PDA

View Full Version : Cross Dresser Vs Drag Queen... you decide!

IDealinDreams
02-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Okay, so I guess I can't consider myself a true cross dresser yet because, well, I have never cross dressed before! It's something I really want to do, and yet, at the same time, I haven't decided if I really should yet.

See... and hopefully I don't offend people with this opinion, but this is honestly the way I see it... I may not be the most hardcore cross dresser, even after I start, because I look at cross dressing as more an artistic statement and/or style thing... I'm a musician of sorts and my friends and I record demos... I always wanted to be a singer, but after taking lessons and trying out my voice in all sorts of different ways, I decided that, to put it bluntly, I simply could not sing.

But - and this is where things get really weird - I recently discovered I have a different vocalizing talent... rap. Go ahead, have a good laugh; a cross dressing, rapping white boy? Sure, it's funny, but how funny must Matisyahu have sounded before he got big (for those of you who don't know, Matisyahu is a hasidic Jew who's famous for his reggae music - REGGAE, for Bowie's sake!)?

Okay, okay, I got a bit off topic, so sorry, I'll get to the point now. I'm at a cross roads with this whole cross dressing thing, because I only want to do it if I can do it 'right'. I suppose saying there is a 'right' way to cross dress is pretty incredulous, and that's why I said before I didn't mean to offend anyone - but if I'm not capable of making myself look like a real (and pretty!) girl, then quite frankly, I don't want to do it at all. The last thing I want is to be a flat out drag queen.

So I posted a picture in my profile, and if you need more to decide, you can find them at www.myspace.com/ChaseNewKillerStar. What are you deciding? Well, if you think I can do it or not! Am I too masculine looking? Too fat? Too skinny? Whatever your reasons, please give them too me, but don't go too hard on me, I break easily. : (

My fate is in your hands, people!

P.S. Just so everyone doesn't flame me as a 'fake' or a 'phony', I guess I should clarify that my heart really is set in cross dressing... I am very feminine, I think, but the only reason I mentioned it as an art or style thing is because I don't think I'm nearly as hardcore as most people on here. For example, I don't actually enjoy shopping for shoes or whatever, I only care about the end result... I don't honestly care much what I'm wearing as long as I pull the look off!

Louise2009
02-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Well having had a look at the photo in your profile i would say that with very little effort you could pass as female.
Don't forget though that you need to study GGs and try and copy how they walk,flick their hair,cross their legs etc.

DemonicDaughter
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Technically, those who dress as female specifically for artistic or entertainment purposes are considered Drag Queens. I'm one and I'm a genetic female. I don't consider being one such a bad thing and neither should you. Being a DQ has nothing to do with gender nor sexuality, only the personal enjoyment of being artistically feminine.

Now, back to your piccies... I think you'd need very little effort to look feminine and definitely think you should go for it! :D Keep us posted on your decision and/or progress!

NICOLETV
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
girl i think u are fine and it would not take 2 much for u to be passable,god u should see what i look like in male mode before i transform, so be what u wanna be and enjoy it

Daliah
02-10-2009, 03:25 PM
... - but if I'm not capable of making myself look like a real (and pretty!) girl, then quite frankly, I don't want to do it at all. The last thing I want is to be a flat out drag queen.......

I am very new to this and feel the same way that I want to do this only if I look pretty enough (I know this is subjective). Not necessary passable since I am 6'1" barefeet. I am thinking about getting a makeover session to see how much I can transform when I get my tax return back.

I agree with other comments it will take just little effort for you to be passable unlike me.

DemonicDaughter
02-10-2009, 03:27 PM
I am very new to this and feel the same way that I want to do this only if I look pretty enough (I know this is subjective). Not necessary passable since I am 6'1" barefeet. I am thinking about getting a makeover session to see how much I can transform when I get my tax return back.

I agree with other comments it will take just little effort for you to be passable unlike me.

On average I wear platform shoes that make me well over 6 feet tall... height is NOT a factor in passing :)

Samantha B L
02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi there Idealindreams, I looked at your myspace profile pic and you could pass for a female very easily. As Louise has pointed out take a few weeks to study the gait and speech of a wide demographic of women. I've noticed that sometimes women use words in the sentences they form which are different than the ones used by guys. They also move their hands and arms differently than guys when they talk.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse,but I more or less consider myself to be kind of a dragqueen. I'm a musician but that's not exactly why I tend to think of myself as a dragqueen. I'm not very passable so I tend to favor kind of a party wigs look. And there was a time,maybe 35 or 40 years ago when the general public looked on anybody who crossdressed or even just put on a wig and makeup and a top as a "Transvestite" or a "Drag Queen"

Chase,your white rapper thing sounds interesting and best of luck. And I understand what your talking about when you say you want to do the crossdressing thing "right". You want your legs shaved and you want the hairstyle,the clothes,the makeup,etc.to be either perfect or at least real good. I guess I'd have to say practice the posture,the walk,the hair,makeup,clothes in the mirror and digicam yourself! Study the pictures and notice what looks both fem and best.

