PDA

View Full Version : Pretending online?

Karren H
02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
So do you or have you pretended to be a woman online for what ever reason?

Personally when I first signed up on "That Makeup Forum" which was inhabited mainly by women... I didn't say what I was and wrote my intro so that everything was true but I didn't say I was a guy.. So I started participating and realized that they were a pretty accepting bunch of girls.... So one thread about being bashed online I posted something about what happened to me on IM and one girl asked if they did that because I was a woman... Ahhhhh. NO!! And so I told them my story and they were cool with it...

So now I'm on 15+ forums, this one being the only crossdressing one, and I use Karren as my I'd and I put in my profile exactually who I am.. And I've had no problems at all..

Now we have had a number of "girls" sign up the last year and they look and sound pretty convincing.. But there's always something that gives them away.. Saying "Hon" is almost a sure sign!! Lol. One was obsessed with lingerie!! All she talked about.. After following her IP address to Arizona, found her posted on a TG dating site.. She quit coming around after none of the women would talk lingerie except me!! Hahaha
Altrernately there's one member the other mods swore was a CD.. And I search and search and and chatted with her.. Nope.. She's is a she..

There have been lately guys who sign up as guys and then spin a story about they want to buy some makeup for their neice or they are doing makeup research for their girl friend!! Yeah right!! Pretending not to be crossdressers!!

So when on a non-crossdressing site do you try to pass as a woman?

Sherlyn
02-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Not I Karren. I moderate on a musicians recording and chat forum using my real ID..
You belong to 15 ..Wow seems your here 24/7 ..lol

cindyxxx
02-06-2009, 01:06 PM
On line I almost always pass myself as a woman and, interestingly enough, call everyone hon.
I had never even thought about it before so thanks for that tip!
I think, as with so many others, that those of us who are too timid to venture into the big bad world often use siters as a part of the effort to be accepted a s female, even for a short time and by those we never see.
This is the only place I have ever admitted to being a CDer which is one of the reasons I love it so much.

StacyCD
02-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Nope. I don't belong to any discussion forums where I am 'pretending' to be a female. All of the CD forums I participate in have me listed as CD.

Mistybtm
02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
When i get free samples I usualy use my woman name Misty or when I leave a review for clothes i have bought from romans.com i use my female name as well:tongueout

Christie ann
02-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Yup... I was a member on MUT and pretended to be a tom girl (which I guess I am except for the y chromosome) . But, as you said, they seem like a nice group and I couldn't keep the deception up, I felt bad and just stopped showing up. Karren you and I had more than a few converstaions about geology and mining.

Jenny J
02-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Geez Karen, you’re frightening me. Everywhere I go now I’m going to be looking over my shoulder to see if some Coal Miner’s Daughter in a Steeler Tee shirt is stocking me.

I’m going to be especially careful discussing my team affiliations (Phillies/Chargers), you figure that one out!

A couple of girls at a TG support group I attend have accused me of pretending to be a crossdresser but I think that was because of several fashion faux pax. At least I hope so.

Heck, Now I’m even worried about visiting some of my favorite websites.

http://www.bakersfieldblaze.com
http://bluerocks.com (http://www.bluerocks.com)
http://arizonasundogs.com (http://www.arizonasundogs.com)

Even http://www.muffinmakers.com isn’t safe!

Who knows what someone might find out about me?

Jen

Pretending to be here :heehee:

Holly
02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Why would I need to pretend to be something that I am... hon?:heehee:

kristinacd55
02-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Karren, Your posts are becoming so confusing to me. Is it because your team won the Super Bowl?? :)

Karren H
02-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Yup... I was a member on MUT and pretended to be a tom girl (which I guess I am except for the y chromosome) . But, as you said, they seem like a nice group and I couldn't keep the deception up, I felt bad and just stopped showing up. Karren you and I had more than a few converstaions about geology and mining.

OMG!!! I was totally fooled.. But always wondered about a pretty girl running around Colorado doing sedimentology studies!! I have so wondered where you went and really miss chatting with you!! Girl or not!!! Lol. I'm speachless!! Totally!!

Geez Karen, you’re frightening me. Everywhere I go now I’m going to be looking over my shoulder to see if some Coal Miner’s Daughter in a Steeler Tee shirt is stocking me.

