PDA

View Full Version : Wants vs. Needs

Emily Anderson
02-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm sorry if this has been posted a million times before, but such is the nature of today's "want it now/need it now" society :)

The question is simple, the response perhaps less so...

Do you crossdress because you want to, or because you need to?

Nigella
02-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Neither

Just because its me!!

Mean Green Irene
02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Definitely a need since the age of 8 over 50 years ago.

xAnne_Mariex
02-04-2009, 03:16 PM
I'd say it's more of a want tbh, I thoroughly enjoy it and although the urges do get quite strong sometimes I am able to ignore them and wait til next time to dress up.

JoAnne Wheeler
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
It starts off as a want to and if I don't get to, then it becomes a need to - or I will go nuts (my Spouse tells me I'm already there)

JoAnne Wheeler

Daliah
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I crossdress because I want to. I am pretty happy being male over 90% of the time. If I never get to crossdress again for the rest of my life I won't like it but I will be fine.

However, I may be saying this since I am relatively new to this hobby. As I explore more my opinion can change.

DameErrant
02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
The answer is, Yes!

Emily Anderson
02-04-2009, 03:29 PM
The answer is, Yes!

That was very thoughtful. Thanks for your contribution.

Deborah Jane
02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Sometimes i dress because i need too [bad day at work, etc]

Sometimes i dress just because i want too, i enjoy the fun of dressing and often like to try differant looks :battingeyelashes:

Trust me to answer both eh Emily :D

MJ
02-04-2009, 03:42 PM
it's because it's who i am. so i need to in order to survive

Jenniferpl
02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I want to because I need to.

Emily Anderson
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
I want to because I need to.

OK folks, it seems there are a lot of "players" about, and I shall try to ignore them.

For the others, who hopefully thought more deeply about the question, and can contribute something more than a quip... I'm sincerely interested in knowing your thoughts on the matter.

Nigella
02-04-2009, 04:13 PM
OK folks, it seems there are a lot of "players" about, and I shall try to ignore them.

For the others, who hopefully thought more deeply about the question, and can contribute something more than a quip... I'm sincerely interested in knowing your thoughts on the matter.

:sad: Ok so some of the responses may be a quip but

remember this. For some of us it is a way of life, not a want or need

Carole Cross
02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
As Nigella said, for me it is a way of life since I have accepted myself as TS.

Kelli Michelle
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I think my title gets to the crux of the matter.

If it's "...the way you are...", I would think it's a necessity; otherwise, a desire, which I would consider not as strong an emotion, in general. Of course there are varying degrees to consider.

For me, it's a need. I can no longer consider NOT doing it, to a large degree.

Of course, I could be mistaken. :heehee:

trisha59
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't have a answer for you its like eating, I need to eat but I also enjoy eating.

AllieSF
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I dress because I want to. However, after a long no dress period, I want to and need to.

Emily Anderson
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
:sad: Ok so some of the responses may be a quip but

remember this. For some of us it is a way of life, not a want or need

That's just a cop out, and yet another non-answer to the question. Perhaps laziness, perhaps arrogance, perhaps a deliberately antagonistic response to a perfectly valid question... I will pass on plain stupidity. The least one could expect is a well formulated opinion.

Nigella
02-04-2009, 05:21 PM
That's just a cop out, and yet another non-answer to the question. Perhaps laziness, perhaps arrogance, perhaps a deliberately antagonistic response to a perfectly valid question... I will pass on plain stupidity. The least one could expect is a well formulated opinion.

I then refer you to my signature

Sheila
02-04-2009, 05:31 PM

But that is where you are wrong Emily because for Nigella, it is a way of life, and if you knew anything about her,you would know this is the truth ............ you need to make an apology to that lady, and fast :Angry3::Angry3::Angry3:

Bev06 GG
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't have a answer for you its like eating, I need to eat but I also enjoy eating.

Tee hee, not quite the same though Trisha. I know what Emily means with her question.
I want to do lots of things, but I dont neccessarily need to. I would like to go abroad next year on my holidays but I dont need to, I can get by with a weekend away in Mablethorpe.
If you need to do something it usually means that by not doing so you will suffer certain consequences. For example I need to bath because if I dont eventually I will stink
So girls do you want to Dress but could you get by with not doing
Or do you need to dress otherwise there will be consequences.
Simple question really.
take care
Bev

Emily Anderson
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
But that is where you are wrong Emily because for Nigella, it is a way of life, and if you knew anything about her,you would know this is the truth ............ you need to make an apology to that lady, and fast :Angry3::Angry3::Angry3:

I'm not really in the habit of making public apologies, especially when instigated by third parties. I would prefer to think that anyone who has an opinion contrary to mine also has the ability to express their own opinion on the matter. I'm also not very fond of responding personally in public threads, especially when I'm the OP. Thus, I will back off now, and let everyone have a ball with the original question...

PM me if you want to have a personal gripe.

Sheila
02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not really in the habit of making public apologies, especially when instigated by third parties. I would prefer to think that anyone who has an opinion contrary to mine also has the ability to express their own opinion on the matter. I'm also not very fond of responding personally in public threads, especially when I'm the OP. Thus, I will back off now, and let everyone have a ball with the original question...

Having read a few of your posts i can believe that, got to hot in the kitchen did it ?:doh: and I did not ask for a public apology ...perhaps you should read the quote you used.

As for Nigella I stand behind every word, It is a way of life for her, neither a want nor need , but a way of life ........... or is that to difficult for you to understand ?

Rebecca Sue
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I think that there is both a need & a desire involved. Sometimes the need is at the forefront & at those times there really isn't any option involved - nature calls & must be answered. At other times the need is still there but is more in the background, at those times it's more a matter of dressing out of desire, but the need is still somewhere in the mix. I'm new to crossdressing but this is the way it is for me.

DameErrant
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
That was very thoughtful. Thanks for your contribution.

My answer was quite serious. I both want and need to, and it's hard sometimes to tell where one ends and the other begins. When I am experiencing it, both combine to become one experience. Both wants and needs are satisfied. And the rest of my life moves more smoothly and becomes better integrated. I become both happier and more whole.

Susan Dee
02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Emily

It looks like most of the replies are really genuine, and it's not something that a lot of us could answer in a couple of simple sentences.

Seems to me there are two issues there -

......but such is the nature of today's "want it now/need it now" society....
and

It would take an even bigger answer to deal with the want to / need to question in the context of the first question.

And me? I think I go with JoAnne's answer -

It starts off as a want to and if I don't get to, then it becomes a need to

Right now, I need to.

Wendy me
02-04-2009, 05:55 PM

Emily dear Emily ...... your going to have to chill out some ... and my dear that's my opinion... play nice or this is over with..............

Lora Olivia
02-04-2009, 06:11 PM

The response may also be that simple

Perhaps laziness, perhaps arrogance, perhaps a deliberately antagonistic response to a perfectly valid question... I will pass on plain stupidity.

And perhaps this is an antagonistic response to an honest answer.

I have to agree here, Nigella in no way deserves this.

So girls do you want to Dress but could you get by with not doing
Or do you need to dress otherwise there will be consequences.
Simple question really.
take care
Bev

As I see it a need is something that is life sustaining...food, water, shelter, love etc. Since my desire to be able to express myself by dressing, going out, shopping, loving as what I am (a female) and I was driving "him" to the point of suicide, I consider this a need

ladybirdloves
02-04-2009, 06:56 PM
I see as similar to if a person is gay and tries to hide it or pretend to be somthing different they dont feel whole in someway. Crossdressing for me is part of who I am so if I dont dress I dont feel whole so is that classed as a need or a want?? I suppose then it is a need to be whole rather then a want???

Nicki B
02-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Perhaps again, Emily, you equate number of words to thoughts? It's actually very hard to distill ideas down to simple, succinct statements, it's much easier to ramble.. See?

FWIW, my answer to your question is 'both'. And I don't see anything wrong in that, it's not a quip, it's the closest I can get to a truth?

msginaadoll
02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Its not an easy answer one way or the other. If i stop dressing as gina, would I die. No its not like im going without food or water. And I have stopped dressing for periods because I was ashamed or wanted to be "Normal" whatever that means. Sometimes I wish I could just take a pill and be like the other 70-90% of males who dont dress. But I cant and for better or worse it is a part, and big part of who I am. Yes i can give up that part but then I guess the question would be would i be a "Whole" person. Sorry for my ramblings! Gina

TGMarla
02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I've been crossdressing since I was 12, and it's progressed to the point where I'm actually practicing female emulation, which may be on the middle to upper end of the ol' bell curve for this whole transgender thing. I've been doing this so long now, I don't know how not to.

There is almost never a time when I don't want to dress. Opportunity doesn't knock all the time. As far as a need goes, I would imagine that not having the opportunity to crossdress would weigh heavily on me. So in a sense, in order to keep me on an even keel, I probably need to have the opportunity to crossdress. Not doing so would likely hurt me psychologically.

So yes, I want to.
And yes, I probably need to.

brittanny
02-04-2009, 09:55 PM
I would say its a need I have been able to stop for periods of time but I always come back to it so its most likley a need

battybattybats
02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I definatly get depressed when I go for long without dressing, so even when I want to NOT dress i still NEED to. But When I don't want to its usually unconcious procrastination and unresolved self-acceptance issues.

But when I want to I don't notice if I need to.

So the answer can only be BOTH! Because is usually want to, but I also need to!

celeste88
02-05-2009, 03:40 AM
Dear Emily,

I like your question, as it pertains to everything in life, not just what we wear.
My answer, at least for me, is definitely that I would dress out of desire, as opposed to need.

Everything is relative. If I have everything in order and I have a bit of free time and privacy, I will dress and enjoy myself. When there are other priorities, I won't. This does not apply to everyone though, because some people here define themselves as women, which is their right. For them it is not really a question of want or need.

However, for people like me who have a feminine side to my man's personality, I would say it is a want. I would not die if I had to spend the rest of my life in drab, but I would sure miss being able to dress up!

Celeste

Stephanie Stephens
02-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Emily, this is a very good question and maybe something we should consider. The answer just could be one of those things that place us on the scale between "normal male" and transgendered. Myself, I feel I have a need to express my femininity. It is a part of who I am and I cannot hold it back. Stephanie is real. Thanks for asking the question Emily.

Jilmac
02-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I guess I could combine want and need and say I dress because I love to.:love:

Angie G
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
I think some of both Emily But more to the want to side.:hugs:
Angie

il.dso
02-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Both.

Tasha McIntyre
02-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Most of the time it's because I want to, as in I just feel like it. If I go for an extended period without dressing, which for me is more than a couple of weeks, I feel the need part taking over.

Give me a few hours to be Tash and my world is suddenly a whole lot better :)

Emily Anderson
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the insightful responses!

It is indeed very difficult to determine the difference between a "want" (something that we desire), and a "need" (something without which we could not survive).

Sometimes drawing a line between the two is tough, and not an easy subject to broach.

sometimes_miss
02-05-2009, 03:48 PM
<snip>Do you crossdress because you want to, or because you need to?

Neither. It's basically just a feeling of being supposed to be dressed in female clothing, an uncomfortable feeling of being in the wrong clothes when I'm dressed as a man. The easiest explanation would be, going to a formal occasion where everyone else is in a tux or gown, and you are wearing a bathing suit. Sure, your private areas are covered and you're in an outfit that you normally wouldn't be uncomfortable wearing should you be on a beach, but in this case you just have an uncomfortable feeling that won't go away. That's how it feels for me. That uncomfortable feeling goes away when I'm dressed in female clothing. Oddly, I know I look absolutely absurd when trying to dress up pretty, but it FEELS normal.

Nicki B
02-05-2009, 07:34 PM
It is indeed very difficult to determine the difference between a "want" (something that we desire), and a "need" (something without which we could not survive).

Is it, Emily? :strugglin

Surely if you try to stop doing it and see what effect that has on you, it gives you some insight?

If i stop dressing as gina, would I die. No its not like im going without food or water.

Gina, we all feel this need to different extents, so that may certainly be true for you - but I have known girls who have killed themselves because they couldn't live as they needed, most recently a good friend, last May. :sad:

sande10
02-05-2009, 07:39 PM
:love:great question: my vote is for need