PDA

View Full Version : Chances you willingly pass up

Emeralddragon
02-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Ok I only found out the other day that my college is doing some Drag event for some 4th year bash of some kind (I dont pay much attention in college) and it had me stop and think for a moment.

On one hand its a great chance to dress up and have fun for a while without any consequences.

On the other I might end up looking like the image used on the posters and in the emails which I personally wouldnt feel comfortable with. Not that theres anything wrong with the over the top drag type stuff it just isnt my kind of thing.

I'll be going to the event cos its for a good cause but I chose to pass up the chance to dress cos it just wasnt me. Kinda feels like Im missing out though. Ah well. I'll stick in the image they used.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1335/3image002wz5.png
http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3image002wz5.png

Karren H
02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't even think about it just go do it!! Else some day you will regret that you didn't!! Now go sign up!!

Tomara
02-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree , go and have some fun !

Tomara

Want to be Lisa
02-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Sounds to me like a great opportunity.

Beth785
02-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I say throw inhibition to the wind and go! What does it matter how you come out dressed as? Just so long as you have fun. You will kick yourself later for not going.

westt
02-10-2009, 06:37 PM
I should be the last one to say this, but I would say to do it! Does sound like a lot of fun. Besides, most cd's talk about how we regret missing opportunities, but I rarely hear one of us said they regretted going out. But yeah, I am a hypocrite

Emeralddragon
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I dunno. Thing is it seems to be nothing more than a big gag which is fine and all but it just doesnt seem like it would be for me. The main reason is that I mainly dress as a form of relaxation and to just unwind ya know. I think if I were to be in that kind of setting Id be on edge more often than not. Cant explain why its just the way Im feeling right now.

MichelleP
02-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Wow. I don't see a downside to this event. Just do it and have fun!

Lisa Golightly
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I dunno. Thing is it seems to be nothing more than a big gag which is fine and all but it just doesnt seem like it would be for me. The main reason is that I mainly dress as a form of relaxation and to just unwind ya know. I think if I were to be in that kind of setting Id be on edge more often than not. Cant explain why its just the way Im feeling right now.

I know how you feel... If it's outside your comfortzone then give it a miss...

I'd have taken the day off if it had happened in my college... It would just make me cringe.

Tina B.
02-10-2009, 11:56 PM
If you changed your mind, you would have to remember not to do it to well, or you might raise eyebrows, most guys just don't have enough practice wearing heels, or sitting in a skirt. But it just might be fun to see if you could pull off a makeup job like the picture! Just remember they are only playing, as long as it's in a good humor, and not insulting. It's like getting an extra Halloween!
Tina

dragdoll
02-11-2009, 12:34 AM
well it looks like you have 8 months to prepare for the event so i say go for it. plus its for a good cause.

Emeralddragon
02-11-2009, 05:35 AM
Er, no, I think it was yesterday. Hadn't you spotted that Emerald Dragon is in Ireland? Here in Europe we write dates logically: day/month/year.

Exactly. See we do things right in terms of writing dates. :tongueout

Ya see i have 2 main worries about the event. One is that it is being organised by a member of the students union that seems more intent on getting a comedic show going than something even semi respectable. The second is that the LGBT society coordinator who is in the very same students union is having no input whatsoever so it will not have any voice of reason behind it steering it in the right direction.

Senban
02-11-2009, 06:37 AM
This isn't what I'd suggest you should do, just my opinion if I found myself in similar circumstances. I just wondered how I'd feel if that was an event going on here.

Part of me says well, it would be fun and it would be an opportunity to go out dressed so to speak.

But then part of me says, no wait. This isn't an opportunity for me to go out dressed. This is an event making something I do into a joke. Too many people see crossdressers as larger-than-life drag queens and a joke (in my personal experience) and all this event would be doing is reinforcing that image.

I've seriously got no problem with people having fun by dressing in outrageous costumes for fun or charity or whatever but I really don't think I could personally get involved in that side of things as a way to dress in plain sight for a few hours. I can see how it would appeal to some perhaps but I'd rather just attend the event dressed as any other girl would do and enjoy myself that way. Like I say though, this is just me thinking out loud about how I'd approach this if it was me in that situation and your mileage may vary :)

Malori Cross
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM

I'm with you, Emerald. I'd pass it up. There's a similar fundraising event being held (3rd year) in a nearby town that seems to draw a big crowd. One of the sponsors is a family friend, who I think suspects I'm a CD, and outing myself--even in such a benign setting--would have negative consequences for me (and my wife, in her professional life).

I actually think such events only underscore the stereotype that "crossdressers are queers."