I’m going to be especially careful discussing my team affiliations (Phillies/Chargers), you figure that one out!

A couple of girls at a TG support group I attend have accused me of pretending to be a crossdresser but I think that was because of several fashion faux pax. At least I hope so.

Heck, Now I’m even worried about visiting some of my favorite websites.

Who knows what someone might find out about me?

Jen

Pretending to be here :heehee:

Be vewy vewy afwaid!! :).

Mods and admins can use your ip address to find out what city you live in and what your internet provider is.. Doesn't take much detective work online to find out a lot about you.. Even the photos you upload have info imbedded in them... One mod who is good with photoshop showed me all the stuff that was done to a photo and when...

SherriePall
02-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Karren -- This forum is enough for me and I know that all of you realize that I am not a crossdresser, but rather a female admirer.

Kathleen Grace
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I admit that I'd like to chat with a female identity with other females. I don't because of the reasons Karren mentioned. I've posed female a few times in chat rooms because of the creeps that have harassed me when I've been honest about my physical gender. I rarely use chat rooms anymore. I do use IMVU for playing virtual dress up so to speak. But I don't chat with people I don't know. I'm listed as female in IMVU because when I was being honest all the creeps either kept coming on to me constantly or kept making fowl remarks.

Writing about this is making me feel a little sad. I'm so glad I have this forum to visit. Sometimes it's just nice to not have to pretend but still be treated like one of the girls. You know what I mean?

Lorileah
02-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I tried to pass myself off on an online poker site and did for almost two years, but alas when one seeks attention like I do, it doesn't take long for someone to Google you and I wasn't as stealthy as I thought I was.

Taught me to either go all in or fold when you bluff too long tho :)

JenniferR771
02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Sure, Karren. I pretended for a few months, on a group site, but only to make it more interesting for the guys. There is such a shortage of leather-wearing dominant women. LOL! Pictures were not the best. I got found out pretty quick and don't pretend anymore.

Kathleen Grace
02-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I thought about it and I just changed back to Male on IMVU. Honesty being the best policy and all. I just hope the creeps stay away!

Phyliss
02-06-2009, 03:38 PM
I've thought about "pretending" a few times, just to see what would happen, but knowing how much "dain bramage" there is from too much "strong drink" I decided that I'd not be able to keep my story straight. Have a tough enough time just remembering what happened when and where with whom, let alone embellishing it.

What did I have for breakfast??? Or did I?

Karren H
02-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Karren -- This forum is enough for me and I know that all of you realize that I am not a crossdresser, but rather a female admirer.

Yeah right, Sherrie!! I'll pretend I didn't hear that!! Lol.

Beth785
02-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I haven't done other female specific types of forums, so that would be a no. But, I have a my space page and it's listed as Female, so that does count. I have had a couple of guys try to hit on me, but I just ignore them and never hear anything else back from them. I bet it's that they try with about 30 girls and see if any bite. I'm not trying to deceive anyone in that way, as I most definitely like girls!

Connie D50
02-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I love to play cards on line and have always been signed in as Connie I meet a lot of nice girl friends we talk about family and all kinds of other things.

Kate Simmons
02-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Now that is for me to know and everyone else to find out Karr. I will say this however, I've been "hit on" on more than one site.:)

Tashee
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I had to lay low for CD reasons-CD and PD do not mix well.Now I am playing out to see and try to hit them with 1 more thing on my 20 and done retirement program.

I played on UR Not alone--Then I thought maybe I was alone. everyone seemed to be a guy who happened to be looking for a girl ya right like me--oK

SO i STAYED HERE--when I got hurt got sick---made a friend or 2 and became very happy here----Yes I am very open minded.If a guy like us for those reasons its cool--If they want us cause they think that is all we want and they believe the movies they can stick it----Not using me honey.

and I found some intense spirituality here. That I was mocked elsewhere for even mentioning...

This is a cool place with stand up girls. I am blessed to be a part of.

JoAnne Wheeler
02-06-2009, 05:02 PM
NO - I never have

JoAnne Wheeler

Samantha43
02-06-2009, 05:10 PM
I only belong to two other forums, and they're for my manly hobbies. I have gone into chat rooms a few times as a woman......pretty scarey stuff......

