Thread: Beard plucking tips?

Aspiring Member

Beard plucking tips?

Got any tips on how to pluck those pesky beard hairs that are too short to grasp easily, but long enough to be visible?

Like, what types of tweezers to buy? Any trick in prepping the skin to make it easier to pluck?

Platinum Member
    why not go for laser??

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

tweezers

Revlon has tweezers with black handles that come to a very tight thin flat end cut at a 30 degree angle. They grab almost anything and can grab it very close to the skin and not let go!

My best is after a shower!

tina

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    why not go for laser??
    Done 3 out of 5 laser hair removal treatments already. I'm not allowed to pluck 3 weeks before an appointment, but other times I pluck as much as I can. In fact I've gotten more aggressive about plucking the less hair I have because I can finally see myself having a clear beard!

tweezer the beard?!!? OUCH!

No... Legs I can handle... but the face. BLARRG! x

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

Just a heads up, if you think there's a chance that you'll ever want to do electrolysis on your face, don't pluck, as that can cause deformities of your follicles which makes electrolysis more difficult.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

If you want your face to be clear, don't pluck. Plucked hairs come back, and like someone else said, it distorts the follicle making electrolysis much more difficult and painful.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleB View Post
    If you want your face to be clear, don't pluck. Plucked hairs come back, and like someone else said, it distorts the follicle making electrolysis much more difficult and painful.
    What do you do while waiting for laser/electrolysis to complete? Shave it real close? Cover it with makeup foundation?

I experimented with plucking my beard this week and was quite amazed how deep those things go into the skin,anyway i started worrying about in growing hairs so have stopped to see if the hair regrows or not.The question is:- does plucking permamently remove the hair or not and if you get an ingrowing hair what do you do about it?

Whoops my question was answered as i was writing it, silly me..

Error: User not found;
    check out "Tweezerman" there what beauticians use , pretty expensive but have a lifetime warranty , and the company will even resharpen them etc for free, they are like a surgical instrument they are that good. I didnt have much facial hair and used to pluck for a few years before i got lasered.

http://www.tweezerman.com/index.cfm?...etail&prod=210

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferMint View Post
    What do you do while waiting for laser/electrolysis to complete? Shave it real close? Cover it with makeup foundation?
    Yes, that's exactly what you do. It's what I do. It's totally true that plucking on the face can damage the follicle, making electrolysis impossible. It's not even the shaved hairs that cause upset for me, it's the way the skin bobbles and goes red while it's healing that shows. And while it's weeping, I can't even shave it or put makeup on, either.
    My electrolysist gets annoyed enough that I shave, if I plucked she'd probably kill me with an axe. Well, or give me a look.
    I don't like it, but that's how it is. I'd also assume that a plucked hair would be harder to kill with laser too, so you'd just store up hairs that aren't dead, ie make the process longer.
    The best way is to not go full time until it's clear, but sometimes that's not the way it goes. Hey ho.

Take care

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferMint View Post
    Got any tips on how to pluck those pesky beard hairs that are too short to grasp easily, but long enough to be visible?

Like, what types of tweezers to buy? Any trick in prepping the skin to make it easier to pluck?

To make it easier to pluck, (if that's your choice) first hold a face cloth soaked in water, as hot as you can stand it, over your face for a few minutes. This opens the pores. I've done this for years when plucking my eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by GG Vanya View Post
    This opens the pores.
    You do realise that's an old wives tale Pores don't open or close. They are an opening in the skin to allow sebum (oil) to secrete. Using hot water does help, but it loosens the follicle, it does nothing to the actual pore.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara GG View Post
    You do realise that's an old wives tale Pores don't open or close. They are an opening in the skin to allow sebum (oil) to secrete. Using hot water does help, but it loosens the follicle, it does nothing to the actual pore.
    This is but one of literally hundreds of sites which support my statement:

http://www.acne-resource.org/underst...ne/shower.html

Quote Originally Posted by GG Vanya View Post
    This is but one of literally hundreds of sites which support my statement:

http://www.acne-resource.org/underst...ne/shower.html
    Whether it supports your statement or not, I'm also a qualified Beauty Therapist and it is a fact, pores do not open or close.

http://www.makeup101.com/10beautymyths.html
    http://www.dermstore.com/articles/article_3.htm
    http://www.goodskindermcare.com/temp...101/myths.tmpl

I could find more

<edit> I've just emailed them, their information is incorrect.
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 08-16-2006 at 11:37 PM.
    Administrator

Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Banned Read only
    Science has recently come up with some interesting facts on how skin pores open and close. The electrical switching mechanism is tied into our skin's heat sensory mechanism. The pore lining has a positive electrical charge that serves to keep the pore closed and keep the moisture and oils in place within it until there is a build up in pressure or heat. This build up of heat or pressure causes the piezo-electric liquid crystal containing tissue in the skin to give off a negative-electric charge, which changes the electrical potential of the pore lining, thus allowing it to open and discharge its contents by perspiration, the skin's elimination process.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree again. I could supply more links too, but to what end? And BTW, I was a trained beauty consultant for a few years myself.

I don't see that it matters whether the hot water opens or closes the pores in this incidence; what does matter is that I know from years of experience that plucking is much easier and less painful if a hot cloth is applied first. I've also never known anyone who shaved using cold water. Trudi says it allows for a closer shave using hot water. I agree.

I never said the hot water wouldn't help? I just explained 'how' the hot water helps I know myself that it does help, since I use this type of method for plucking hairs.
    Administrator

I pluck, and sometimes the hair can become ingrown due to some parts of the hair follical blocking the opening.

Note that in some instances, or spots, permanent hair loss can result. As a kid I had a condition known as trichotillomania and have a couple of spots in my eyelashes wher the hair has never grown back.

The pores are also know as sweat pores and the hair shaft does not extend from sweat pores. There's no muscle there to open and close the pores.

The opening from which the hair shaft extends secrets sebum onto the hair to keep is from becoming brittle. See http://www.olympusmicro.com/gallerie...iclesmall.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DonnaT; 08-17-2006 at 12:39 AM.
    DonnaT

you know, the opening closing of pores thing could easily be explained by the fact the heat makes the skin expand slightly which would stretch the pores open, and when the skin colled, they would "close"

not got anything to back it up, just thought it might be intresting *grins*

Wouldn't the expansion close the pores, and the cold open them because of shrinking, instead? After all, if the skin expanded where would it expand to except to fill the void of the pores?
    DonnaT