PDA

View Full Version : I went out public for the first time yesterday....

Sherry-Stephanie
02-17-2009, 10:38 PM
And I have to say it was 95% positive....and I'll do it again and again after that....but I'm having a bit of after thought now that I've ventured out from the security of my house....

I went out shopping and went to two stores talked to the SA's there and bought a few things at the second store....so it wasn't just out for a drive and ten back....this was with inter-action with people....

What I want to know is how did you feel after you went out public for the first time...both positive as well as any negative thoughts....

JC
02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
i lack the courage to go out --- someday?

congrats on your trip.

Tora
02-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Bravo, You made it past the first hurrdle. Savor the time, take it slow, act femme, relax. It is always special. Stay alert, be safe.

Helen 2
02-17-2009, 11:07 PM
It only gets better with time and practice. LOL!!!!!!!!
Just relax and have fun.....congrats again!
:battingeyelashes:

Tasha McIntyre
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Well done Sherry, hope you had a buzz :)

I'm with JC at the minute - too chicken to be seen. If I ever get out, I think it will be for a quiet discreet drive....oh god - hope I don't crash!

Cheers

Tash :)

Sherry-Stephanie
02-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Well like some here I was very reluctnat to venture out...and the first time I did it was for a drive....after that I wanted to do more...so I finally decided to go out shopping and yesterday was the day...

I did some of the things the more experience girls here talk about...shopping and trying on their clothes or shoes and jut being out...

For the most part it was very good....I didn't observe or see anyone giving me that look excpet for one person who was staring...and I looked back at her and smiled and she looked away...that was it. The SA's talked to me like hey nothing out of the ordinary here....but it still made me felt sort of out of whack...or odd....jsut didn't feel normal..he I am in drag and they're talking to me normally...well I'm not normal because I'm a guy dressed in woman's clothes....and that's what was strange for me...growing up I was always told that guys who were womnas clothes are weird....they transvestites and her i was out in public dressed in woman's clothes pretending I'm a woman....so that must made me a transvestite and her I was applying this "label" to me....they didn't do it I did it....so that's one fo the things that was not so positive of a feeling....so I'm trying to work past this intitial revelation to myslef

Aside from that fact, everyhting went well but I know I need to make some improvements....make up and perhaps other wigs that I can get fitted for in a salon...but liek I said elsewhere the genie's out of the bottle and there's no putting her back.....

If your reluctant to go out....work at it slowly, but it's big world out there and like other have said before and I found this to be true....most people won't even be aware that your "en femmed"....I had people who came within 20 ft of me and didn't even look...and if they did they just kept to themsleves so there was no giggles, whispering or finger pointing...

The best thing for me were two things....being able to try on the clothes before you bought them and having a purse....something about using a purse I enjoyed....why I don't know....but I think it was an accessory that made me feel more feminine...

Anyway, hope this helps some of you to reach out and break the ice....go for it and step out into the real world....you'll kick yourself you didn't do it sooner....

Best to you all....

Steph

Lora Olivia
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
After the first time out interacting with people I felt elated, exhausted, exceptionally foolish:doh:..but I think the more important thing is not how I felt then, but how I feel now after being out what must be at least 40 times...and that is NORMAL:heehee:

Sherry-Stephanie
02-17-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm sure repetition brings normalcy....I'll jsut have to practice practice practice....but I've got a long ways to go to get the confidence that Karren has for herself....I can only wish for the day I get to be like her....nothing phases that girl!!!!

Beth785
02-17-2009, 11:39 PM
The first time I went out I was terrified. I felt that everyone was staring at me. Making fun of me. It was baby steps at first. It took me a long time to get comfortable. I still don't think that I'm super comfortable, but I have made progress. I don't bat an eye on places that I've been, but sometimes I go to a new place and may be out of my comfort zone until I get familiar with the new surroundings.

Shannon
02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I gradually built up to interacting with others. Now, for the longest time, I haven't gone out en femme; done all my shopping in drab. Today, I have almost decided no more shopping in drab.

I went to DSW to find some shoes. I was trying on a lot of pairs -- all ladies shoes -- while the staff was stocking the aisles. The SAs and store manager all said "hello" and treated me fine, but I had this feeling that if I were en femme I would feel more comfortable. I had this vibe that the store manager was wondering if I was there just to try on shoes, or if I was really going to buy something.

Then I went to Sephora and asked an SA for help with an eyebrow pencil. She sat me down in a chair and did my eyebrows for me -- and decided on a share that works best for me (Laura Geller, taupe). I was wearing a touch of eye makeup. I got to thinking that I would be just as accepted, and maybe feel more comfortable, if I were en femme.

But my point here is that for me, I feel like I need to work my way back again -- I just don't know if I'll be able to pick up where I left off as far as my level of comfort and confidence.

Sherry-Stephanie
02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
DSW was one of the places I went in...great shoes there and priced moderately...tried on one pair that I was very tempted to get..might go back in a couple of weeks and get them if they're still there...hope there's no size 11 women out there that like them..The SA's came over and asked if they could help and then when I tried on that one pair I asked her what she thought and she said they looked cute and asked hopw they comfortable..which they did....told her I was going to be coming back again because they had a great selection of shoes there...another SA chatted for a bit while I was heading out....enjoyed that place....

Shannen
02-17-2009, 11:51 PM
What I want to know is how did you feel after you went out public for the first time...both positive as well as any negative thoughts....

I was on cloud 9 for hours!

..and I came to realize that I will never pass as a female! It's a good thing that 95% of the people out there see skirt, long hair, makeup, etc, and never actually look at me.