Lorileah
02-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I only belong to two other forums, and they're for my manly hobbies. I have gone into chat rooms a few times as a woman......pretty scarey stuff......
Tell me hun. When I first was on AO(ehem) I was hit on a bunch and even when I said I wasn't a female...they didn't care! OY! On the up side I learned real fast what women go through with the neanderthals that lurk out in the world

Vicky Perry
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I have alot of blog sites acualy to many of them to hard to keep up with everything going on, on all of them on the profile I try to be as honest as possible and put doun that I am transgender and put alot of information doun even that I am married but it is amazeing the people who dont read the profile and send stupid questions when it is all spelled out

TxKimberly
02-06-2009, 06:25 PM
On your recommendation, I joined makeuptalk.com also. I was up front about who and what I am though, and much as yourself, they have made me 100% welcome. :-)
When I first started my yahoo360 and Myspace, I hesitated, thinking that I might just let everyone assume I was female, but then something struck me - there was no reason for anyone to be interested in my page. There was nothing to draw them to it. Who wants to read about a 42 year old woman that travels for a living? After that point was brought home to me, I made it clear who and what I am.

Nicki B
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
The only equivalent boards I've been involved in were LGB ones - I've never 'pretended' to be something I'm not - but I've never told all and sundry I'm trans either, I've just been me?

If you tell lies, who is it you're trying to fool, really?

docrobbysherry
02-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I joined something like:
mygunsbiggerthanyoursdude.com:tongueout

After continually responding, "No", "No", "No, and, "Because I"m a lesbian", I left it!:doh:

Gabrielle Hermosa
02-06-2009, 08:53 PM

In response to the initial question: no, I have not pretended to be a real woman online.

I once played an online multiplayer shoot-em-up game as a female character in a free-for-all frag fest - used the name "Iron MAIDen" because I was digitally-dressed as a French maid and a little bit of an Iron Maiden fan back in the day. But I didn't chat with the other players much... or maybe even at all. Can't remember now. I was too busy getting repeatedly gunned down to do much of anything in the game. lol

I felt a little weird doing that, but wasn't doing it to fool anyone - I just liked the French Maid character model and felt like a little digital crossdressing. :)

Aside from that, I've always made sure to spell out exactly what I am (in my profile) - when I present myself en femme online.

I belong to other online communities as my man-self and they have no idea I crossdress.

Samantha43
02-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Digital crossdressing???

Does my female Mii character on Wii count? :D

sometimes_miss
02-06-2009, 09:11 PM
I once created a fake female identity on a dating site just to see what kind of responses they get. Wow. And I just had used a stock photo of an average looking woman in what I estimated to be in her mid thirties. The sheer number of guys who responded was astounding. I updated the ad daily to keep it in the active participant lists if people searched, and usually got at least 20 hits a day, often as many as 60; a lot of them were kind of 'spam' letters, not specific to my ad but just indicating general interest to see if I would respond to them. Kind of made me understand why lots of women never even read letters after a while. I can see how it would be hard to keep up with, and after a few days of sifting through all the junk, it's easier to just delete it all.

trisha11
02-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I guess I have never pretended to be female online, I have always been honest with everyone, I have met some nice people and some not so nice people, but I feel that honesty is the best policy
trisha

Rachel Morley
02-06-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm kinda boring and don't do the online forum thing (except here) .... but if I did, I don't think my conscious would allow me to pretend to be a woman amongst a group of GGs. I can't do that kinda level of deception. However, if like you it was a case of just not volunteering certain information then that might be ok I suppose but if asked I'd have to tell or I'd hate myself so much.

Alice Torn
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Sometimes Miss, Why am I not surprised!? I put some modest, but attractive pic on several sites, and, yes, wow, the guys were hitting, wanting to know me. I told some of them I was a cd, but, some kept trying! I observe, that women, that are even slightly attrtactive, or more, are "rainforested by interested men! It seems to be raining men, to them, whereas, single men, are lonely, like living in a dry desert, with no rain, not even a drop, of interested women!!! When we post as women, we see this frustrating, crazymaking dynamic. I wish, and pray, that women still needed or wanted older bachelors, who are not millionaires. We are stuck in the dry desert, while they are rained on by lonely men.

