, that's a disturbing thought.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Platinum Member
    Hi Kim, The main thing is that you are getting the propper care for your eyes, Doing it Emfeme
    well that's just icing on the cake.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!