PDA

View Full Version : How does counseling help in transitioning?

Charla
02-22-2009, 01:23 PM
I have been wondering how someone making the transition from male to female gets counseling on how to be more feminine. It's one thing to think we present ourselves as feminine when we dress, but quite another when we start actively taking on the role and interact with others. There are all the mannerisms, walking, talking, and so on. Is there any coaching in counseling on this? I am not looking for the magic "switch" - I know there isn't one. Help!

Karen564
02-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Is there any coaching in counseling on this? Help!

Yes, there are people out there that offer coaching on feminine mannerisms, not many, but there around, Diane Doyle, comes to mind on the west coast, but there's others, check your local Transgender support groups, or state/local TG listings for counselling/ therapist/ services on the web, it usually list hair removal services, therapist, support groups, etc.

Karen

MJ
02-22-2009, 01:51 PM
no i have never had any coaching during my counseling. sometimes my counselor is just a guiding light in the pink fog or can help me find the answers

Karen564
02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted what you were asking.

Your therapist or Counselor will not help you in those regards, you have to go to an outside source for that, as I mentioned before.
There's none that I know of that do double duty, it's one or the other.

Karen

Susan Loves Life
02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
As far as I have experienced during my counseling sessions, I have discovered to my delight that the female office staff at the counseling center I go to have become very comfortable with me and many of them make comments and suggestions to me on haw I can improve my makeup,clothing selections, tips on nails and hair, even on mannerisms and walking. these are very wonderful women that have and are becoming very open with me.

Each time I go to my therapy (once a week) the women at the main desk always have to come and see how I am dressed. 99% of the time the comments are positive and when there are not, it's always done in a that still makes me feel good.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that by seeking out others and listening to their advice is also a big part of counseling.

Good luck and huggs to you :):hugs::love:

Susan

Kaitlyn Michele
02-22-2009, 03:54 PM
everybodys different...my magic button is right behind my left ear....only problem is it doesnt do )($#(

kidding aside, depending on where you live there are all kinds of people that want to help and they've figured out that we are generally HIGHLY motivated customers... i hope you can find folks to help you with your needs..

also, no guts no glory....ask every woman you can....MAC makeup counters are famous for being tg friendly, but they are quite expensive ...i could never find the right foundation for my skin color until they got a hold of me...