Susan.
02-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Karren, my GG friend on this board immediately recognized you from the makeup forum when she joined. She didn't mind CDers there at all.

AliceJaneInNewcastle
02-06-2009, 10:08 PM

Personally when I first signed up on "That Makeup Forum" which was inhabited mainly by women... I didn't say what I was and wrote my intro so that everything was true but I didn't say I was a guy.. So I started participating and realized that they were a pretty accepting bunch of girls.... So one thread about being bashed online I posted something about what happened to me on IM and one girl asked if they did that because I was a woman... Ahhhhh. NO!! And so I told them my story and they were cool with it...
I did something similar with an Australian forum called beauty heaven, outing myself after a few days. I'd posted real avatars and they didn't realise that I wasn't female. I made off-handed remarks about looking totally different without makeup, then ramped it up to looking like a guy without makeup before someone actually asked me outright and I said yes. In the meantime, I'd asked an open "what do you think of crossdressers" question and got universally positive responses, including several who had real life CD and TS friends. Most of the regulars on there have since sent me friend requests on facebook.

I had a short period of putting photos up on hotornot without contact or information to see how attractive I'd rate just purely on the photo. The reason why I stopped posting photos there wouldn't comply with the forum rules here about commenting about other web sites...

On every other site (yahoo360, myspace, facebook, blogger, etc) I've been honest about being a CD and had very little negative response. I think that at one stage on 360, people had to be my friend before they could see that I was a CD, and I had one girl who became my friend, realised that I was a CD, sent me a "sorry but I can't handle your lifestyle" message and dumped me. I made sure from then on that anybody looking at my profile could see that I was a CD.

I still get people who don't notice. I haven't had any negativity, but a few have admitted surprise when they realised it.

Alice

Sally24
02-07-2009, 06:15 AM
When I was playing in a multiplayer game online (City of Heroes) my name was female and my characters were always female. Never had a problem and it was fun! Once had an all girl team (yeah right! wonder how many were male) and had this big hulk of a guy join us and ask "Is this an all girlie group?". Haven't played for awhile, could afford the time or the money every month.

charlie
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Hello Karren!
You not only are accepted on the Makeup forum, you are one of the stars! When I signed on (from one of your responses here) I really wanted to know about products and their applications. I asked all my questions as neither a male or a female. I did post my picture though, so that had to be a clue! Still, I get responses to my makeup questions and the General forum just like anyone else.

Michelle A
02-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I do pretend to be female online but to me it is much like crossdressing, I am roleplaying as a woman. I keep facts the same except for the male/female thing. I have been in political discussions groups, book discussusion clubs(some for women only), role playing games and fantasy sports leagues. No one has said anything or has cared. It feels good to express that part of me even when I can not dress.

Carly D.
02-07-2009, 04:41 PM
A few times I have pretended to be a woman.. once while on a game site I was having a long losing streak and this guy was being.. the way guys can be (horny shall we say) and I had a sign in name that was gender questionable and the guy started messaging me.. first with the all important "m or f " question.. I answered "f" and that started the ball rolling about a sexual fantasy meanwhile the clock is ticking down on his turn.. I get a cheap but drasticly needed win and he got a girlfriend.. haven't been back really regular since.. go figure why.. but for like e-mails with "you may win this or that all you have to do is give us this information.." you know the scam.. I fill some of the spaces in as some womans name I create on the spot.. never either my real (male) name or my made up female name..

flatlander_48
02-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I am on myspace, tagged, here, just joined sugar, tgirls-myspace, lvtg, adultfriendfinder, urnotalone and I present as transgendered on them all, get tired of guys always asking about my genitals even though it says what I am none of their buisness, they get mad but I could care less to explain 20 times a day what I am about and who I am. got to the point of just ignoring them, Tagged is really accepting from the female end there.

You understand that there are some guys looking to get "done" by a CD/TV. Not sure exactly what their deal is. My guess is that they either like Everything, All Ways or they are in denial about their own situation. But, curious behavior, nonetheless...

Anyway, to the subject at hand...

