PDA

View Full Version : Facial Hair

Robynts
02-16-2009, 12:36 PM
How many of you girls have or do cover up your femme side with facial hair? I had a full beard for almost 20 years. During this time all my Robyn pictures are from the neck down. I think facial hair was part of my defense to keep Robyn closeted.

About 10 years ago I had to cut off the beard. Wow what a change. Robyn came out like gangbusters and never looked back. She has been going out in public ever since.

Do you have a similar experience? Ever wonder about those macho guys with facial hair? Could they actually be one of us?

PaulaSF
02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I grew a moustache, back when I was 18 (mid '70s, so pretty popular) in large to look older, and to buy liquor & go into bars in an attempt to not get carded ;-) But even in my earlier 20's, I was wanting to dress fully, so shaved that sucker off, for good in about '82-'83.

Was dating a younger GG in the late '90s, when goatees were all the rage, so her "begging" me to grow a goatee was the grounds for me to come out as a CD to her ;-)

Think you may have an interesting observation here, all sorts of conscious/subconscious reasons for us to justify/hold back, our desire to dress, fully!

Plenty of "neck-down" only pix from those that are clean-shaven, too: a lot of thought, as well as cost, effort, patience, time, trial & error associated with learning makeup skills, as well as what sorts of wigs look best, etc.

Having makeovers done/taking makeup lessons is such an incredibly great "value for money" and really speeds up the whole process, that I totally encourage that for the newish gals, but seems many aren't willing (or live too far away).

Here in SF, at certain clubs/evenings/events there are plenty of gender-benders (aka "bearded ladies" ;-)- certainly not to my, or most gals here, tastes, but who are we to judge! To each their own!

I found, down the decades, that the better pulled together one's complete look is, than the more positive the experiences out are, and that it speeds up ones building up self-confidence, as well as simply being more fun.

sarahNZ
02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
stranger things have happened, My own growth has for the most part been close shaven thanks to the millitary, but I think I did use it a bit to assert my masculinity when I started a new job in a sawmill. Not much good being the fem guy in a place like that.

Beth785
02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I hate shaving, but then again, I hate facial hair even more. If it wasn't so darn expensive, I'd just rather be done with the whole thing, but I can think of better things to spend my money on. Plus, the other downside if I go awhile without shaving is I break out under my chin and on my neck. Definitely puts a cramp on dressing up!

dilane
02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi Robyn,

My facial hair was so thick and dark that it was impossible to look natural during the day, and difficult at night. Shaving so close caused my face to breakout big time. I needed several days for my skin to recover.

So I knew I had to find a way to get rid of it. I was fortunate enough to be able to afford laser and then electro treatments (neither is cheap), and that has made a huge difference -- I can go out during the day and wear ordinary light street makeup.

However, just being able to go out with beard cover is quite a step, after those "lost"years :) Who knows, maybe the overgrowth protected your skin from sun damage, and you've given your face a few good extra years as you get older...

-- Diane

StacyCD
02-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I had a full beard until 1993. As a result, I had never ventured out in public--even at night! Once clean shaven, Stacy made her first public appearance. Since then Stacy gets out a bit. I can't tell others what to do but FOR ME, I just can't do a dress with a beard!

linnea
02-16-2009, 04:45 PM
My big concern with facial hair is that it is hard to conceal. Mine is not very heavy or dark, but it is still inconvenient. I wish that I could find an effective and long-lasting way to get rid of it.

Teri Jean
02-16-2009, 05:00 PM
I had a goatee for many years and then shaved it off, and you and I had the same revelation as this really started the journey of Keli. It's so great. Huggs Keli

Ruth
02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Yes, I had a beard for many years and I wonder now if I was overcompensating, to conceal my other self.
I got rid of it about 12 years ago and my CDing was much better, not surprisingly.

kimberly ann487
02-16-2009, 05:20 PM
I've had a moustache for years and when I "rediscovered" cding two years ago the plan was to shave it off. However before I could do that I was outed to my wife, who hates the whole cd idea. I've recently trimed it back a little. Some sarcastic remarks have followed. If I shaved it completely it would be like waving a red flag.
KIM

Jenna Stunned
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I normaly have a gotee, And have only recenlty shaved it off. My face is not use to being shaved and breaks out abit. And the hair is very noticable even under layers of foundation. Very frustrating. :eek:

Ive always had it since i was 16. I wouldnt say that i had it to hide anything. Just another part of who i am. Im sure ill go back and forth from having it and not.

Kaz
02-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Okay girls I have a real problem here.... Everyone I know reckons I look better in MM mode with a short, stubbly beard... and I guess I agree... when I get my girly act together I fancy me with some facial hair! God I look awful shaven!

But... when I go en femme it goes... and here we are.. I go away for the night... I come back clean shaven... trails...

Having said that, I have been sat many times in great grily gear with a nice bush (only around the face... never around the genitals..). What a life we lead!

xxx

Jilmac
02-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Robyn, I had a full beard for 37 years and for 37 years I was deep in the closet. I never took any pics of Jill when I had my beard but whenever I would see her in the mirror, it would always be from the neck down. The beard is gone now and the closet door is wide open and Jill couldn't be any happier. I have Rexy to thank for giving me the encouragement to lose the beard and take my first step out of the closet.

docrobbysherry
02-16-2009, 08:01 PM
One that I ask myself continually!:eek:

Maybe one day I'll shave it all off!?:brolleyes:

Shikyo
02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Not like I'm able to grow a beard even if I'd try. Even after weeks of not shaving my facial hair, you can barely see it. What you can see, looks bad though(even blond hair becomes visible at some point). So I usually keep it as short as possible, unless I'm lazy and let it grow longer again(until I get pissed off at the look again and keep shaving it daily again).

Alaceann
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I always get ,hay santa or it's zz top . my beard is all white and down to my breast. I shaved about 18 years ago and my wouldn't sleep with me for 2 weeks untill it grew back:sad: Owell i'm going to try again and tell her you cut your long hair andI got used to it, you can get used to me without a beard:D Besides I'm getting tired of it!!!

Kaz
02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Shikya, you are so lucky!!!:love:

Not like I'm able to grow a beard even if I'd try. Even after weeks of not shaving my facial hair, you can barely see it. What you can see, looks bad though(even blond hair becomes visible at some point). So I usually keep it as short as possible, unless I'm lazy and let it grow longer again(until I get pissed off at the look again and keep shaving it daily again).

JoAnne Wheeler
02-17-2009, 07:30 PM
My Spouse wanted me to grow a mustache, but I think it was just her way of trying to end my crossdressing - I did not and will not do it
JoAnne Wheeler

shaun1
02-20-2009, 05:13 AM
i have a goaty that i actually like it is nomaly kept trimmed an tidy but i have a problem. when i dress up an do my make up it stands out(doesnt help its going grey)i dont want to shave it of but what tips can you give me to help hide it

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE . THE PRETTY THINGS COST A FORTUNE

Jenna Stunned
02-20-2009, 06:05 AM
shaun1 Im not sure you can hide it. I dont know what level of dressing your tryin to reach, but as far as passing goes. Its hard enough to hide the shadow after shaving. Unless someone here knows something i dont.

jruiz
02-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Facial hair... My worst feature...

My 5 o'clock shadow shows up about 10 am :eek:

How do you really manage that? The only time I went to a transformation service and had a professional makeup, my beard shadow was visible. It's just so frustrating that I have been searching in the internet for masks, but the only convincing ones are about 1.000$.

http://www.photogenicmask.com/photos/e1/2k40518b.jpg

But I don't know if it would be a smart move. I have some questions:

What do you think about masking?
Is there really a trick to hide beard shadow?
I have thought about laser hair removal, but I'm afraid that my face looks too feminized when in male mode (specially when everybody is used to see me with facial hair). What is your experience? People notices?

TGMarla
02-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I did exactly that. I wore a moustache for about 20 years, mostly to assert a masculine image in order to cover up my feminine affinity. I shaved that puppy off about 8 years ago, much to my wife's chagrin. She really liked it. But I didn't, and away it went, never to return, I think.

Ralph
02-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Facial (and head) hair is a family joke around here. I'm too lazy to shave on a regular basis, so I almost always have at least some amount of mustache in progress and several days worth of stubble (I *try* to shave for church once a week). Sometimes I let it all go and stop shaving entirely, let the beard grow out. Since the only ones who see me dressed are the wife and an occasional almost-adult teen, who cares?

But anyway, it doesn't take long before the scratchy beard drives me up the wall and I shave it all off and start over again. Likewise with the hair, I'll let it grow out for a few years until it's past my shoulders, at which point maintenance becomes more hassle than it's worth and I'll go into the bathroom with scissors and whack it down to ear level. The real fun is when there's some social event where I'll have access to a bathroom and 15-20 minutes free time in the middle of the event - I'll show up with a mile of beard and hair, then sneak off (with razor and scissors stashed in my pockets) to chop it all off and emerge almost unrecognizable. The double-takes are worth it.

