PDA

View Full Version : Cross Dressing Expenses

IDealinDreams
02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
So basically, I am a victim of our current economic depression a while back... I was released from my job... I have no money. I am looking hard for a new job, anywhere, doing anything, but I was wondering, how much money do you think it'll cost to just cross dress once, just for one night? Include getting one decent outfit, shoes, a wig, and makeup... don't worry about stuff like getting fake breasts, that's just not me...

JoanAz
02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Go to ALL the local thrift store,,
you should be able to get what you want for less than $25
Good Luck:)

beenherelongtime
02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
i think that is a low estimate. but i would wait until i had a job, because $25 is a lot of money when you are not working and have no prospects, if this is a first time effort, it can wait. we all, especially this forum members, must learn patience.

CharleneT
02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Not sure about where you live, but here in Iowa, at Good Will they have clothes on sale once a week for 25 cents per item. Be it a t-shirt or full winter coat. Each item has a colored tag and the sale is for everything with a specific color for the day. The next day it is 1/2 off. If you are careful, even $1 can get you an entire outfit.

Deidra Cowen
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Wigs...I have seen them really cheap like on ebay. Maybe 20 bucks. Like some of the girls say...you could go to a thrift and maybe for 25 bucks get shoes, a skirt and a top.

Makeup is tough...even at the drug store or walmart it adds up.

But lets just say ya go for foundation, powder, one eye shadow, eye liner and lipstick. Heck maybe if super careful ya could get it all for 30 bucks...but maybe it would take 50 dollars.

So I would say to totally dress the low cost would be 100 dollars. CDing is expensive!!! Sorry for your troubles sweetie and I hope you find a job very soon.

trannie T
02-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Finding a cheap wig will be difficult, if you have big feet as I do finding shoes will be very difficult. The rest can be done on the cheap, but will still be over $25, thrift store things can be very fashionable and affordable but makeup is not cheap. Being unemployed gives you the advantage of having plenty of time to search out bargains. I wish you good luck in finding a decent job and wish you well on venturing out.

unwritten2108
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I can agree with everyone else. An outfit you can get pretty cheap (eBay can have some great deals). But the make-up can get pricey. I think my first stash of products ran me about $55. But I've heard people replenishing their makeup collections spending over $400!!! :eek:

In summary, it's possible to get away cheap, but you'll need around $50-75 to get some decent stuff.

docrobbysherry
02-12-2009, 12:01 AM
They were $2 to $5 each. That was when I was just starting to CD. Some were decent, some were crap! I didn't know the difference back then!:o

U can buy decent wigs mail order now, for $15 to $25, if u wait for a sale!:)

marny
02-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Oh C'mon!!! I'm worried about my next meal and where to sleep. What do i care what clothes are on my back unless i intend to die in them. Sorry DREAMS but who are you trying to kid?

Persephone
02-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Lost of good suggestions already about where to get clothes on the cheap.

If you shop some of the low price lines at the drug stores, I think you could get makeup for $10 to $15.

Or, if you have guts, and don't mind sort of ripping someone off, for that one special evening you could go to one of the deparment store makeup counters and let them apply a really nice collection of makeup and then not buy anything, but that's really pulling a ripoff.

But wait a minute -- if you're broke and only doing it for one night . . . uh, you aren't actually planning a heist, al la Dick and Jane, are you?

IDealinDreams
02-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Oh C'mon!!! I'm worried about my next meal and where to sleep. What do i care what clothes are on my back unless i intend to die in them. Sorry DREAMS but who are you trying to kid?

Uh, is that hostility I sense? Maybe, maybe not. I don't get what you're trying to say exactly... are you saying you are worried about your next meal... if so, I feel bad, I really do, but I assure you I wasn't trying to be petty at your expense... in the much more likely event you were saying I'm worried about my next meal since I don't have a job right now, you're wrong; I'm actually only 23, with college hopefully very, very soon in my future if all pans out right, and I live with my Mother right now, so don't worry, my meals are secure...

...until she finds out and kicks me right out of the house, that is!

Corsetted Nikki
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I would warn you that if you are a CD, I think it is unlikely that you will just dress for one night. It's like tasting forbidden fruit. Once you start, you're going to want to do it more and you're going to want to buy more. I, for one, am well known for being frugal and not doing financially unwise things, but I do have a soft spot for my dressing. I hope you have great willpower.

Angie G
02-12-2009, 11:25 AM
You may not find shoes you like that fit or a wig there but thrift stores are great places to save money hun. Check some out. And good luck job hunting.:hugs:
Angie

suzypier
02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
It always started by once and you will be hooked like all of us. :)

StacyCD
02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't like to do anything cheaply! However, doing things inexpensively is smart! Clearly, spending a lot of money for something doesn't always get you something better. But on the bottom end of the scale you frequently get what you pay for!

JoannaCaroline
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
If you just want to put on feminine clothes, a wig and makeup. You can probably do it for less than $50. If you want to really like the way you look, it's at least going to take a little effort and probably a little more money.

The best solution is borrowing some or all of it for a one night experience. I'll be honest though, I don't let anyone except for my wife borrow my makeup. The rest I let friends borrow.

If you don't have friends that you can borrow from, get the clothes from a thrift store, but go to a wig store in whatever downtown you live near, for your wig. You need to try on wigs and find on you like. You can buy very cheap one at ebay or even find them at a thrift store (ewww!! can't go there) but you'll be happier if you see them 1st. Once your more experienced you may be able to buy wigs online and like and work with what you get. A wig in a downtown wigstore will generally cost between $30-300. I should know I have way too many that I never wear.

The makeup is a tough one. You can get it cheap but you won't like it. It will work for a one night dressing experience though. In the future when you're on to night 20 or 30, instead of night 1, you'll need to get some help with the buying and application of makeup.

Karren H
02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm spending 3 to 4 thousand a year on my hobby.. But you could probably get by at half that.. You could get by.. Not me!! Lol.

trisha59
02-12-2009, 01:59 PM
If you have any dollar stores around you might find several items you are looking for there. Nail polish and Nylons, Jewelry , etc.

Kate Simmons
02-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Being a woman (or just looking like one) is not cheap by any means. Never was, never will be. Females by their very nature are always more expensive than males. Part of the fun really.;):)