PDA

View Full Version : Alter Ego or Second Self

JuAnn
02-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Do you ever feel that you are two persons? I am very aware of my male side and my female side. I recently had a medical emergency and spent two weeks in a coma. Since that event my female side has stepped right up and is very prominent in my life. I have become so interested in fashion, make-up etc. My male side seems to want my female persona to dominate and I want to be her more and more.
JuAnn

Jocelyn Quivers
02-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Without trying to confuse anyone else or myself by thinking too much into this. Yes although my male and femme side tend to be at a constant war or struggle with each other.

docrobbysherry
02-24-2009, 01:15 AM
I am NOT aware of a "consious" female persona.
She seems to do whatever I want, whenever I want.:)

So, WHY do I have the feeling I'm wrapped around her finger?:brolleyes:

crusadergirl
02-24-2009, 03:12 AM
yeah i would say i have an alter ego its like being a superhero only thing is i don't save lives.

Lisa Golightly
02-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Oh, there's just me rattling around this rather empty head... There's a definite echo though... Is that tumbleweed? ;)

I think your experience may have brought something forward that you may have been suppressing... Hanging around with Mr Reaper tends to do that.

Hope you are recovering well...

Lisa x

Jess_cd32
02-24-2009, 06:09 AM
The trick is to accept the two and balance them both out in a healthy way, to integrate the two and to begin to think as one.
One of the links in this discusses just that and so much more. I'm still yet to read them all.

Edit: This is from context from one theory listed first (Jung's Anima Theory)

..........The anima theory implies that a crossdresser can, once he allows his female traits back into awareness, proceed to the step of complete personality integration. Then he is fully equipped to live life. His various potentials are harmonized and able to work together. Such a person can accomplish great things. On the other hand, if integration does not occur, the man lives divided. A simple analogy would be that of like trying to drive a car with the brakes on. But perhaps a better analogy would be like trying to drive a car with two engines, each pulling the car in a different direction.

The idea then, is that the crossdresser does not literally wish to be a woman. He is trying to become himself fully. Crossdressing is, in a certain sense, a positive victory for the natural urge to integrate the personality, and to activate all potentials...................

Here is the link about the Anima Theory:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cathytg/anima.htm
And link to more theories.....
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cathytg/essays.htm

Kate Simmons
02-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Understanding yin/yang energy dynamics can be very complicated sometimes as they complement one another. We utilize each faction individually or together as needed regardless of what we are physically.:)

Michelle_Tokyo
02-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Interesting idea, but like so much terminology depends on how we view it. I see Alter Ego as an entire second person. With me though I feel I am one person much of whom remains covered up most of the time. Kind of like the dark side of the moon maybe. ;)

Shannon
02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
A long time ago, when I first started crossdressing and it was simply a sexual thing for me, I kept it very well compartmentalized and separated from my core being. Not a good thing to do because is led to a lot of secrecy, denial and shame on my part.

Over the years, especially the last four or five years, I have integrated by masculine and feminine aspects happily together. It is a wonderful place to be.

Sarah...
02-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Do you ever feel that you are two persons?

Not any more. At one time I worked hard to create a sort of man exterior to disguise who I was. Too much like hard work! Much easier being me cos I'm only one person after all :)

Sarah...

JoAnne Wheeler
02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure that I see a big difference in the two - when I am dressed, I am JoAnne, and when I'm not, I still want to be JoAnne. My male self/ego has to work and interact in social functions in a small Southern town. I only wish that I could be JoAnne fulltime.

JoAnne Wheeler

Ruth
02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I do wonder about this. Anima theory has already been mentioned, and I find this a useful explanation for things, but the anima is not the same as an alter ego. I would say it's more of an energy which you have, which is directed towards feminine thoughts, feelings and activities. I think the essential self remains the same, but may be pulled one way or the other, depending on the strength of the anima.

Deborah Jane
02-24-2009, 05:00 PM
No, i'm the same person regardless of what i'm wearing and how i present myself.
I used to wonder whether i had separate personas but over time i've realised i'm just me, albeit somewhat prettier when i'm dressed girly.

Lana.S
02-24-2009, 05:01 PM
yeah i would say i have an alter ego its like being a superhero only thing is i don't save lives.
That's how it is for me too. It's my secret identity.

Even though it could change over time, right now I enjoy keeping it that way.

:shades:

charlie
02-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Hello JuAnn!
I do not feel an altered ego, rather a blended person that has new strong feminine desires. I never watched the Academy Awards, didn't know who the actors and actresses were. Now I watch the Red Carpet part to enjoy the dresses and jewelery! I never shop for men's clothes...Charlie can drain my bank account and still not be satisfied. It is the same person with different likes and dislikes then before CD. The tough part for me is acting more male in seemingly male situations and having to think about how I'm acting at all.

Cheryl T
02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Halter Ego? No, I don't think so I only have one halter bra...

Second Self...definitely not...I couldn't stand 2 of me around.

It's just me, myself and I...ohh...darn that's a menage a trois isn't it...LOL.

I'm always Cheryl, but sometimes a little male...what can I say

suchacutie
02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
I've become a believer in the notion that the differing experiences men and women have in the first 20 years of their lives (if not longer) produce all manner of different approaches to thought, language, posture, and problem-solving. We're trying the approach that the knowledge of Tina and her male self is the same, while the use of that knowledge is not necessarily the same at all. In our house there are often conversations about the same topic in order to get both of my opinions!!!

I do think this is more common in those of us who wish to maintain both genders. It does get a little freaky when the two genders don't functionally agree about a certain topic, but it just goes with the territory!

tina

Gabrielle Hermosa
02-24-2009, 07:56 PM
I tend to have two sides: my male side and my female/feminine side. In some ways, I feel like Gabrielle is my alter-ego. There's also the fact that all that I am, masculine and feminine, is really at the root of me.

I started out as pretty much just me. But from a young age, I was forced in to male-mode because I'm genetically male. Everyone in my life had certain expectations of what a boy should be, and so I had to try and fit in to those expectations, even though my feminine side was (and is) very strong.

In many ways, I wanted to be pretty and girly, but that wasn't allowed, and so the split began. What I wanted and felt like was pushed aside, and even buried deep within me while I tried to exist as what society expected me to be.

The result was a practiced character I learned to put on called "Gabe" - my man-side. Don't get me wrong, I have my "man-interests" but I was never really masculine in appearance or mannerisms. The masculine mannerisms were learned behaviors I picked up by watching other men and even by being taught or corrected when I wasn't acting manly enough.

So Gabrielle is my alter ego, second self, and exists at the very root of who I am. I often wonder what life would have been like if boys were simply allowed to be who they are rather than what society expects them to be. Then there would be no alter-ego or second self - just me as I would choose to be. Imagine that.

Kendra (Tx)
02-24-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm me, whether I'm "me, him" or "me, Kendra"...I just happen to prefer the Kendra more often then not...But either is still "just me" :D

http://kendra954.com

Carly D.
02-25-2009, 07:51 PM
That would be easy to say.. truth is I feel the same when I dress up.. the biggest difference is I like the way I feel when I am wearing Carly's clothes...