PDA

View Full Version : Free time explanations...?

Robyn2006
02-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Hey Girls,
Recently I've been having more and more of a problem explaining to all what the hell I do with my free time, particularly to my colleges at work. Being completely and comfortably in the closet, thank you very much, my free time seems to have become a topic of discussion of late. Of course, the answer is simple. I spend all my free time jumping the gender fence and becoming as femme as possible, but this is hardly something I'm wishing to share. Sadly perhaps, other than my work-a-day life (which is huge... HUGE!) and my life as Robyn, there is little else...

Wondering if any of you are in this quandary, finding that those gapping blocks of times spent in private glory has come back to haunt you, finding that it needs some sort of explanation. If so, what do you tell everyone? :confused:

Robyn

Robertacd
02-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Tell them what you do in your free time then.

You don't have to tell them you are dressed as a woman while you are doing it.

I mean I spend a lot of time on the computer when I am dressed. If someone who I am not out to asked what I did today I would say "I spent a lot of time on the computer".

marny
02-14-2009, 03:31 AM
gone fishing! How hard is that?

Mollyanne
02-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Hi Robyn, I like the answers that Roberta and Katie!!!!!
Or you could tell them you are a e-Bay shopaholic!!!!!

Mollyanne

xAnne_Mariex
02-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Lol I have this all the time. Luckily my mum knows so it's not as issue for me but yesterday when she got back from work she asked what i'd been upto so I just oh you know nothing really, just on the PS3 and stuff... She blatantly knew what I meant by stuff, but she just laughed and left it at that :heehee:

Rebecca Sue
02-14-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm a lumberjack and I'm o.k.

Lisa Golightly
02-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Think of the most boring, paint drying hobby imaginable... do a bit of research... bore them for half an hour... watch them avoid a conversation about your free time in the future. Harsh but effective ;)

Marjory
02-14-2009, 08:02 AM
I used to target shoot after work with some of the guys and I did some martial arts, exercise and photography at night. I would shop on the way home from target shooting exercise was at one tough club and was 100% male. Photography was for pictures of how I looked in the days before digital cameras. I always discussed guns... that shuts people up.

Kate Simmons
02-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Anyone demanding an accounting of your free time (unless it's your SO) is just being plain too nosy.

corrinediane
02-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Do you spend time with them after work? If you did in the past you'll have to give up some of your girl time and hang with the gang so to speak. If there being nosy tell them anything you want. You watch movies, practice on improving your culinary skills etc...It's none of there business.

AliceJaneInNewcastle
02-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Wondering if any of you are in this quandary, finding that those gapping blocks of times spent in private glory has come back to haunt you, finding that it needs some sort of explanation. If so, what do you tell everyone?
Personally, I'd very likely tell them the truth and point them to my facebook profile. :happy:

Assuming that you don't tell them the truth, make sure that whatever you decide to tell them is a dead end activity. Something that doesn't invite further questions for more detail.

The more complex the lie, the easier it is to fall apart.

Alice

Billijo49504
02-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Just tell them you are relaxing and enjoying your life....BJ

Karren H
02-14-2009, 11:51 AM
What free time?? I wish I had some.. I'd just tell them your hobby is collecting.... Artwork!! Kind of a streach but close enough!!

linnea
02-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Tell them what you do in your free time then.

You don't have to tell them you are dressed as a woman while you are doing it.

I mean I spend a lot of time on the computer when I am dressed. If someone who I am not out to asked what I did today I would say "I spent a lot of time on the computer".

As much as possible, I do this too: tell them (although in my own case, few ask) what you are doing. I spend quite a bit of time puttering around the house or banging on the computer ("for help, hit any key"), so I say that those are things I've been doing.
At other times, it can be more difficult because I was occupied trying on outfits, primping with my make-up and hair. Of course, I don't mention that, so I have to make something up.
However, the less made up the better (except for my face).

MissConstrued
02-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Wondering if any of you are in this quandary, finding that those gapping blocks of times spent in private glory has come back to haunt you, finding that it needs some sort of explanation. If so, what do you tell everyone?

If it's someone I feel like sharing with, I will. Otherwise, it's nobody's business what I do with my free time. I don't feel obligated to explain anything. I do have quite a few other hobbies, though, which makes it easy to develop some common ground.

Carly D.
02-14-2009, 04:26 PM
I've always said that cross dressing is a huge.. HUGE waste of time.. but I like it that way so what ya gonna do about it..

EryLynn
02-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Tell them you like to read books or magazines about some hobby that you DO know something about.

Could be building models, painting by the numbers, or whatever. Lisa's response is on track, but it doesn't have to be so boring that they look at you different.... just not interested.

As Arianna pointed out, they're either asking because they're nosy, or because they have a genuine interest in what you do and seeing if you would be interested in hanging out with them.

Just a thought,
EryLynn

chrystie
02-14-2009, 04:46 PM
I gotta laugh just a little,since I started dressing 24/7 there is very little questioning about how I spend my time.If your friends know you,they should have no problem accepting the "other" you,in a perfect world.