I usually don't make any particular kind of declaration. My writing is usually non-specific regarding gender, as is my nom de 'net. Essentially my stance is Don't Ask, Don't Tell. All totaled, I am a member of 10 or 12 message boards for CDing, Motorsports and Cycling (unfortunately, no overlap, unless there is a CD somewhere who drives race cars and does Cycling for fitness!). Since I don't know anyone personally on any of the boards (except for one person on one of the Motorsports boards, turned out we worked at the same place) I take others at face value and trust that they do the same for me. I think that once people find out that you are not who they THOUGHT you were, sometimes they behave differently. Their predispositions can come into play and that may not be good...

Angie G
02-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Karren are you saying I should stop saying hun.I never realized it sounded fake.:hugs:
Angie

epsxyblkm
02-07-2009, 10:59 PM
I have to say that I have always made sure that anyone that I spoke to online knew that I was born a man. But I dress, and like to feel like a woman.

I found that I find more pretenders wanting to speak to me. But hey what can you do?

marny
02-08-2009, 01:17 AM
I always play Jeopardy online as a girl. It's pretty easy not to get caught. Alex doesn't do the interview in the online version! :lol:

TG-Taru
02-08-2009, 03:46 AM
On some sites I don't care. If it's more official, I use my real male info. Gaming or feminine related, I always, always play female characters, and am non specific referring to myself except when actually role playing the character. I don't lie if asked, but avoid gender pronouns. In online games I've been with one guild for about 10 years, and in a couple on the side a bit. Asides from the guild leader they only know me by my original character's female name, and a few either (still) don't know (not having paid that much attention - I'd set them straight if situation required) or forget and refer to me as female - which is nice :)

For dating I'd not mislead or omit, nor for making friends where it would matter at all.

And I really dislike chatrooms, staying out of those.

Lisa Golightly
02-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Hmmmmm... I only tend to join forums to ask specific questions from experts... I tend not to understand a word they say though... As for the girl thing... well... pre hormones on the BMW site I was just male me ... I was getting a very wet bottom as the windows on the car would lower themselves in the middle of the night when it was raining... ewwwwwwwwwww... Soggy tights!!! The post hormone ones I'm just Lisa... Mobile phone sites in the main... I do like my handbag candy ;)

Rachel B
02-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Digital crossdressing???

Does my female Mii character on Wii count? :D

Since updating the Xbox my 360 avatar is now female.......Plus I almost always create a female character in games that allow you to choose......

:heehee:

Rach

Sheila
02-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Pretending online?

I think a lot of that goes on here :D:heehee::heehee: :tongueout:tongueout

Karren H
02-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I think a lot of that goes on here :D:heehee::heehee: :tongueout:tongueout

Nahhhh.... I'd be shocked and amazed..... lol

Sheila
02-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Nahhhh.... I'd be shocked and amazed..... lol

Really, now i am shocked and amazed :heehee::heehee:

Robynts
02-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Long before Robyn was loose on line, and at the request of a wonderful girl I worked with (who did not know about Robyn) I made up a sexy screen name on AOHell. I then proceeded to "bump into" this girl's husband. Did he ever hit on me. Got himself into a ton of trouble with his wife (my friend). Luckly for him she did not divorce him.

I kept that AOHell name and was on many chat groups and forums with it, but eventually I outgrew it.

Robyn

Ballerina
02-08-2009, 11:59 PM
*raises hand* Guilty as charged! I've played the role of a woman many a times on various online games. Never done forums, though *hmmm*.

I have to laugh because that is what my GF and I rag about all the time on our games. You can ALWAYS tell when a guy is trying to be a girl because they over use "hun". They also end up coming off as a high energy tweeny-bop girl and nothing natural, lol.

Lorileah
02-09-2009, 12:05 AM
*raises hand* Guilty as charged! I've played the role of a woman many a times on various online games. Never done forums, though *hmmm*.

I have to laugh because that is what my GF and I rag about all the time on our games. You can ALWAYS tell when a guy is trying to be a girl because they over use "hun". They also end up coming off as a high energy tweeny-bop girl and nothing natural, lol.
Oh hun I don't think so hun, (giggles), now I must be off to the mall TTYL Hun

linnea
02-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I've done a little "pretending," but it hasn't lasted long because I didn't really want to go into that world. And if the guys think that you are a woman are really awful.

