PDA

View Full Version : A milestone for "Kimberly"

Kimberly Marie Kelly
02-16-2009, 08:57 PM
I made an appointment with a Gender Therapist today for next month. I told her that I've been crossdressing for over 45 yrs, but in the last two years my crossdressing, makeup and jewelry is moving into my everyday work life. To the point where my HR Manager asked if I was transitioning.

Since the beginning of this year that question has become my major thought in my head, I'm just not sure exactly what I am TS or CD. Part of me lean's toward TS, for I feel more comfortable as a woman than a man and I can't shake the feeling.

I'm looking forward to the first session. I thought I'd be afraid to make the appointment, but actually I felt relaxed and relieved after making the appt. Are there questions I should ask of her? :battingeyelashes:

Sandra Dunn
02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
If she is a Gender Therapist then she'll probably be asking you a few questions. The only questions I would have would be how long has she been doing this, how many TG's has she helped or is helping.

Either way you go, I wish the best for you. I understand the crossroads you are standing at and it is a tuff decesion at times and at others it's a no brainer. Thankfully we each get to make that decesion on our own.

HUGS Sandra

boardpuppy
02-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm very happy for you Kimberly, as I am changing my therapist for my next session. I'll be very interested in where this thread goes. I hope you get/receive everything you are seeking.
Hugs,
Alice

vikki2020
02-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Good for you,Kimberly! I don't know if it will get you to where you want to go, but I think it's a step in the right direction.I've been starting to think about seeing someone also, if only to vent a little. Good luck!

Tracii G
02-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Kim I wish you the best keep us posted on how it goes.

Karen Francis
02-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Don't be afraid to stop, speed up, slow down whatever, this journey. But you must be totally honest with yourself, no time for wishful thinking here. Get to the bottom of the reasons for the desire, that is what a good professional will help you do. Absolute best of luck to you wherever it takes you...

docrobbysherry
02-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Don't be afraid to ask him/her ANY AND ALL questions u can think of, so that u r satisfied with the therapist's competancy. U need to feel comfortable with him/her, to be able to them anything! Otherwise, u mite be wasting both of your's time!

I hope this helps u find some answers, Kim.:)

Lora Olivia
02-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Good for you Kim. Whatever comes your way through this process, I hope you find peace of mind

Angel.Marie76
02-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Over the past month or so I too started seeing a therapist that specialized in Gender Identity, and all I can say is that it's been a load off my shoulders to go over everything that's been happening in my head, and the day to day existence. Again while every person's road is different, my biggest questions were something like 'Am I really thinking of /everything/ that's important' -or- ..am I worrying about the wrong sorts of things etc.. My biggest concerns were that my son have a stable existence through my discoveries, which means I myself make well-evaluated decisions in regards to his life, work, living, etc. 'Seeing through the fog...' if you will.

Very best of luck though!

Stefanie_Adams
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Kimberly,
It has been two years since I have been in therapy. My Therapist usually let me do the talking and figure things out on my own with her prodding.

I think you will enjoy it though, for me It was like visiting a Girl Friend whom I could really open up and talk to. I even still email her from time to time.

It was one of the best things that I did for myself after years of trying to figure out things on my own and talking with someone who understands and help me to manage the feelings that I have

How far you are willing to travel this road is entirely up to you. I don't think you will hear your therapist say yes you are TS or yea you need to start HRT, those decisions will be yours with his/her guidance

I consider myself TS (if I have to put a label on it) but due to my commitments to my marriage I am not transitioning at the present time. Best of Luck.

Stefanie

Kimberly Marie Kelly
02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
That I am more transsexual than a Crossdresser, This therapist is a Gender Therapist who practices thru the Papillon Center in Malvern PA. She is a women who has been doing gender therapy for over 15 years. The doctor who heads up this center is a transsexual herself and does most of the surgeries. I feel comfortable reading the bio's of the staff and I am looking forward to my first session of many.

Part of me would like to be able to start HRT later this year. Many of you have expressed that hormone therapy helps you clarify your feelings of transitioning, whether it's the right thing to do or that it's wrong. I'm 52 yrs old, been married & divorced, have children so doing HRT is not going to affect any relationship except the one I have with myself. It's something that I think I need to do. I will ask her many questions and will be honest with her and hopefully my journey will go forward from there.

I appreciate all of the support and love so many offer. It means alot to me. :battingeyelashes:

JoAnne Wheeler
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I hope you have read my posts on counselors and therapists - I do not have any faith in them
JoAnne Wheeler

Kimberly Marie Kelly
02-17-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm sure there are therapist's who are no good or who lack experience in gender issues. But when you have serious questions of what you are, the feelings you have etc. sometimes you need to take a leap of faith and ask someone to help you sort thru the issues.

I'm not scared of whether this issue becomes known in time, I'm pretty much out to my immediate family, both my kids, my ex knows, my HR manager at work knows my situation and some other people I know at work pretty much know I am a crossdresser and most people see me everyday with feminine attire, makeup and jewelry. My confusion is simply whether I am Transsexual vs Crossdresser / Gender bender. I want to know and if a good therapist can help me sort thru the issues, it's worth the risk to try.. :battingeyelashes: