PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes kids say...

Angel.Marie76
02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
...the darndest things!

Oh, I posted in another thread that I went out dressed to the V. Monologues and a nightclub this past weekend, and this was the next afternoon. My folks were watching my son for the weekend, and so I went up Sunday afternoon for lunch with my SO. My folks, myself, the SO, and my son were at the table starting to eat, and my Son says 'Dad...

...Did you dress up last night??' :eek: (I'm not out to my folks yet.)

My response was 'Whyyyyyyy?' and to which he replied: 'Well, your eyes look a little darker today, so I just figured..' :straightface:

The conversation ended quickly with 'Yes, I did.' and my folks never said a word, and everything went on like there was no worries at all. The reality was that apparently I had a small amount of residual eyeliner on - a few specks here and there, much like I had left mascara on (which was also a possibility). I THOUGHT I had got it all off, but alas such is life. I'm not too worried about it, as I've been dropping hints to my mother here and there, and its tentatively on my schedule to talk to her and my father about it one of these weeks VERY soon, but I'll aim for after family birthdays, dinners, and special events.

But on a lighter note, I'm sure others in here have probably had some things like this happen to them before. *rolls eyes* oyi, KIDS. :D

trisha59
02-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Son says 'Dad...
...Did you dress up last night??' :eek: (I'm not out to my folks yet.)
The conversation ended quickly with 'Yes, I did.'
its tentatively on my schedule to talk to her and my father about it one of these weeks VERY soon, :D

I think Your son broke the ice for this talk for you.

JoAnne Wheeler
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
How old is this son of yours ? He may have helped you come out.

JoAnne Wheeler

Angel.Marie76
02-23-2009, 08:45 PM
I think Your son broke the ice for this talk for you.

Well, my folks know I go to 'Goth' clubs quite often, so it's not unusual to have me in eyeliner from time to time, though not that I've been in front of the family that way much at all.

However, yes, I feel like he perhaps is helping break the ice in this scenario. Guess in a few weeks when I have the conversation with 'mom, I can say: 'So, besides the time when you caught me in the dress when I was, what, 12/13/14/15ish? can you remember me in things like eyeliner.. well, thats what kiddo was talking about the other day.. '

*deeeeeeeeeeep breath* one of these days soon

Oh, and JoAnne, he's 11.

Robynts
02-23-2009, 09:34 PM
My daughter busted me in kinda a similar way. I had been out for a Saturday night. Sunday morning I cleaned off my makeup (I know I am not supposed to sleep with it on but I hate taking it and my nails off). I went out to breakfast with my wife and daughter. When I came back to the master bathroom there was a box of makeup wipes and a note from my daughter (she was 17) that said "You need these more than I do, look at your eyes."

Turns out that she had basically known that I was dressing for several years. She said it was kinda give away when I helped her with her makeup for prom night!

ReineD
02-23-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm sensing that your son understands it is a secret, but he might not understand why and it is making him feel uncomfortable. So it was his way of trying to talk about it. Kids feel safer when things are clear and out in the open, and when all the adults agree on the rules. He may want to be reassured that what you are doing is OK.

How old is he?

:love:

Angel.Marie76
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm sensing that your son understands it is a secret, but he might not understand why and it is making him feel uncomfortable. So it was his way of trying to talk about it. Kids feel safer when things are clear and out in the open, and when all the adults agree on the rules. He may want to be reassured that what you are doing is OK.

How old is he?

Indeed, it's on my list of things 'to-do' in the more immediate future with some careful timing I'm hoping to chat with my folks in the next few weeks. Certainly him picking up on some makeup is something he's done to me before, though usually at home the next day, etc. I know that my therapist wants me to come out to my folks sooner than later so he'll have more people to talk to about this, and I'm in agreement..

I've talked to him about how I don't really consider my dressing a secret as much as its 'selective' knowledge that is held by dear and close friends. I've told him more than once now if people find out, then they find out, and I'll have to deal with that, though I'd rather tell people at my own pace. This poses a tricky situation for him because he may not always be aware of who knows and who doesn't, so it's time to extend the umbrella of comfort to my parents at least. I've tried to make a good point to tell him if certain friends now about Angel as he interacts with them, hopefully to foster an environment of trust and understanding so that as time progresses he won't feel ashamed of me. I think that's where part of the visual analysis comes from, as he's very concerned about how I'm presenting and his current integration with the rest of /his/ peripheral life.

Even my SO and I had a chuckle about it last night.. yep, if my mother doesn't already know, I'd be very surprised.