One year my wife's side had a big family reunion that involved dozens of pictures. Out of all the people that attended, only her sister noticed that in half the pictures I had a full beard and mustache and in half of them I was clean shaven.

I have so much other eccentric behavior, it probably wouldn't surprise anyone if I came out of the closet.

ralph

Lana.S
02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I wear a goatee in the warm months but I go clean-shaven in the cold months. It goes along with my legs and underarms which I also keep smooth in the cold months but let grow in the spring/summer.

Going clean shaven in the face is hard for me since I'm also one of those whose face tends to get red and irritated when I try and keep it smooth. I've tried tons of razors, lotions, medicines, but nothing seems to work.

If I could find a way to keep my face smooth and clear I'd probably stay clean shaven year-round.

:shades:

shaun1
02-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I wear a goatee in the warm months but I go clean-shaven in the cold months. It goes along with my legs and underarms which I also keep smooth in the cold months but let grow in the spring/summer.

Going clean shaven in the face is hard for me since I'm also one of those whose face tends to get red and irritated when I try and keep it smooth. I've tried tons of razors, lotions, medicines, but nothing seems to work.

If I could find a way to keep my face smooth and clear I'd probably stay clean shaven year-round.

:shades:you should try nivea cream its in a white tub and i swear by it.i suffer really bad shaving rash but once ive rub some of the cream on it instantly starts to cool down and after about two hours the angry redness is fadin

Karren H
02-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I shaved my mustache of 30 years off 5 years ago... my wife wondered why!! Told her it was time for a change... little did she know how big a change it was going to be... well till she found out... lol

dilane
02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Facial hair... My worst feature...

My 5 o'clock shadow shows up about 10 am :eek:

I have thought about laser hair removal, but I'm afraid that my face looks too feminized when in male mode (specially when everybody is used to see me with facial hair). What is your experience? People notices?

Hi J,

Laser is the way to go. It usually doesn't get it all, except for one of my friends (Japanese -- thick dark hairs, light skin). For most folks with dark hairs and lighter skin, it will get it waaay down, to the point where you can use regular street makeup and have no shadow.

I had 8 or 9 laser sessions, but had to switch to electro to get it all, but if you're casual, laser alone will work very well if you don't have dark skin.

And no, nobody notices! At least nobody has said anything to me. Strange but true.

-- Diane

sometimes_miss
02-21-2009, 08:38 PM
When I was an older teen, I had long pretty hair, and occasionally thought that maybe I could go out dressed, and be the pretty girl that I thought I was supposed to be. But in my more lucid moments, I realized that wasn't ever going to pass, and that it would only lead to the ostracization that I had gone through when I was younger (that went on for other reasons). So when I was 18, I grew a beard, knowing that I wouldn't just shave it off on a whim when dressed up. It sort of kept me from doing something stupid, because I knew if I shaved it, I would be too tempted to go out in female attire. Even today, over 30 years later, I get the urge to go out dressed, though I know it would be a disaster for me.

Shari
02-22-2009, 06:23 AM
My moustache came off about ten years ago after being there my whole adult life. I got tired of putting in Grecian fromula to cover the gray.

To my surprise, Shari came out even more once my old friend was sent away.

Carole Cross
02-22-2009, 07:26 AM
I used to have a moustache and full body hair up until a few months ago when I decided to come out of the closet and shaved it all off. In my last relationship I did consider shaving it off but my GF wouldn't let me and there wa no chance sha would accept my dressing. During the relationship I became increasingly frustrated about only being able to dress up occasionally and it began to affect my sexual urges towards her, eventually leading to her ending the relationship.

Ronah
02-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Mine is a similar story to many of the above. I grew a moustache when I was in the army to try to make myself look older as I was a Sergeant at the tender age of 18. I kept that moustache for 60 years until I wished to attend a CD event en femme so it had to come off, which left a white upper lip.

My SO, daughters and grand children all wanted to know why I had shaved it off, but the only answer I could give was that I wanted a change. One advantage of age is that my beard is now much softer, sparser and grey/white which does not show much even some hours after shaving. My head is now almost completely hairless which makes the wig fit better. There are a few advantages to age!!

Maria2222
02-22-2009, 08:36 AM
I had a beard for about 16 years. Partly because I was in construction, but definitely not as an anti CD thing.
Yes, cutting it really opened up my CD life. Makeup and lots of other great things. I'd never go back. I doubt if I could anyway since I've lost much of my facial hair by epilating it.