PDA

View Full Version : High Heel [Physical] Therapy

my_murano
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Exactly 4 months ago I partially tore my calf muscle (the gastroc) playing basketball. For several weeks I limped around. Walking in heels was wayyyy out of the question. At 6 weeks I tried and it was still pretty painful. Oh it was terrible - physical pain from wearing my beloved heels??? It was like negative reinforcement. Heels = PAIN! Then I started some real phys therapy/rehab a month ago and my leg strength started to come back a little. Several of the exercises involved me being on tip-toes. The initial slight results were encouraging enough for me to walk in my heels again and I found the more I wore the better my PT and vice versa. If I didn't think my PT would laugh at me for this suggestion, I'd tell him to put more leg injury patients on high heels :D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/3095707354_4fb4fbf59c_m.jpg

Persephone
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Glad to hear that you are getting stronger and better.

I'm convinced that heels of 2" to 3" (5 to 7.5 cm) are excellent for supporting the back and posture.

Four to five inch (10 to 12.5 cm) heels are probably even better for the back and posture, but are much more difficult to wear for extended periods of time, putting more pressure on the toes and balls of the feet.

Since I have scoliosis and osteoporosis, I try to wear heels as frequently as possible, even if only for medicinal purposes.

I believe that way back in time the U.S. Army did a study and found much the same thing about 2" to 3" heels, but never decided to adopt high heels as the standard for military boots.

JoAnne Wheeler
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I love 2" to 3 1/2" heels - anything higher hurts my feet and my calf museles

JoAnne Wheeler

rachel_rachel
02-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Personally i've found that wearing heels is helping with my bone spurs that i have in both my feet... it takes a heap of pressure off the heel and transfers it to the toes, therefore little if no pain.

Susan.
02-20-2009, 12:11 AM
I have peripheral neuropathy and for the several years I couldn't wear heels at all. Now I take neurontin for it and just tonight bought some 3 1/2" heels from Newport News, though they do have a 1" platform.

Hope
02-20-2009, 12:25 AM
I know my posture is always better when I am wearing heels - even when I am sitting down... so it might just be my mindset...

docrobbysherry
02-20-2009, 01:24 AM
I find that I need heels about 3 3/4", or higher, depending on the shoe, to feel real improvement in my posture and balance! I just clunk along that much more in 3 1/2", or shorter heels!:sad: I have a bad back!

I wore a pair of ballet boots for about an hour before puting on my pointe ballet shoes last time. I was able to get up on my toes MUCH easier, and with much less pain, than the time before, when I wore them without the ballet boots first!!:eek:

Both times, I spent time stretching my feet and legs, before trying ANY ballet footwear on.:)

Evie08
02-20-2009, 01:43 AM
I found walking in heals were great stretching exercises before going skiing.

leslie ann
02-20-2009, 01:49 AM
stimulus bill?? ha 13 bucks a week? why i think ill buy a new car ohh hay we are not to talk about polotics on here thank god! sorry i had to vent sorrry

gwen cd
02-20-2009, 02:02 AM
Glad to hear you are getting better.
Thanks for the advice if ever I get the same..

Tashee
02-20-2009, 02:04 AM
I have peripheral neuropathy and for the several years I couldn't wear heels at all. Now I take neurontin for it and just tonight bought some 3 1/2" heels from Newport News, though they do have a 1" platform.

My sympathy. I can relate unfortunately. I am glad the Neurontin is working.

warm thoughts and prayers.

Me. My legs and ankles at this time are to weak to wear any heel. I get shoe therapy from watching HSN and the Q. Keeps Hope alive.:daydreaming:

Slip Affinity
02-20-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm convinced that heels of 2" to 3" (5 to 7.5 cm) are excellent for supporting the back and posture.

I have to agree with that. My lower back feels much better when I'm wearing 2" heels. Unfortunately, my weak knees don't like them and I'm afraid I'll take a tumble going down the stairs one of these days.

Diane Smith
02-20-2009, 10:48 PM
I broke my left foot in the fall of 2002 and while it was healing, discovered that wearing modest heels was much more comfortable than my usual guy's running shoes. That provided a good excuse for being out and about in heels and so even though the foot is long back to normal, I'm seldom in less than 4" heels nowadays, whether dressed femme or otherwise drab. I haven't used the "broken foot" excuse for quite a long time, though!

- Diane

Jaydee
02-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I was having trouble with a heel bone spur a while back. I found that I could wear my moderate (2-3") heels without the discomfort that I was having with my regular guy shoes, even with a heel cushioning pad.

Jaydee

SexyLatexSamantha
02-20-2009, 11:31 PM
I agree that heels help certain injuries. I blew a disc in my lower back in 1999. The only thing that helped me get through the pain until I had surgery, was wearing my heels. Unfortunately, I could not wear them all the time. When the heels were on, the pain was mostly gone. It was amazing.

leesametz
02-20-2009, 11:37 PM

my wife has had both knees replaced...

she has osteoarthritis in her back and shoulders and her orthopedic surgeon told her that if she wore heels more often, it would help her back and sure enough, her back has straightened and has stopped hurting as much...

Paula Siemen
02-21-2009, 09:52 AM
stimulus bill?? ha 13 bucks a week? why i think ill buy a new car ohh hay we are not to talk about polotics on here thank god! sorry i had to vent sorrry

If you watch the sales at Payless Shoestore.......you could almost get new shoes.......Now THAT IS STIMULATING!!!!!.......Is that was a SIMULUS PACKAGE is all about??? Works for me.

Jess_cd32
02-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Glad your doing better and back in the game:)
If I'm not mistaken from prior advice to me, you'll only have so long to streach that injury during healing and after that whatever you have will be permanent so wear them like there's no tomorrow.

StephanieC
02-21-2009, 11:47 AM
May,
I'm glad you're on the mend. I actually saw a piece on TV recently about the same thing...that a reasonable heel height had a beneficial effect on the leg muscles. And it does have the byproduct of thrusting out the tush. But I think posture is the big variable here. Plus the condition of the knees and/or heel height.
-Stephani

Penny
02-21-2009, 01:17 PM
I strained my calf muscle, wore high heels and it got back to normal with no pain. I have a pinched nerve in my upper back so I slid the strap perfect into
my back which throws my shoulders back and unpinches the nerve.
There is a lot to be said about (C)on(D)ional therepy!:heehee:

:hugs:

Penny