I think some cd'ers think that they can somehow "magically transform" into the perfect female once a week to go out... that's probably not going to happen... But almost everyone should be able to have fun going out dressed as long as they take the most basic steps of shaving off the whiskers and putting some makeup over the stubble! :)

I'm glad you had a good adventure, keep having fun!

:hugs:

vikki2020
02-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Congratulations, Sherry! That is really a big step, and it's great that you went right in the deep end of the pool! Sounds like you will be getting to that comfort level very soon. I would say that's the "real" first time I went out, when you cross that imaginary threshold, and loose any inhibitions that you might have being out dressed. It really makes all the difference.Good luck on your next outing!:)

MaryAnn40c
02-18-2009, 01:42 AM
The first time I went out shopping I forgot my shoes for the outfit I was going to wear that night. I really needed to go out so I sucked it up drove to a mall,walked around the whole mall ,found a shoe store,tried on a few pairs of heels,the SA was nice. I walked back to my truck,drove to the hotel,forgot my key in my room. I walked up to the front desk got a key,went to my room,changed,had the time of my life. Durring all my time beening out I held my head high,I did not get any negative talk or looks from anyone (or any I noticed). I found that if you have good additude nothing will stop you in going out.:2c:

gwen cd
02-18-2009, 02:10 AM
I Realy Don't think I would Pass If I try.

Hope
02-18-2009, 03:00 AM
The best thing for me were two things....being able to try on the clothes before you bought them and having a purse....something about using a purse I enjoyed....why I don't know....but I think it was an accessory that made me feel more feminine...

I LOVE having a purse.

But then I carry a purse en Drab - and have never heard a comment about it. It probably helps that it is a pretty boxy timbuk 2 purse - but clearly a purse (it is made of raspberry wool). A few of my friends have asked me about it, and I just tell them I got tired of never knowing where my gear was, and of swapping all of my junk from one coat to another in the winter, and running out of pockets in the summer... which IS true... but even more than that I just like carrying a purse.

Hope

Alana65
02-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Congrats Sherry :w00t: Other than one time for Halloween, I haven't been "out" in public..........but I hope to do something similar to what you did sometime soon. Thank you for sharing, hun. :hugs:

victoriamwilliams1
02-18-2009, 07:22 AM
For me my first time out I was nervous and I was shaking. Now I am getting over it and finding that the more you interact the easier it gets.

Ritu
02-18-2009, 08:16 AM
i haven't ventured out as yet.. but i did something else. i ordered food home and got fully dressed up to receive it. the delivery boy did not say anything and infact i caught him staring at my boobs :).. just like he would look at any other woman. so i presumed i passed! and really enjoyed the experience.

i must admit that my hands were hot and bit trembling wen i handed over cash to him.

what do u think of this experience??

TGMarla
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
I loved it, Sherry, but it's still a little scary for me. But what a thrill! I'll be going out again, too.

Nikki A.
02-18-2009, 09:14 AM
I've just recently started going out, mostly to functions with like minded sisters. But I dress before I leave so I need to drive there, have stopped for gas, asked for directions and never had a problem. In the restaurant again very well treated.
Again the biggest problem is in our own heads. Do I pass, probably not, but if you are comfortable with yourself and dress appropriately for the situation most people won't notice, and those that do who cares.

JoAnne Wheeler
02-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Did the SAs know you were a crossdresser ? How did they treat you ?
I admire your courage
JoAnne Wheeler

Petra Bellejambes
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
It feels like nothing exactly like I expected or had experienced before, but something that was familiar and entirely natural. You can be nervous and perfectly becalmed at the same time. It is a potent brew of feelings. It can only be had going out. I love it.

It does demand more of the same feeling, but the feeling is so warm that it doesn't demand (of me at least) increasing frequency. Getting out, interacting, presenting and being en femme really recharges all the inner tides that draw me to cross dressing. Memories can be recalled in an instant, and never fail to make me smile.

I so wish all of that on everyone.

Happy dressing , privately or hopefully publicly...

Diane Elizabeth
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
My first time was to just drive around in my truck. I got nervous and scrunched down at a light, Another time I went to a lez bar. I was in girl jeans and shirt. I drove in high heels but switched to go in (chickened out). But with makeup and jewelry and clothes I was still a guy. But I felt good about what I wore. Except my shoes.

Denise01
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Congratulations:

My first time out fully as Denise, i was in Va, about 800 miles from home with another TS friend,.

It was great, as I did not have to worry about running into some one i know.

I was nervous for about the first 15 minuets, but then when i suddenly realized that we were not getting looked at other than 2 girls out for a days shopping , i calmed right down and now the rest is history.

The more you go out as yourself the more confident that you will get.
As for shopping, when i am shopping for Denise, I am always now fully Denise. That makes it so much easier, as with the variation in sizes of Ladies clothing I will not buy anything without trying it on.

Keep up the good work and enjoy;

Denise

:):)

StaceyJane
02-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a great adventure. I'm still just driving around town en femme. It's fun but I really have to move forward.

Rachel Morley
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
How did I feel after I went out public for the first time? .... absolutely fantastic! :) Here's an link to my account of events (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9796) at the time back in June 2005. I wasn't anywhere as brave and confident as you though. Mine was just a drive in the car and window shopping in a small strip mall and I definitely wasn't able (because of shyness) to interact with anyone. It was an extremely positive experience and my wife orchestrated the whole thing ... she wanted it to be only a small step and one that didn't have anything bad happen so that I would have the confidence to do more. The following week we did it again but this time it was similar to your outing. We went to a wig store and then shopping in the downtown mall.

You didn't elaborate on how you felt about your trip? I imagine it was absolutely wonderful for you ... I know it definitely was for me. IMHO once a person starts to go out in public it's very exiting, slightly scary, and very additive! :D