Thread: Femme ID

Femme ID

On Friday afternoon, a CD friend and I met to go shopping (enfemme, of course) at some of the local thrift stores. After a successful shopping round (I found several nice things) I decided to do something I had been putting off for awhile. I decided to go ahead and get a legal ID with me dressed as Phoebe. This would be very useful if stopped by the police for any reason, for going through security checkpoints, and also for using credit cards (which are all in my real name) when out dressed.

We got to the Georgia Drivers License office at about 4:30 PM. They close at 5:00, so it wasn't very crowded. The two of us walked in and I handed the receptionist my current driving license and told her I wanted to get an ID card. She entered something in her computer and gave me a number ticket and said to have a seat and then go to the desk that announces my number. In just a minute or two my number came up. The gentleman at the desk was very courteous and asked if I wanted a 5 year or 10 year ID. I asked what the difference in cost was. It was $ 20 for a 5-year and $ 35 for a 10-year one. I said I would just get the 5-year one. He asked if all the info on my current driving license was the same. I said, "Yes, everything but the picture." That didn't phase him a bit. He finished filling out a form, entered some data in the computer, and gave me another number and a form to wait again to get my photo taken and complete the process at another desk. Another wait of a minute or so and I was in line at the photo desk. It took a few minutes for the three or four people ahead of me to get processed and then it was my turn. I had to pay the $ 20, put my index fingers on a scanner for fingerprints, sign my name on another scanner, and finally face the camera. I was then told to wait a few minutes and they would call me when the ID was ready. A couple more minutes and a lady called my name and handed me my finished ID, and asked me to verify that my info was correct on it before leaving. I thanked her, checked it over, and my friend (who had been patiently waiting through all this) and I headed for the door. As we were about to leave, a supervisor and the receptionist wished us a nice day. I wished them one back as we went out the door.

The whole process of getting the ID had taken about 20 minutes. The whole time we were there, no one gave us a second look (not even the employees). And this was a fairly large processing center in the suburbs, with some 20 application desks inside. If you conduct yourself as a lady, people will treat you as one, even if they know otherwise.

Here's a photo of how I was dressed for the day (taken at one of the thrift shops) and of the ID card itself (with name, address, etc. deleted by me for security for posting here):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phoebe

Great!

Hey, Phoebe, good job, girl! I didn't think it was that easy to get a legal ID with my femme picture. Now I'm not quite clear. Was this an ID with your male name and Phoebe picture or your Phoebe picture and Phoebe name? Sounds like your male name and Phoebe picture. That's cool! Stay pretty!

Love,
    Stephanie Kay

Phoebe,

What a great idea Phoebe. We should all have a card like yours. It could make things a lot easier if we are ever stopped by a law enforcement officer. I am going to look into getting a card for myself.

Eileen

Just curious, did you keep your drivers license? So you have a male ID and one with a femm picture w/ your male name? I wonder it Mich has that available. It would be fun to have both.

Phoebe, wow, what a great experience for you....and what a terrific post!

So now you have a DL with your male picture, and a legal ID with your female picture? I didn't know you could do that. You've done us all a great favor by educating us about the options that are out there if you are brave enough to take advantage of them.

Oh and.....you look very nice btw
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Platinum Member
    way cool ...i don't know if i would do it but it could save some trouble latter ....

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I hope my experience will be of some value to all TG folks out there. It's easy to do and can save you problems when using a credit card that's in your male name. Not to mention, if you show it to a policeman when asked for ID, they cannot charge you under any ordinances against public disguises. I think it's well worth the $ 20 it cost.

The ID card with the Phoebe picture has my male name on it - that's why I deleted it from the scan. I did keep my original drivers license. I only had to show it for them to access my records. The expiration of the ID card is in a different year from the drivers license, but also expires on my birthday. All ID cards and drivers licenses in Georgia are set to expire on an individual's birthday.

Most states have websites for their drivers license bureaus. Check what info they have for ID card rules that apply in your own state.
    Phoebe

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Phoebe that is just wonderful, now you can spend plastic.
    But tell me, as a non-US citizen, what gives with ID Cards and fingerprints in your part of the world ? In Scotland we have them not, just Credit and Debit Cards and Library cards. Not that our Prime Minister approves he wants all you have plus biometric data and who knows what else on the card. And then the nerve of the man, he intends a one time charge of around £100.
    I wonder what your homeland security would say, come to that how about two individuals with the same fingerprint. Not to worry they are far to busy to check daft things like that

Go with it
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Well, allllllll-right! Good job. Thanks for posting the pic with it for verification. It might just make your life easier for you.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Hi Phoebe

Very impressed by what you have done

Love

Jakie

ma(((((WOMAN!!!)))))n KittyMuffin's Avatar
    Wow you have guts to do something like that! Way to go, Phoebe!

Haley Pink~

Hmmmm?

Ok, one big question!!

Is this what I need to do, to fly on a comercial airlines? Does anyone here fly en femme? I have a TriEss thing next year that will mean a flight getting there. I need to know all the steps and hoops I have to jump through to do this. Is getting a State ID card of myself dressed en femme one of them?

Haley

Thanks for all the nice comments Ladies.

Samantha, there is not a national ID system in place in America (yet). It is up to individual states to come up with and implement ID requirements for their own state. Consequently, what is true for ID requirements in Georgia may not be the same as next door in Alabama. All states generally honor whatever ID's have been issued by another state though. The duplicate fingerprint thing is not an issue, as all the info (including name, sex, etc.) on the ID are identical to my driving license. Only the photo is different.

Haley, the answer is yes. A number of Tri-Ess members have flown dressed to the various national gatherings, such as Holiday Enfemme. All of the ones whose accounts I have read used either a state issued ID like I have or a dual photo ID that was produced by a Tri-Ess chapter. The state issued one is preferable as it is an official government issue. Some states may not issue an ID separate from a drivers license, so you need to check what applies in your state.

As a side note, I have used the ID several times now. I mentioned it in this thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17780 It is really a very handy thing for someone who goes out dressed in public to have.
    Phoebe

Not a little girl
    I got a State of California ID card a few years ago (for reasons we don't need to go into here, but it did not have any thing to do with gender).

I was required to surrender my drivers license in order to obtain the ID card. I was told that CA does not allow you to have two forms of ID.

I'm sure there is more detailed info elsewhere, but http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#idcard has some info.