RylieCD
02-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Being one whose SO is on a Dont See/not around her policy, you can guess where I would like the free time to go to. But I would also like to get other things done, for the accomplishment and so when she asks what I have done all day I can actually say I did something.

kymberlyjean
02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Me Personally, I'd tell them I was looking for new places to hide the bodies since I used up all the good spots with the last bunch of co-workers that got too nosey.
But that's just me :D

justmetoo
02-15-2009, 12:12 AM
If it's someone I feel like sharing with, I will. Otherwise, it's nobody's business what I do with my free time. I don't feel obligated to explain anything. I do have quite a few other hobbies, though, which makes it easy to develop some common ground.

Me, too :)

Sally2005
02-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Just say you have a girl in your life... OR just say you don't mix work and personal life as a rule.

trannie T
02-15-2009, 01:36 AM
A year ago a buddy asked what I had done over the weekend. I told him I had gone to a club in reno. As he kept asking more specific questions I decided to tell him the truth. "I went to a gay bar that had a drag show, I wore a wig, makeup and a nice dress." It was hilarious he was absolutely stunned for several minutes. He quit asking what I do in my spare time after that.

Shari
02-15-2009, 07:13 AM
To borrow a great line from Humphrey Bogart's adversary in the movie "The Treasure of Sierra Madre"

Badges?
We ain't got no badges.
We don't need no badges.
I ain't got to show you any stinkin' badges!

They don't need to know.

Angie G
02-15-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't tell them anything about Angie I have lots of other thing I do to talk about thankfully.:hugs:
Angie

GnuHu
02-15-2009, 08:01 AM
I manage to be simultaneously friendly and aloof, and people seem to sense not to bother asking.

KarenS
02-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I am a person with a very technical job and an un-related technical hobby.

I usually tell people that ask that i was working on the computer. All of my friends and co-workers know I am working on a computer an enormous amount of time each day. It's also honest because I do that even when I am dressed. If they press for details, I start discussing computer code. Any language usually will do from Visual Basic, Pearl, C++, maybe reminisce about Fortran, or even the benefits of Unix over Windows, Red Hat and MAC OSs. Their eyes begin the roll back sequence pretty fast and they leave me alone.

They know I do that work as a hobby because they have seen results from it. They also know they should avoid the topic unless they really want to know.

{Look in the mirror and check your eyeballs and you will know the strategy above works.} lol :D

And, yes someday, they will likely get quite a different answer - that I was trying on some new dress or a new pair of pumps, or went shopping for some new bras 'cause I am wearing mine out. :love:

Beth785
02-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I love Lisa's answer! That's the one I would do. Just go on and on for hours on the details and intricacies of blank.

All kidding aside, though. What you do in your free time is your own damn business and you don't have to tell people anything.

sarahNZ
02-15-2009, 11:58 AM
"Well I spend the greater portion of my free time at home minding my own bloody business. you should try it some time"

always worked for me!

Sammy777
02-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Wondering if any of you are in this quandary, finding that those gapping blocks of times spent in private glory has come back to haunt you, finding that it needs some sort of explanation. If so, what do you tell everyone? :confused: Robyn

First you can tell the truth - in a dead pan comic sorta way.
Telling the truth can be funny when no one believes you, lol
And if Robyn ever got out -
Well hey I tried to tell you guys months ago but you didn't believe me.

If you can't pull that one off, this is one sure fire way to get them off your back...
Hey Bob how was the weekend what did you do?
Damn I lost another 5k trying to win back the 10k I lost last month.

OR

I went on another drinking bender......
Damn I hate waking up Sunday morning next to dead hookers.
You have a big back yard don't ya Joe????

That will quit the Q & A time at work, lol.

Sara Jessica
02-16-2009, 08:55 AM

"Well I spend the greater portion of my free time at home minding my own bloody business. you should try it some time"

always worked for me!

Both so very true.

But...

This does become more difficult when you are actually close friends with those you work with. And this doesn't start and end with colleagues. Friends and family may come a calling when we're indulging our feminine side, whether at home or out and about. Feeling the need to deceive them by lying about what I'm up to is an unfortunate reality of my personal situation. While I hate being deceitful about this, I see little alternative short of completely coming out to everyone I know (impractical for this girl).

Fortunately, my wife is aware of everything about me and she is able to run interference when called upon. She hates this as well, for largely the same reasons as I. And it really is a pain as we are forced to get our respective stories straight.

Charona
02-16-2009, 09:14 AM
I have an old Hammond organ. I have been known to tell people I spend my time playing with my organ. That usually stops them. Even better was the time when I had just put oil into the tone generator. I was able - truthfully - to say I had spent the evening oiling my organ.

JoAnne Wheeler
02-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Tell them that you are into the creation of art and that you spend a great deal of time on the computer learning the art forms

JoAnne Wheeler

MarcieM
02-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Recently I've been having more and more of a problem explaining to all what the hell I do with my free time
why would you possibly feel the need to tell anyone what you do in your free time?