Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing on TV

Silver Member

Crossdressing on TV

TV has had relatively few shows with significant crossdressing roles. Most TV CDers seem to have been insignificant random roles or comedy characters. Bosom Buddies and MASH's Klinger were regular comedy roles which depicted males crossdressing to mislead others, not because they enjoyed crossdressing. With all the thousands of TV characters, why has TV avoided a serious CD character? RuPaul depicts drag queen competition and related drama. But participants do not show their day-to-day normal lives. Will reality TV see possibly more CDing shows or roles? If TV depicted crossdressing differently, perhaps in positive roles rather than comedy stereotypes, would it lead to better understanding and maybe more people experiencing crossdressing?

Heatherdress would you put your life on tv. Not just your cd life but your regular life as a male on television?

Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

there have been a lot more movies and shows that talk and show men and woman that crossdress
    take a look at how long TV took to show Gay couples in movies and or TV shows
    It will just take time to get use to the idea
    WHEN IN STRESS WEAR A DRESS
    BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IT ALL YOU GOT

Silver Member
    Contessa - there have been countless TV roles played by thousands of actors. Why not an actor who plays a serious crossdresser?

Reality TV is quite different. But it is possible to create a spin-off from RuPaul depicting the follow-up day-to-day lives of participants. Or new shows depicting crossdressers who are already open. Or shows in which participants are given crossdressing situations, experiences etc.

This question was not about exposing private lives.

The list of movie and TV crossdresing characters is quite long. But just about every role is a stereotype comedy role or an insignificant minor character. Seems Hollywood would have made some "progress" by now. Would a serious crossdressing detective or doctor role create many interesting possibilities for some show, even if it is not the main theme?
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 09-10-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: merged - please use the edit button

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U may be rite, Heather. It's possibly time for a CD show to be acceptable. Unfortunately, someone in Hollywood has to see a script or situation or person that he thinks will be VERY ENTERTAINING to Muggles! So, think; stupid, insipid, situation comedy. Or, reality TV showing the life of a flamboyant, outragous, drag queen type. Or, reality TV with someone famous that comes out and they follow him/her around!

A real life working stiff that dresses on the side? Or, the struggles of a real pre-op TS? Both good for maybe a one hour show on public TV! Maybe someone here will read this and come up with a CD script that's both realistic AND entertaining? From what I've seen in my 60 years, that would make it the FIRST show in the history of TV like that!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

A couple years ago I saw this reality show where they took regular guys and made them into women. Now you have all these other reality shows that go year after year. Why not that one. It was great and the guys had professionals clothes and makeup. I would sign up in a minute.

This is an interesting topic. I turned on the TV only yesterday afternoon and there was an old NCIS on (don't ever normally watch it, but needed a break from gardening!). The victim was a crossdresser, and there was another transexual character involved that they didn't really show. Throughout the episode the main regular characters uttered words like 'he-she' and 'freak'. It was kind of implied that the victim's crossdressing was a large part and/or symptom of the character's downward spiral.

There's a prevalence on TV to show TV/TS people as damaged in some way (or sometimes with crossdressing depicted as an aspect of a much more extreme character, eg serial killer). Or, as you say Heather, in a purely comedy aspect. In todays large esemble casts, would there not be room for a character that crossdresses? The journey that a lot of us are going through could make great drama if done well. It'd just be lovely to see the whole thing portrayed in a positive light, with a main character or main supporting character, who is successful, well adjusted, likeable and a big fan of summer dresses. A better representation of CDing in the media could speed up acceptance in mainstream society in a big way (and don't even get me started on the British tabloids view of TV/TS people!!).
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square

Silver Member
    The Drew Carey show had a full-fledged hetero TV as a character for some of the series later run. While his dressing was used for some comedic effect at times, the portrayal was pretty accurate of a TV all things considered.
    On The Golden Girls, Sophia's son was a TV (though he was never shown, a later episode did feature his wife and his mother talking about the struggles over his dressing, and they were quite accurate.)

Very tempting for a million dollars.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Sounds good and most of us would probably go for it but really you need to put a bug in the ear of some Hollywood producers with an idea of situation that would inspire. Personally, I always thought something like a private investigator show like "Honey West" from the 1950's could showcase a CD adventuress. The only difference would be is the owner of the PI agency would operate in the field en femme. This was an actual plan of mine in real life that fell through.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Funny, I was thinking this same thing just a couple days ago. TV add came on for yet another new show with a gay man a the lead character and all I could think is how common gay and lesbian rolls are now but no CD. Guess we need to start poking the bee hive.

You mean the crossdressing caveman in the current Gieco commercials isn't serious? I thought he looked seriously hot in that cheerleader uniform!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-x0...x07tPUtw&gl=US
    Last edited by Karren H; 09-10-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Denise David Duchovny part on twin peeks was a cross dresser kinde of serious role.
    Always remimber life is what you make it.
    So make it Beautiful.

Love Ashley Dawn
    http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/ashley...00004093583692

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    The Drew Carey show had a full-fledged hetero TV as a character for some of the series later run. While his dressing was used for some comedic effect at times,
    Wasn't this Craig Furguson of Late Late Show w/Craig Furguson?
    I just couldn't wear my big girl panties today.

Banned Read only
    Television does not try to make change in society. TV is a reflection of society at the moment. TV shows what it cane sell and no more. There would be hundred crossdressing shows if a big enough audience wanted to see it. We are too small a population to merit interest.

Hi Heather

What I was trying to get at is will any of us do it. I could sure I could play a crossdressing hero. But there does not seem to be any TV people seems even in this forum. I mean that directors and or producers who are even thinking about your suggestion. The was only Ed Wood but I am not sure he is even around any more. My co-workers discussed it last year but have made no attempt to get any thing done. I will discuss it again with them. Or should I.

Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

There's no money in it, and television is a business. The talk shows of the '80s and '90s liked to sensationalize real life crossdressers, and I use to turn on the TV hoping Phil Donahue or Jenny Jones would have CDs on.

A few years ago the soap opera 'All my Children' had a recurring role of a TS character that was played very seriously. Saw a few episodes but more than that I don't remember.

Somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    The Drew Carey show had a full-fledged hetero TV as a character for some of the series later run. While his dressing was used for some comedic effect at times, the portrayal was pretty accurate of a TV all things considered.
    Thank you, Vickie, for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha Jayne View Post
    Wasn't this Craig Ferguson of Late Late Show w/Craig Ferguson?
    It was not Ferguson - he played Carey's boss. The character was Drew Carey's brother Steve, played by John Carroll Lynch, who has been in many movies, including "Fargo" and "Gran Torino."

At the time, I remember admiring the very fair and honest depiction, since it was an average guy with little hope of passing but who nonetheless didn't feel a need to be completely closeted. Meanwhile, his cross-dressing was just one part of his whole life, not THE defining element.

I also wondered, however, how such a storyline, minor though it was, could get into a mainstream TV show. I suspected someone with much influence in the show's production wanted it there. That then made me wonder if Drew Carey is a CDer himself and had the character/situation included, but as a "one-off" by making it about his fictional brother.
    If only our families and friends could be as supportive as our bras!

The first episode of the 2nd series of Accused had Sean Bean as the main character portraying a crossdressing school teacher. He was gay but apart from that it was pretty accurate to how most of us are, and that was a 'very' serious show. Plus there are a lot of animes that have crossdressing characters, although they are mostly humorous there's plenty of more series stuff in there as well.
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xdressed View Post
    The first episode of the 2nd series of Accused had Sean Bean as the main character portraying a crossdressing school teacher. He was gay but apart from that it was pretty accurate to how most of us are, and that was a 'very' serious show. Plus there are a lot of animes that have crossdressing characters, although they are mostly humorous there's plenty of more series stuff in there as well.
    I saw that episode and, yes, I think your comments are spot on. It would have been more interesting to me if his character was not gay.

Crossdressing is extremely exciting for me. Other than that, I lead a rather boring life that nobody would pay to see (including me - haha).

There have been plenty of CD in movies, sitcom, Anime, and more but I don't think we should have CDing in every thing. But I would like to see a romantic movie about a CD.
    You where born this way.

Banned Read only
    If we are realistic...

The Civil War ended in 1865.

As Luck would have it [?] or Fate, Blacks [a very sizable percent of our population] did not get full Voting Rights till 1965.

100 YEARS.

Even today, nearly 150 years after the Civil War ended, we still have active Klu Klux Klan and many others who think Blacks should not even be ON the same bus as Whites much less be coralled to the back of the bus.

Today, more than ever money talks. Until MANY more CDers are willing to stop being afraid of what others might think of them and hit the streets in enough numbers to represent a significant portion of the population, I think it is highly unlikely you will ever see more than tiny bits and pieces of CDers represented on TV.

That is of course, unless and until someone can figure out a way of making money off such a character.

Not trying to be cynical or pessimistic, just the way I see it.

I think what would work/could work much better is for a show to take a "chance"with a major character - AFTER the audience falls in love with him/her - and slowly reveal in bits and pieces that CDing is PART of the particualr character and neither defines him or her nor detracts from all the good things that make him or her likable and unique.

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    If we are realistic...

I think what would work/could work much better is for a show to take a "chance"with a major character - AFTER the audience falls in love with him/her - and slowly reveal in bits and pieces that CDing is PART of the particualr character and neither defines him or her nor detracts from all the good things that make him or her likable and unique.
    Kinda like happened in The Crying Game but more drawn out. I like it. Mind if I write it?