TG-Taru
02-09-2009, 04:12 AM
*You can ALWAYS tell when a guy is trying to be...

Ah well, I did manage to forget the wording of the topic there - I don't pretend, or try. I'm just being me. I'm happy to let people assume everything matches the character but I'm not changing my behaviour or mannerisms.

Amanda Shaft
02-09-2009, 04:20 AM
I#m on a couple of 'social networking' sites and I have in each case ticked the female gender box, I do however also add in my profile that I'm a TG girl. It seems that most guys don't read my profile as a great number have 'hit' on me. One in particular was most disapointed when he finaly realised, I told him that I thought he knew as it says so 'on the tin'. So I don't think I pretend, it's just me being me.
Amanda

sally1980
02-09-2009, 04:50 AM
I am one of those that doesn't have any other sites
However I think i would prefer to be considered female.
If I join any sites I will let see anddecide then.

Sherry
02-11-2009, 03:51 AM
This is the first time I have had the freedom to be a woman in a pubic kind of way for over twenty years so this is a real release for me
Sherry

Kerrie Sifton
02-20-2009, 04:21 AM
Too bad there is not a third gender to choose from..
Cause some days... I would prefer not to be male, but there are also those days when I am not really female...
an intersex option would be a start with a sub category... skirts or no skirts... :D

victoriamwilliams1
02-20-2009, 06:33 AM
I did on one site that was for women but I never interacted. I am on myspace and I never say male of female and I get those knuckle heads asking me out even when I say I am married. I learned very quickly what women go through! I have even been asked out by a few women too. Not many problems on flickr.

Ralph
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM

That's (kind of) how I met my wife! My story goes back to the days of 300 baud modems, BBSes, and other pre-internet dinosaur technology. So when I talk about "chat room" I mean this system where a bunch of people would dial their modems into a computer in some guy's house where he had like 8 or 16 phone lines connected to one PC.

I was dating a geek girl I had met on a chat line and BBS, and one day I got the idea into my head to hang out with her in disguise to see what she would say about me. I arbitrarily picked "Dorothy Gale" as my handle and started hanging out in our favorite chat room. Not only did I have fun yanking her chain, but I also played mind games with the idiot hormonal teen boys who couldn't stop hitting on one of the few girls online (don't get me started about how annoying it is to be around people who think they can't have a conversation without knowing name, age, gender, etc.)

I finally gave in and let her in on the secret, and after she stopped being annoyed at me we had a good laugh out of it. But Dorothy took on a life of her own (yes, this is the same guy who says he never uses a female name or takes on a complete female persona when he dresses). I went to a Halloween party as Dorothy - deliberately didn't shave for two weeks before that so I had a good scraggly beard - and I started a BBS of my own where I ran it as the sysop "Dorothy". That was about the time I realized that dressing wasn't just a passing fad or a joke for me - I was hooked.

It was Dorothy who met the woman that eventually became my wife. As soon as I got interested in her conversationally I made sure she knew I was a guy; we were up all night for the next three nights getting to know each other and we were talking marriage and children before we ever met in person.

I told her that my BBS friends always got together for dinner on Friday nights and left her a dozen messages that week to join us. So when a new face showed up at dinner that night I assumed it had to be her and ran to meet her. I rumbled in my deepest voice "Hi, I'm Dorothy" (no, I wasn't dressed - I only felt I could get away with that in "costume appropriate" venues). Funny thing, she had been at work all day and never got any of my messages. She found out about the dinners on her own and thought she was going to surprise me.

So anyway, yeah, I've been using female alter egos online for over 20 years.

On Second Life I have two accounts. One is my Ralph account where I almost always present as a bearded male avatar wearing frilly dresses; the other has a gender-neutral name (not even a person's name - a computer term) who almost always presents as a GG... but just because I can't do anything "normal", my GG is short, severely overweight, bowlegged, has an overbite and wears thick glasses. It's my little protest against the way SL users all have pinup/barbiedoll avatars (it's my theory that you can tell it's a guy driving the female avatar when she's 9 feet tall, has a 3 inch waist, and a rack the size of three Dolly Partons).

Amusingly, my GG avatar has won several contests - I won't call them "beauty contests" per se, more outfit theme contests like "Best in Pink", "Best in red, white, and blue", etc.

ralph