Samantha

Lorileah
02-10-2009, 03:49 PM
P.S. Just so everyone doesn't flame me as a 'fake' or a 'phony', I guess I should clarify that my heart really is set in cross dressing... I am very feminine, I think, but the only reason I mentioned it as an art or style thing is because I don't think I'm nearly as hardcore as most people on here. For example, I don't actually enjoy shopping for shoes or whatever, I only care about the end result... I don't honestly care much what I'm wearing as long as I pull the look off!

3 posts in and you already know some of the people here will explode over what you have written. You are not as fragile as you say :)

Here's the deal. We are not the Stepford wives. You gotta "Go where you wanna go do what you always wanna do...." Ok you are too young to remember the Mamas and Papas. You can do it. The only thing that can stop any one is time or money and you can usually work around the money part. There is a group of performers here in Denver who dress and a requirement to be in the group is you must have facial hair. March to your own drummer. I would say that Vanilla Ice was a white boy rapper but not with a straight face. Hey we all don't fit in the same cubby.

BTW, you look mahvelous. Life is short, only regret what you DIDN'T do

shesadvl
02-10-2009, 05:19 PM
3 posts in and you already know some of the people here will explode over what you have written. You are not as fragile as you say :)

Here's the deal. We are not the Stepford wives. You gotta "Go where you wanna go do what you always wanna do...." Ok you are too young to remember the Mamas and Papas. You can do it. The only thing that can stop any one is time or money and you can usually work around the money part. There is a group of performers here in Denver who dress and a requirement to be in the group is you must have facial hair. March to your own drummer. I would say that Vanilla Ice was a white boy rapper but not with a straight face. Hey we all don't fit in the same cubby.

BTW, you look mahvelous. Life is short, only regret what you DIDN'T do

laffing Lorileah .. you crack me up..but what a good answer "we are not the stepford wives" laffing ..:tongueout you can smack me for being cheeky but yanno thats me :devil:

Yes I agree be who you are not what or whom anyone else wants you to be.
Dont have any regrets in what you do in life ,as it is for living and if thats what you want to do IDealinDreams go do it,live it to the fullest.
If the Movie "priscilla queen of the desert" and the stage show of the same, can be a guide, the likes of Boy George, Bowie, and other musicians as well as what is mentioned above, by others, then the worlds your oyster , you can only but try it out, if it doesnt fit or work try something else find what YOU are happiest with, its what YOU think not others.Enjoy and have loads of fun.By the way if you find a good makeup artist hang on to her/him they are and can be your best buddies, in things like this.
IDealinDreams by the way I had a look at your Blog pic profile on a first glance I think you are better looking then BOY GEORGE, minus the hat.,

CharleneT
02-10-2009, 06:35 PM
As the others have said, you are young and blessed with a feminine face to start with { jealous rant edited out - just joking ... }

My advice is based on years of not doing what I wanted. Don't be too cautious, you will regret that sometime. You are young, enjoy yourself. At your age you can easily get away with some "experiementation" - under that very flag ! When you are in the later part of life, sudden changes in looks and personality are not accepted so easily. My last advice: DO NOT WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT DOING IT "right". Good dancers aren't born dancing, they learn to get good at it etc...

MissConstrued
02-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Go ahead, have a good laugh; a cross dressing, rapping white boy?

Feminem!

charlie
02-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Hello Dreams!
Welcome to the forum. I hope that if you do go forward you find this collection of people on the forum as helpful and idea rich as any I have met. Also, just by reading and asking questions here you will find that you are not as weird and different as you may often think you are. That all said, I haven't read any of the other comments yet. I did look at your photo though and think that with some makeup help, a bit of studying how ladies walk and talk, and checking out some styles you can transform into a very pretty woman with little effort. Many of us look like a man in a dress. You I think can do much better!

Chloe' Buffington
02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Its not a bad thing, right? You have a natural beauty and would take very little to reach for the level you seek. I just want to have fun and I know I can't pass , you won't have that problem you look good and with practice you will look GREAT. Good luck with the music too.

:hugs: Chloe'

Sammy777
02-11-2009, 12:17 AM
I say go for it!

If by not wanting to be a drag queen you mean that you want a more natural regular girl look I don't think you will have much problem pulling that off.

dragdoll
02-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Feminem!

yes! that rules.

and to the OP: go for it. we need more transgendered musicians.

scarlet
02-11-2009, 01:02 AM
DragDoll You beat me to the thought on Missconstrued's Post That is so perfect. Also sweet shoes in avitar pic.
I DealinDreams you dont need to be dreaming you could easily make whatever you want a reality.Enjoy:hugs: Scarlet

docrobbysherry
02-11-2009, 01:26 AM
If u knew ANYTHING about CDing, u'd know it's hard work to actually pass as a female and look very pretty! And, some of us have do that AND CHEAT like crazy, to look just a little bit pretty!:brolleyes:

In your case, u could look as pretty as u WANT to look! BUT, that will require that u;

Learn how to dress. And/or, get expert help.
Learn how to put on make up and wigs. And/or, get expert help.
Learn how to coordinate all the female elements. And/or get expert help.
Learn where and how, to get the fem things u NEED to look good. AND get expert help!

Or, u can do it like I did. Take 8 to 10 years to PARTIALLY figure out SOME of the things I've listed!:eek:

IDD, the good news is; U could EASILY look like a girl. :heehee: The BAD news: Looking like a really pretty, HOT girl, will require a concerted effort!:doh:

Lisa Golightly
02-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Speaking as an artist... Yes you can. Yoh have a build and a bone structure that will enable you to look good, but don't expect to look stunning right out of the box... As I said to someone the other day my first attempts with makeup made me look like the Joker :)

Never been called hardcore before... kinda like that... lol ;)

IDealinDreams
02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks everyone! Wow, transgender people/cross dressers/whatever label you'd like to use are the nicest people anywhere! Not one post was to flame me, and given that I got a decent amount of responses, I was fully expecting a "you'z R so mascoolin u r such a d00d", or a "how dare you disrespect the sacred art of CDing, you are a fake, a phony, etc, etc"...

Thanks all! And since I got such support... I WILL give it a shot! But you all better not be wrong...

Kitty Sue
02-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I love the Drag Queen look and really want to get into that side of my personality. I have always been fairly flamboyant.:heehee:

Nicole Erin
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
there are many levels of people in any part of the gender spectrum.
Some merely acknowledge the fact in their own mind that being CD is part of their personna, and some live full time CD'ed.

Heck with labels, the important thing is to decide how you want to do things.

I guess if we HAD to do labels - a CD is someone who enjoys wearing clothes of the opposite sex, and a drag queen is someone who dresses like a woman to do shows.

I think you might be more CD but it doesn't matter, do what you like. CD or DQ, one can be both.

JoAnne Wheeler
02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
You look like a Crossdresser to me - for what its worth

JoAnne Wheeler

Ralph
02-23-2009, 04:05 PM
but if I'm not capable of making myself look like a real (and pretty!) girl, then quite frankly, I don't want to do it at all. The last thing I want is to be a flat out drag queen.

No offense taken, and welcome to the club! But I do think you need to have a better understanding of the terminology. I can't speak for the others here, but I reserve "drag queen" as a disparaging remark for people who intentionally make a caricature of womanhood, with clownish makeup, ridiculous wigs, and wildly sexualized, flamboyant clothing.

Not everyone who crossdresses wants to look like a woman OR a drag queen - there are a number of us who are just more comfortable in skirts than pants. I'm probably more of a minimalist than most folks here - I never shave, wear makeup, or do anything else to look like I have a female body; I just wear the clothes that make me comfortable. And while I'm in the minority, others have said they do the same - so I'm not alone either.

Whatever your motivation - performance art, exploring your inner girl, trying to pass as a woman, an extra kink to spice up your sex life, or just relaxing - find the level that feels right to YOU and explore it. Retain as much or as little of the man as you think you ought to be, and don't let anyone tell you it's wrong. You said it yourself, there is no "right" way to crossdress... go with your instincts, and enjoy.

ralph

Kate Simmons
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
It's all in the "wrist" Hon. What I'm saying is that it's not how good or bad you look en femme, it's how convinced you are to be who you want to be. That will determine how convincing you are to others. I do pretty well myself, even though I never went to CD "finishing school".;):battingeyelashes::)

Nicki B
02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
..if I'm not capable of making myself look like a real (and pretty!) girl, then quite frankly, I don't want to do it at all.

I would suggest an awful lot of people here can relate to that - and is one reason why some of them only dress partially, or under-dress? :idontknow:

Never been called hardcore before... kinda like that... lol ;)

I wouldn't ever consider putting you under the patio... :heehee: