PDA

View Full Version : When the nest begins to fill

Glenda
02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
In this day and age, it really shouldn't surprise any of us if our (grown) kids find themselves moving back home. A lay-off and separation from a spouse has landed one of my sons and his two children back home with me. I'm the only grandparent in town so I already see my kids and grandkids quite a bit. I suspect my son and grandkids will be living with me for at least several months and possibly much longer. The grandkids are happy and my son seems happier than he has in a while.

Which brings up the obvious question...........what about Glenda? I've been out of the closet for several years so it is not a surprise or new thing to anyone. I've decided continue being myself. Some days I dress as Glenda and others as Glen. My grandkids are too young to know that some may not approve although it is fully accepted by my family and friends. I suspect we'll all be better off learning love and acceptance from an early age and truly enjoy having the opportunity to read to, nurture and provide guidance for the little ones.

So, I'll continue living my life as I have other than helping provide for a few more. What about you? Would you slide back into the closet or stay out?

gennee
02-14-2009, 07:54 PM
I don't have grandkids yet but it's something to think about for future reference. My son and wife know I dress and I am always dressed around the house.

Gennee

Sandra
02-14-2009, 07:57 PM
I agree with what you're doing, after all you are out and it is your house to do as you please.

danielle_from_cal
02-14-2009, 08:00 PM
This is all hypothetical for me since I don't have kids or grandkids. If I had a son that knew about my dressing and he moved back into the house with his kids, I would probably check with him to make sure that he is okay with my dressing and to discuss a plan for how to make sure the kids know what it is all about. If handled properly your grandkids could learn a lot about tolerance and understanding. If not, they could suffer a bit of unwarranted shame or confusion. It sounds to me that you are handling this properly. Good for you!

Tasha McIntyre
02-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Everything seems to be Ok with your son which is an awesome place to start. I'd be asking your son how he feels about you dressing in front of the grand kids, he may be fine with just himself, but doesn't want the kids to become confused. On the otherhand, as Danielle said, If handled properly your grandkids could learn a lot about tolerance and understanding.

The one rule is to keep communicating.

Personally I'd be sliding back into the closet a tad.....but thats only speculation. Seems to me you're handling things very well by showing awareness.

Good luck

Tash :)

Angie G
02-14-2009, 09:39 PM
My son and grandkids don't know Angie And I would keep it that way. I wouldn't want to foul up there live any more.:hugs:
Angie

Nicole Erin
02-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Well it is your own home.

Intertwined
02-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Well it is your own home.

Sorry, I have to dissagree, its Glenda's house, hopefully its home for all of you under that roof.

People ask why my 25 year old daughter still lives at home, I tell them, she takes after her dad (me), who is 47 and still lives in the house he was born in.

Billijo49504
02-15-2009, 12:29 AM
I agree, before they move in, make sure they know you will be dressing on and off. If that's all right fine, if not, well they can go else where..BJ:2c:

Sally24
02-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't go back in the closet for anything! I think it's possible to be yourself (both modes) and not emotionally scar anyone. Children have a much easier time understanding things than adults. They don't have to unlearn stuff.

Patty
02-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I think you are doing the right thing, they saw and knew before.

sarahNZ
02-15-2009, 10:05 AM
sounds to me that you have it under control, so I say go girl, as has been said the sooner they learn about acceptance and personal choice the better.

Diane Douglas
02-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I have to agree with Danielle. While it is Glenda's house and home, she has opened the door for her son and grandchildren to move in. I think she needs to have a serious discussion with her son and be as accomodating as reasonable. Maybe her son is very accepting and will not have a problem with Glenda dressing 24/7. If her son does not want her dressing or wants her to severally limit herself, that opens the door to additional talks, such as when are you moving out?

Sarah Doepner
02-15-2009, 10:55 AM
My wife is in on my dressing, but none of the kids are. So when my son moved back in for a few months, Sarah stayed out of sight of him and his son.

I still have secrets and some of my adult children are just not mature enough to share that knowledge. Although the son at home could do a good job with this, his siblings would likely find out and I just don't trust they would all handle it as well.

I have a lot of experience with the closet. It's not a big sacrifice for a few months.

Glenda
02-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. My son knew of my decision before he moved in. He also knew I would slide back into the closet if asked. There really is nothing I would not do for my family. What I prefer not to do is live my life by other people's values or prejudices. That doesn't mean I'll be showing up at grandkid's functions dressed as Glenda. While I prefer that we all be accepting and respectful, I believe it is our responsibility to show respect for others and not make family, church or school events about us instead of the kids. I'm anxious........and a little apprehensive.....to see what unfolds in my future. My life has changed a lot over the last 10 or 15 years. Being the eternal optimist and believer in good, I can't help but believe it will all turn out for the best.

Kendra Irene
02-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Glenda, it sounds as if your son understands your situation, and may be accepting. I know how you feel about the grandchildren.

My son is currently at home as well (BIG cutback in his hours at Sears). As his girlfriend lives out of town, they alternate weekends where they stay. He knows of my dressing, but his girlfriend doesn't. I informed him that I needed March 1 as a "Kendra Day" because I'm hoping to go to a dinner that evening as Kendra. They have made that weekend change.

I'm sure that, if asked' your son could take the grandchildren out for the day, giving you a "Glenda" as you need it.

Good luck with this.

:hugs: Kendra

JoAnne Wheeler
02-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Does your Son know and approve of Glenda ? If he does, I see no problem. If he doesn't approve, well it is yours and Glenda's house.

JoAnne Wheeler