PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to tell my mum...

xAnne_Mariex
02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, I i'm ready to have the talk. Anyone have any tips on how to come out to my mum?

I'm VERY close with her and we get on so well, i'm almost certain she will be totally fine with it, but as you can imagine there's some anxiety surrounding the issue.

What would be the best way of doing it? I wrote everything down the other day and was thinking of handing her the note, letting her read it and then talking about it afterwards, but at the same time I don't want her to start reading it, get upset and not finish reading cause I said a lot of stuff in the note and explain a lot of the reasons behind my dressing.

Any tips? She's a great person, tolerant, understanding and probably one of those mums that you can always rely on to be there for you, but i'm still scared lol :tongueout

DonnaT
02-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I showed my mom a picture. She asked who it was. It took a bit to convince her it was me. She asked why I was dressed, and I explained. She been great about it.

Good luck telling your mother.

Mirani
02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
You have a great idea there Anne Marie.
How about editing it down a bit and keep it to the essentials, being ready to answer any questions.

Good luck and best wishes.

JoAnne Wheeler
02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Just tell her the truth - tell her there is something onyour mind that you want to talk to her about - show her your femme picture - tell her about this website

JoAnne Wheeler

Lisa Golightly
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't think the note is a good idea... You need to adapt to things as they unfold. I showed a photo... which kinda helped... but she had a mother's secret knowledge and I don't think she was that surprised.

MJ
02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
the picture is a good idea. i'm sure mum will have many questions for you.

Shelly Preston
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Please read the link in my signature on telling your partner

I know its your mum but a lot of the advice still applies

It has a lot of advice as to preparations and timing

Bev06 GG
02-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Awww babes, she probably already suspects. If your as close as you sound I am certain your mum wont be that surprised. And guess what, Mums adore their sons, I am certain it will just be something else that you can share together.
I'd be quite flattered if my son shared something personal with me. I am not sure I'd appreciate a letter but I guess if that was how he felt most comfortable in divulging such personal info then that would be ok too.
Good luck
Bev

tricia_uktv
02-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Make sure you prepare her for the shock beforehand. I think I would prefer to do it face to face (my Mum knows and accepts but it didn't happen as I would have liked) but maybe read your letter to her? Good luck hon

xAnne_Mariex
02-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice and kind words, this is definitely something i'm going to be doing, I just can't find the right time lol.

I missed a perfect opportunity earlier, I was ordering myself some stuff and cause I chickened out I said it was for a young girl I work with and that she had asked me to order some stuff :o

Ah well, maybe next time :brolleyes:

DawnRodgers
02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Ah, it's things like that that open the door and make them suspicious that something is going on. It's hard to hide things from mom.

xAnne_Mariex
02-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah definitely, was a stupid thing to say unfortunately.

The girl i said I ordered the stuff for is in plays and a drama group and she knows that, so MAY have believed me lol..... :brolleyes:

xAnne_Mariex
02-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, I just did it and it went very well and she was every bit as understanding as I thought she would be.

I just said I do it, i'm not gay, don't want to be a woman and that it's just kinda an escape and something I do for fun/in my spare time. I got a little bit upset and so did she, but she said that she has no problem with it atall.

I said I would stop doing it if she wanted me to but she said she wouldn't stop me from doing it as that would stop me being who I am, which means a lot to me.

But yeah, finally out in the open and it feels like a massive load has been lifted off my mind

Lisa Golightly
02-06-2009, 05:37 PM
*hugs* :)

DonnaT
02-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I said I would stop doing it if she wanted me to but she said she wouldn't stop me from doing it as that would stop me being who I am

You've got a smart mother, Anne Marie.

danielle_from_cal
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
This is a wonderful thread to read through. I never noticed it until I saw your photos with you in the clothes you bought to celebrate telling your mom about your crossdressing. I just told my mother a couple of years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. I will bet you are feeling wonderful too! Congratulations!

Cookiecrumb GG
02-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't post very often, but I just wanted to say I am so happy this went well for you :)

Beth785
02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm so happy to hear it turned out well. I've been kinda thinking about telling my mum lately. As others have said, her mom-radar may have already given me away and she is just waiting for me to open up.

Tasha McIntyre
02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, I just did it and it went very well and she was every bit as understanding as I thought she would be.

An excellent outcome Anne Marie. Well done to you :)

Kristen Marie
02-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I so wish I had been able to do what you did years ago. I am so happy for you!

Kimberly Marie Kelly
02-09-2009, 11:52 PM
She's passed away sevreral years ago, hopefully she knows anyway, hard to hide things from your Mom. I'm happy for you..:battingeyelashes: