PDA

View Full Version : I give up!! Gave in...

Karren H
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Well Saturday my wife started in on me how my nails looking girle. And ya know how I like to push the subject from time to time but there comes a point where me having nice girlis nails just isn't worth the agravation.. Isn't worth adding friction to our relationship..

So I went into the bathroom and pulled out the clippers and chopped them all off!! Yeah they looked nice but seriously they were a pain in the ass to take care of any way... Sure glad I didn't throw away all my stickon nails!! Lol.

She does let a lot of things slip by.. Body hair being a biggie.. And thin eye brows.. And she let's me play all the ice hockey I want!!

After I did the deed... she was very happy and we had a great weekend!!

So there.. I gave in!! Call me a wuss but maritial bliss is more important to me at this stage of my life...

Bobbi Lynn
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Sorry Karren, I'm not sure what to say??

JessiRed
02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
You don't hear the phrase "Pick your battles" all the time for no reason, sounds like you made the wise choice.

I am glad to say I don't have that problem though.

kathrynjanos
02-23-2009, 12:42 PM

So there.. I gave in!! Call me a wuss but maritial bliss is more important to me at this stage of my life...

I think you did a good thing. The right thing, who knows, but a good one nonetheless! A supportive wife/SO is so important.

kristinacd55
02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Next thing you know, you'll give up being a Pirates fan. LOL

2b.Lauren
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Sounds like it was a difficult choice to make but one that worked out best overall. Yeah we do have to choose our battles. Good for you!

Kate Simmons
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, long nails aren't all they are cracked up to be Karr. They are kind of a PITA for us active types.:)

JulieC
02-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Well Saturday my wife started in on me how my nails looking girle. And ya know how I like to push the subject from time to time but there comes a point where me having nice girlis nails just isn't worth the agravation.. Isn't worth adding friction to our relationship..

So I went into the bathroom and pulled out the clippers and chopped them all off!! Yeah they looked nice but seriously they were a pain in the ass to take care of any way... Sure glad I didn't throw away all my stickon nails!! Lol.

She does let a lot of things slip by.. Body hair being a biggie.. And thin eye brows.. And she let's me play all the ice hockey I want!!

I can't say I understand the dynamic in your marriage. I'm glad you have a means of making it work that is mutually beneficial!

Sorry you had to chop your nails off, but that's why God made stickons :lol:

JoAnne Wheeler
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi Karren - my Spouse objects to my nails fom time to time about being too long - I just take it with a grain of salt because she knows when the nails get long, dress up time is around the corner

JoAnne Wheeler

CharleneT
02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
You made the right choice "grass hopper", now you may leave the monastery !

I think you did the right thing.... as above, gotta pick your battles carefully.

carolinoakland
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
well just so long as you made the choice for YOUR reasons.. and not hers. It's like smoking, if you do it for your mate or so what happens if the relationship doesn't work out? your whole reason for quiting goes away. you did the right thing for you right? Then nothing to worry about. Carol

Karren H
02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Lol... After 33 years of marriage I doubt the relationship is in jepordy.. Though 3 years ago I would have not said that... And yeah I did it for me... So she would be happy which intern makes my life easier!! Plus long nails doesn't cause cancer in laboratory rat! :)

Sally2005
02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Too bad there is no such thing as velcro nails or magnetic paint that holds on false nails! I think my wife likes back scratches better when I have a little bit of nail...but I think she would side with your wife.

anna kate
02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
I'd do the same Karen,and have. I'm ten years ahead of you in marrage, but I'll still do anything to save it. Besides, she knows where all the money is! I'm sure I wouldn't like living in the poor house, even with long nails.
Anna Kate

kathrynjanos
02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
I'd do the same Karen,and have. I'm ten years ahead of you in marrage, but I'll still do anything to save it. Besides, she knows where all the money is! I'm sure I wouldn't like living in the poor house, even with long nails.
Anna Kate

And this is why I am going to be certain to get a pre-nup.

Kelli Michelle
02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I have only grown my nails out a bit once or twice. She never said anything, but I could feel the "stare". So I chopped mine off too. I like the convenience of press on or whatever nails. That way i can have 'em as long as I wish, and can go straight back to guy mode, with little fuss.

Just curious, when your nails were longish, did they make your hockey gloves feel misfitted? Also no way a Steeler's fan can be a wuss. I think that's part of their background check---no wusses allowed!!!!!

Shadeauxmarie
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Two rules for marital bliss:

1) When momma ain't happy, NOBODY'S happy.
2) When in doubt, refer to rule #1.

Karren H
02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Just curious, when your nails were longish, did they make your hockey gloves feel misfitted? Also no way a Steeler's fan can be a wuss. I think that's part of their background check---no wusses allowed!!!!!

Matter of fact... I did wear a couple holes in my right glove (I shoot left) and went out and thanks to my vast knowledge of Joann's Fabrics, bought some leather and I glued a piece in using fabric glue... Which astonished the guys on my hockey team who were amazed I knew how to do that!! Lol.

kathrynjanos
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Two rules for marital bliss:

1) When momma ain't happy, NOBODY'S happy.
2) When in doubt, refer to rule #1.

This is "The customer is always right" philosophy. It's the same one that sets me off on a homicidal rampage. Ladies, you're not always right, especially if your man considers himself to be partly woman! :tongueout

RachelB.
02-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Having been married 33 years I also agree some battles aren't worth the fight.

Rachel

Bethany38
02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Karen I think you did the right thing. I may not be married as long as you, or as long as some of the other ladies here. But in my short thirteen year marriage one thing I have learned is there has to be some give and take on both sides to make it work. So thats all I can say about that. Have a great week.

Bethany

SherylynJade
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Matter of fact... I did wear a couple holes in my right glove (I shoot left) and went out and thanks to my vast knowledge of Joann's Fabrics, bought some leather and I glued a piece in using fabric glue... Which astonished the guys on my hockey team who were amazed I knew how to do that!! Lol.

Some of my friends are amazed when I do something like that, but not the close ones. All my close friends know that I do my own prop and costume work.:devil:

SherriePall
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Press-on nails have saved several marriages.

Sam-antha
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Sad Karen, but I am keeping mine. however, I admit that at this time of year when I am becoming active in the garden, I tend to lose mine involuntary like. Two went for a burton today when I wa around thirty feet up a tree, removing its crown.
So, I sorta know what yo feel. Loss due to circs.

~Samm

deja true
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Press-on nails have saved several marriages.

Hmmm! Maybe they should put that in their adverising...

Think we could get them to sponsor an international CD dot com conference?

:)

Nicole Erin
02-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Long nails aren't really in style right now anyways.
Being you are an ice hockey player, do you get into a lot of fist fights on the rink? Well, if so, I imagine you are probably better at physical fights than social ones. :heehee:

Yeah don't worry too much about the long nails, they are more of a hassle than anything

Angel.Marie76
02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Too bad there is no such thing as velcro nails or magnetic paint that holds on false nails! I think my wife likes back scratches better when I have a little bit of nail...but I think she would side with your wife.

He he.. my SO's appreciated my nails lately with the backrubs and such as well, however there are certainly times when having long nails and interacting with another woman are NOT a good thing. Then there is that whole 'being active' thing.. I've found myself favoring saving my nails as opposed to risking breaking them. Even though I'm a tinker and such, I'm always wearing sturdy gloves and 'keeping in mind' that they're there. I've been keeping an industrious coat of strong polish on them to keep 'em going.

Regardless, good show Karren on working with your wife, and best of luck with future chosen battles!

Ralph
02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah, long nails aren't all they are cracked up to be Karr. They are kind of a PITA for us active types.

My daughter will go months on end without trimming hers at all; I have seen her *natural* nails close to an inch long. I can't begin to imagine why she does that to herself - it impedes typing; she's forever getting them caught and broken; she's constantly scratching herself on them.

No, thanks. Even if I ever decide to go the girly route and paint my nails, they'll stay chopped down as close to the quick as I can get 'em. Whenever I do forget and let them go a couple of weeks, the corners snag on all my pantyhose and nightgowns.

ralph the de-clawed

matrioshka
02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Karren,

I work in a foundry. Every time I grow them out, I wind up breaking them doing something. Thank God for stick ons. And for some reason people notice the nails. They don't notice the lack of hair on my arms, but they notice the nails...

Besides, they get in the way when I go shooting. I always broke one loading magazines.

Katrina

Deborah Jane
02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Call me a wuss but maritial bliss is more important to me at this stage of my life...

You're a wuss Karren :tongueout

But i agree with the sentiment about marital bliss being more important :)

Tina B.
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Karren I know you where enjoying the nails, sorry you had to give them up, but then short nails, and sleeping in your own bed, is better than long nails sleeping on the couch!
Tina

txrobinm
02-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Good for you, Karren! That's how it is with leg hair in my house. But, as I'm discovering right now, with the right tights you can't see my hairy shanks! Shaving them shuts way too many doors, if you know what I mean....

(I never could do nails anyway- they interfere too much with guitar playing!)

krisinpink
02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
I think you did exactly the right thing in cutting your nails; it's all about the balance...

(I'm trying to ease my girl into accepting the shaving thing...again...maintain the balance, and everyone wins, or at least has a better shot at winning)

*hugs*

-Krissy

Niya W
02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Watches for Karrens next post. Look I got acrylic nails.

Sally24
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Call me a wuss but maritial bliss is more important to me at this stage of my life...
A wuss gives in on most or all battles. The people who stay married are the ones that can give and take without feeling like they're losing all the time.

Nails are easier to fake than most things so it's not that much a loss. I do prefer my own nails too though.

Karren H
02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Watches for Karrens next post. Look I got acrylic nails.

Nahhh How about... "Hey look I got a new composite hockey stick"!! lol

CharlotteW
02-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Karen, I know the feeling. Four days ago we had a little friction in our house. Wifey admitted she didn't love me anymore, I asked if the CD'ing had anything to do with it, she smiled and nodded. I haven't been dressed since and I've made my best effort to be real nice too.

Since then...she has taken back her comments and insists on NOT buying me mens socks etc, I must wear stockings or tights she says. I'm still gonna back off on the dressing, at least for a couple more days.

joann426
02-23-2009, 07:57 PM
dont worry karren they will grow back again mine always do :hugs:

joann426
02-23-2009, 08:07 PM
some how i didnt even break a nail when i put break lines on my truck must of used sally hansens hard as nails lol!!

kathrynjanos
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
some how i didnt even break a nail when i put break lines on my truck must of used sally hansens hard as nails lol!!

lol, I don't know why but just typing on my laptop seems to rip the coatings off mine.

docrobbysherry
02-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Long pretty nails, OR a great weekend of marital bliss and hot monkey love!?:brolleyes:

Tough decision! :doh: Glad U had to make it, and NOT I!:heehee:

susie evans
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
KARREN cutting your nail's is not even a speed bump for a lady of your calber

:):D:hugs:susie

TxKimberly
02-23-2009, 08:44 PM
That's not a wuss at all. A marriage is all about compromises and you just made another one. :-)

Teri Jean
02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Karren,
Sweety there is no shame in keeping your wife happy and as they say God and the rain will bring them back. Or was that the grass,LOL. I'm sure se knows it was for her and she probably happy you made the consession. Thank you for all your humor and insites. Huggs Keli

Danielle Hyatt
02-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Good for you KH!!!!!!!

If you want to plese PM me.

HAVE A NICE DAY:D
DAN

linnea
02-24-2009, 12:34 AM
well, I think that you made the right choice. Your nails will grow back if you want to let them. I let mine grow out quite a ways but wear and tear take their toll and I trim them after I think that they might look a little too girly. They would not be worth a fight.

sputnik
02-24-2009, 01:37 AM
No. I don't think I could call you a wuss. This is a big, big thing for you to do for the sake of your marriage.

Jess_cd32
02-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Get her some of these next Karren since your on a roll:love:
Its not so bad to compromise sometimes, thats what marriage is all about.

DAVIDA
02-24-2009, 07:20 AM
Hi Karren!
Jean is about one of the most supportive wife that anyone could hope for. But, she has this thing about nails. She has told me that she does not know why, and she is trying to get over it. But, when she says that the nails are gatting long, it is time to cut them. She doesn't like polish either. When I have polish on from the night before, after she went to bed, I take it off when she gets up.

Hey! Have you ever shopped for a stick while dressed?:D

insearchofme
02-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Karren has learned what we all know deep inside but we don't verblize it. I've been married 37 years and this has served me well: "When mama's happy everyone is happy!"

Hugs,

Priscilla Ann
02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Well, I think long nails are a pain anyway. I keep breaking them off at work even when I keep them short.

LisaElizabeth
02-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Geez, Lot's of us 33 yr married people out here!!! Cool!! And 13 isn't a bad thing either in this era of 'quickie divorce'.
The good part is, that your nails will grow back our in a couple weeks. In the mean time you now have what the ladies call 'active Length' nails!! They wil still look great with polish.
Lisa E
33 yrs married as of 05/01/09......

MJ
02-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Lol... After 33 years of marriage

33 years thats a double life sentence you could be out now with good behavior :heehee:

rachel_rachel
02-25-2009, 01:05 AM

Remember this...... Happy wife, Happy life!

Hope
02-25-2009, 02:00 AM
This is "The customer is always right" philosophy. It's the same one that sets me off on a homicidal rampage. Ladies, you're not always right, especially if your man considers himself to be partly woman! :tongueout

Yeah... that will preach.